Jeremiah Ratliff

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
VACowboy;2440164 said:
We need a big NT so Rat can move to DE...

Terrance Cody - 6-5, 365 - Alabama
BJ Raji - 6-1, 323 - Boston College
Vince Oghobaase - 6-6, 315 - Duke
Ron Brace - 6-3, 330 - Boston College
Dorell Scott - 6-4, 313 - Clemson
Antoine Dixon - 6-1, 328 - Miami

That's if Vince and Cody come out this year if they don't I don't want anyone off that list

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
TheCount;2440182 said:
It doesn't seem like Wade's scheme asks the DE's to do more than anchor against the run or occupy linemen so the lb's can make plays. They only get garbage sacks and rarely get pressure. If we move Ratliff to DE then they have to change the scheme to allow him to penetrate, cause I'm pretty sure things as they are, he'd be asked to do the same thing, free linebackers and defend the run.

That being said, I'd like to see him lined up next to Ware on the same side, that could be a problem.

Good points, but I think that would be a situation where it's the coaches job to get the best players on the field, and get the most out of them. In that case, it would be Wades duty to use Ratliff's strengths, and get him in the backfield.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
TheCount;2440182 said:
It doesn't seem like Wade's scheme asks the DE's to do more than anchor against the run or occupy linemen so the lb's can make plays. They only get garbage sacks and rarely get pressure. If we move Ratliff to DE then they have to change the scheme to allow him to penetrate, cause I'm pretty sure things as they are, he'd be asked to do the same thing, free linebackers and defend the run.

That being said, I'd like to see him lined up next to Ware on the same side, that could be a problem.

I agree with you that it seems like Phillips only asks his DE's to anchor in and take on people... but when he was the D Coordinator in Buffalo, he had Bruce Smith who made plenty of sacks... so maybe that's what our guys are suited to do?

VACowboy

Reaction score
TheCount;2440182 said:

Chris Canty and Marcus Speares rarely get pressure, but I don't think that's by design. If anything, Wade's defense calls for DEs to "anchor" and "occupy" less than a traditional 3-4 where all DL have two-gap responsibilities (as opposed to the one-gap scheme Wade uses). Luis Castillo was constantly hitting QBs when Wade was in San Diego.

Reaction score
Imagine Ratliff at DE and Dallas finally drafting a big NT come next draft... Then they could move him inside on obvious passing downs.

Mysterio

Benched
Reaction score
rocyaice;2438969 said:
I can't help but laugh at the people who want to put him in the 4-3 at DE. He's doing fine in the 3-4. A damn good job. You don't need a huge tackle to be in the 3-4. You just need a good one and we have a GREAT one.

Um, yes you do.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Smith22;2440035 said:
Compare what Pitt and Baltimore have at LB'er compared to us.

3-4 defenses need to be talented at LB'er. It should be the position we are rather deep at. Instead, we have Ware and a bunch of question marks for the most part. Yeah, Thomas is solid, but old in the tooth. Same with Ellis. Spencer looks to be developing, but needs to stay on the field now that he is healthy.
Compare what Baltimore and Pitt have on offense to us.

We can't replace 3 or 4 guys with top line players. Just isn't going to happen.