Jeff Sullivan: Dez contract closer than appears

VirusX

Reaction score
Mmmm no. They don't want to set the price. There's others in the same position as Dez like Demariuous Thomas who also got tagged and Julio Jones and AJ Green who might get extended. I thought the market was set by Megatron around $16M a year but since the onwers have the franchise tag leverage they control the market. So other than create a distraction the player has no leverage.

You're somewhat making my point. We have the leverage, Dez knows we are going to pay him. And keeping us in the news is always good for merch sales etc...

silver

Reaction score
You're somewhat making my point. We have the leverage, Dez knows we are going to pay him. And keeping us in the news is always good for merch sales etc...

I doubt Dez is on board with using his lack of leverage to make more money for the Jones'. If anything he wants a bigger piece of the pie and is not too happy about the franchise tag rules. It's probably killing Jerry too as we all know how loyal he can be to his superstars. They will wait as long as it takes and if nobody else blinks will try to sign him at the 11th hour IMO, just to avoid the distractions during camp.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Sullivan can sometimes throw some stuff at the wall to see what sticks... but I hope he is right about this one.

It doesn't take tea leaves to predict what he just did. Dez at camp. Dez catching passes. Dez taping promos for Sunday Night Football = Dez is close to signing.

I mean, really. Who couldn't predict this?

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
The irony of this.... Not poking fun but when I read your post and then looked at your Avi, I could not help but be struck with the irony of a poster who represents Sasquatch asking if the statement was credible.

LOL........ Struck me funny Sas.

I am a skeptic who requires hard proof, obviously. ;)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Mmmm no. They don't want to set the price. There's others in the same position as Dez like Demariuous Thomas who also got tagged and Julio Jones and AJ Green who might get extended. I thought the market was set by Megatron around $16M a year but since the onwers have the franchise tag leverage they control the market. So other than create a distraction the player has no leverage.

I don't see how another team overpaying would miraculously make DAL decide to guarantee him 40m.

They would just realize they probably won't sign him long term and let him play out the franchise tag.

As a player, I would never be so insecure that I wouldn't sign a multi-million dollar guaranteed deal because some other guy might sign a little better deal in the future.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sullivan isn't anyone's fool...and he is sound in his associations. He views things as an intense fan.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

not sure that article makes a ton of sense.
dez is already guaranteed a lot of money this year and he can take (more) loans out if he wants it today versus as 16 game checks.
not like a bank will reject him with a guarantee of 16 massive game checks coming his way.
he'll be making a few million per month.
unless the are offering a huge upfront lump sum on a long term deal the rest is pretty even.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Sullivan can sometimes throw some stuff at the wall to see what sticks... but I hope he is right about this one.

Agree first its not gonna happen this year to its closer than some think. So we realistically we are at a snowballs chance at room temperature?