Jeremiah Ratliff

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
the second best player on our defense?

i think so..

everyone questions his size at his position...but he continues to make play after freaking play.

i love jay.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
who's the guy who has a sig of SilverBear saying that Ratliff shouldn't make the Pro Bowl? :muttley:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I am glad to see Jay making plays again. He's a dang good player on that D-Line for us.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I can't help but laugh at the people who want to put him in the 4-3 at DE. He's doing fine in the 3-4. A damn good job. You don't need a huge tackle to be in the 3-4. You just need a good one and we have a GREAT one.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
rocyaice;2438969 said:
I can't help but laugh at the people who want to put him in the 4-3 at DE. He's doing fine in the 3-4. A damn good job. You don't need a huge tackle to be in the 3-4. You just need a good one and we have a GREAT one.

you ain't just whistling dixie..

he has one thing that most players don't in this day and age..

it's called heart.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
lane;2438990 said:
you ain't just whistling dixie..

he has one thing that most players don't in this day and age..

it's called heart.

I agree. I wonder what was the process when the 7th round came along 3 years ago. Where the Boys happy he fell that low? What a find. With the exception of Newman and Ware our best players come in later rounds which is why I didn't cry when we traded our 1st rounder to the Lions.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
rocyaice;2438969 said:

I don't recall a single person that has said they want him at DE in a 4-3.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
rocyaice;2438969 said:

I think Rat and our D would be better off if Rat was moved to DE in the 3-4

shoot, if we get another Ratliff type to play NT, but be a little more stouter against the run, w/ a quality player to rotate w/ him not Tank Johnson this D would be awesome

Smith22

Reaction score
Ware, Rat and TNew are the stars on defense. Spencer is coming along fine and Scandrick looks solid as well. Give me 1 more star LB'er and 1 star safety and this defense could become deadly.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
No one said put him at DE in the 4-3, they said put him at DT in the 4-3.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Smith22;2439814 said:
Ware, Rat and TNew are the stars on defense. Spencer is coming along fine and Scandrick looks solid as well. Give me 1 more star LB'er and 1 star safety and this defense could become deadly.

It's funny, every year we always need more and more on defense. During training camp though, especially this year, the players, coaches, fans and media had this defense pegged to be top 3. Certain parts like our LB's and secondary where rated #1 in the entire year talent wise before the regular season started.

I agree with moving Ratliff to DE in the 3-4 and getting a monster NT. I think we should move Hamlin to SS, meaning RW is gonzo and so be it with his contract to production ratio. This would mean we'd need a cover FS also. ILB I am more than positive Bradie and Zach are here next year but if a stud is out there for the inside I wouldn't mind grabbing him.

The bottom line though is that getting these 3 things done i the offseason is 50/50 at best.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Smith22;2439814 said:
We can't afford a new round of "stars", unless we hit it lucky in the draft. Few defenses have that many "stars". Most have to make do with a lot less talent than the Cowboys have.

Personally, I'd like a big NT to allow Ratliff to play DE, and a new ILB, since Thomas is so old.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2439018 said:
I think Rat and our D would be better off if Rat was moved to DE in the 3-4

shoot, if we get another Ratliff type to play NT, but be a little more stouter against the run, w/ a quality player to rotate w/ him not Tank Johnson this D would be awesome

I actually think Tank is better suited at the DE in this defense.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Torn_ACL;2438946 said:
Just imagine him inside on a 4-3.
We caught a glimpse of that in the SF game when we had them pinned on the one yard line. Rat and Tank were the DT's and we absolutely stuffed Gore.

Smith22

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2439846 said:
We can't afford a new round of "stars", unless we hit it lucky in the draft. Few defenses have that many "stars". Most have to make do with a lot less talent than the Cowboys have.

Personally, I'd like a big NT to allow Ratliff to play DE, and a new ILB, since Thomas is so old.

Compare what Pitt and Baltimore have at LB'er compared to us.

3-4 defenses need to be talented at LB'er. It should be the position we are rather deep at. Instead, we have Ware and a bunch of question marks for the most part. Yeah, Thomas is solid, but old in the tooth. Same with Ellis. Spencer looks to be developing, but needs to stay on the field now that he is healthy.

VACowboy

Reaction score
We need a big NT so Rat can move to DE...

Terrance Cody - 6-5, 365 - Alabama
BJ Raji - 6-1, 323 - Boston College
Vince Oghobaase - 6-6, 315 - Duke
Ron Brace - 6-3, 330 - Boston College
Dorell Scott - 6-4, 313 - Clemson
Antoine Dixon - 6-1, 328 - Miami

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
VACowboy;2440164 said:
We need a big NT so Rat can move to DE...

Terrance Cody - 6-5, 365 - Alabama
BJ Raji - 6-1, 323 - Boston College
Vince Oghobaase - 6-6, 315 - Duke
Ron Brace - 6-3, 330 - Boston College
Dorell Scott - 6-4, 313 - Clemson
Antoine Dixon - 6-1, 328 - Miami

It doesn't seem like Wade's scheme asks the DE's to do more than anchor against the run or occupy linemen so the lb's can make plays. They only get garbage sacks and rarely get pressure. If we move Ratliff to DE then they have to change the scheme to allow him to penetrate, cause I'm pretty sure things as they are, he'd be asked to do the same thing, free linebackers and defend the run.

That being said, I'd like to see him lined up next to Ware on the same side, that could be a problem.