Jerry’s defense gave up 159 rush yards per game, what’s he gonna do about it?

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
*Fletcher Cox? I don't know any other way to say it : he's an impressive football player, bound to elevate the game play of his immediate teammates out on the field.
Tho, the reason of my participation in this thread is pose the question: what did Dallas do about Aldon Smith? Did he walk? Are they negotiating terms?,,, Is he signed?
( Somewhere) I think was sportin' #56

He should be resigned as depth pick, the guy from Jets is overrated?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So guys what has Jerry and the front office done to improve this 31st ranked rush defense giving up 159 rushing yards per game.

I have yet to see a single move made by this organization to improve this category.

The players they brought in doesn’t move the needle. Carlos Watkins is an undersized DE trying to play DT, his weak butt is going to turn into a I-hop short-stack pancake meal for opposing OL.

Brent Urban is an oversized DE trying to play NT/DT will get thrown around like a cinnamon stick with no bend and ability to play with leverage.

All i know is any loss this team takes and the defense gives up 30+ point will not be on DAK. Matter of fact he will be asking for 50 million per year to carry weight of the 31st ranked Defense?

P.S. just about every high-powered offense lost the SB besides New Orleans Saints that also had top 12 defense that year.

https://youtu.be/P0zuCOfcSjc

there wasn't much really available and this defense needs a lot of help. if we don't draft well, we have no chance of improving through FA. there isn't enough money to sign multiple impact FAs and a lot of those available are older and on the down side of their career wanting too much money..

15 years. 43 defensive draft picks. 1 impact player. 42 not worth keeping (well, lets wait on diggs). that's where the problem is.

jnday

Reaction score
Not going to happen. We’re taking a cornerback a defensive tackle a cornerback and then a linebacker
The only reason why Jerry doesn’t draft Pitts will be because Pitts is not available with the 10th pick. If you think Jerry is going to pass on a player that he really wants to draft just because they need defensive players, then you need to study the last draft when Jerry drafted Lamb. Jerry was giddy after drafting that shiny new toy.

Reactions: ICP

ICP

Reaction score
If history tells us anything he'll draft Pitts in the 1st round and do very little else to really help the defense. Besides, when you have a 'Cornerstone' defensive player like Jaylon Smith how much else do you really need.

Yeah I know it's more sarcasm but that mentality that the front office has had towards defense has been par for the course and I'm doubtful it changes.

jnday

Reaction score
He should be resigned as depth pick, the guy from Jets is overrated?
I have read a couple articles that stated the former Jets DE that Dallas signed in free agency , is the worst FA signing in this offseason. You can take it with a grain of salt , but the criticism is out there. Aldon Smith has too many personal problems for Dallas to resign him. I read that Dallas has already made that decision by Thanksgiving last year.

plasticman

Reaction score
I'm thinking a lot of the defensive problems had to do with learning a completely different defense despite no minicamps, training camp, and preseason games. When you add in the injuries, it was just too much adversity to overcome.

With that said, the Cowboys desperately need to improve the DT's. Unfortunately, they will get little help from a thin draft at that position. They need at ;east two defensive playmakers from this draft. I'm thinking they get Surtain and then move up in the draft to get another elite defender that slips.

jnday

Reaction score
I say we need to trade down with NE to 15. We need bodies/picks. Gives us some ammo to move back up as well. Sitting pat isnt the way to go this year. I love Tevin Jenkins. I would be fine with him late 1 or early round 2. He solves alot of ills on the oline. Makes us better in so many ways. Helps Zeke.
If they could find a team wanting the 10th pick and they was willing to trade up, it could easily put Dallas out of position to draft Parsons or one of the decent CBs. This is not a good defensive draft as it is and Dallas needs to be in a position to draft one of the few defensive players that has the potential to be a quality starter.

jnday

Reaction score
I'm thinking a lot of the defensive problems had to do with learning a completely different defense despite no minicamps, training camp, and preseason games. When you add in the injuries, it was just too much adversity to overcome.

With that said, the Cowboys desperately need to improve the DT's. Unfortunately, they will get little help from a thin draft at that position. They need at ;east two defensive playmakers from this draft. I'm thinking they get Surtain and then move up in the draft to get another elite defender that slips.
Nolan’s scheme definitely made the defense look worse than it actually is. Quinn’s scheme will be more familiar and comfortable for the players. I don’t know if Quinn is going to be the answer at DC though. He has been responsible for some bad defenses himself.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The only reason why Jerry doesn’t draft Pitts will be because Pitts is not available with the 10th pick. If you think Jerry is going to pass on a player that he really wants to draft just because they need defensive players, then you need to study the last draft when Jerry drafted Lamb. Jerry was giddy after drafting that shiny new toy.
I have no problem drafting Pitts at 10 because I know he wont be there, I have a problem with Jerry selling the farm to move up to draft him.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you think Jerry are you still in charge guess again.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Jerry's mentality, he's probably thinking long snapper, kicker or fullback.

glimmerman

Reaction score
So guys what has Jerry and the front office done to improve this 31st ranked rush defense giving up 159 rushing yards per game.

I have yet to see a single move made by this organization to improve this category.

The players they brought in doesn’t move the needle. Carlos Watkins is an undersized DE trying to play DT, his weak butt is going to turn into a I-hop short-stack pancake meal for opposing OL.

Brent Urban is an oversized DE trying to play NT/DT will get thrown around like a cinnamon stick with no bend and ability to play with leverage.

All i know is any loss this team takes and the defense gives up 30+ point will not be on DAK. Matter of fact he will be asking for 50 million per year to carry weight of the 31st ranked Defense?

P.S. just about every high-powered offense lost the SB besides New Orleans Saints that also had top 12 defense that year.

https://youtu.be/P0zuCOfcSjc

He had a plan last year and one of the beasts got injured and the other had nothing in his tank. I think it was poe. He could have just squatted and fell down in the hole and did better, but he got pushed out all the time. The middle is a area that needed taken care of years ago. Like safety.

lqmac1

Reaction score
It’s funny how people only blame Jerry for the bad things & never praise the positives.

Idk, maybe he’ll bring in defensive minded guy who coordinated one of the best defenses off all time or something.

jnday

Reaction score
I have no problem drafting Pitts at 10 because I know he wont be there, I have a problem with Jerry selling the farm to move up to draft him.
I lot of people knew that Lamb would not be available when to Cowboys pick cane up in the last draft. Even Jerry that it could never happen, but surprise , surprise.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Free agency has slowed to a snail's pace, and the middle of the (historically bad) defense has the same starters as last year. Stephen says Quinn will make the difference...no pressure Coach.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I lot of people knew that Lamb would not be available when to Cowboys pick cane up in the last draft. Even Jerry that it could never happen, but surprise , surprise.
Lamb was great pick and great value.
I dont even have an issue with the value part as long as its a great pick.
Just for example, I dont have a problem taking Horn at 10 if that is the FO direction and they like Horn better than Surtain, or Surtain get drafted before 10.
Doesnt matter if by most expert rankings and countless mocks have Horn goin a few spots below, if you covet the player than just draft him.