Jerry admits to asking about WR availability

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Just saw this on Yahoo! Sports.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones acknowledged Tuesday he has asked another team about the availability of a veteran wideout according to the San Antonio Express-News.

"I wouldn't give who it was, but the answer is yes, we have talked (with another team)" Jones told reporters in Irving. "I wouldn't give you a time frame on it either, if you're talking the last week or the last few days. But certainly since (the start) of the offseason."

With Terry Glenn's status for next season uncertain, the Cowboys are in the market for a receiver to take pressure off Terrell Owens. Speaking at a news conference to discuss the draft, Jones said the first round Saturday wouldn't yield such a player. Jones emphatically denied that he's talked to Cincinnati about the availability of disgruntled receiver Chad Johnson, who is threatening to sit out the season if he doesn't get a new contract. ESPN reported this week that the Bengals informed Washington, which was offering its first-round pick (No. 21) and a conditional third-rounder in 2009, that Johnson wasn't available. Arizona's Anquan Boldin and Detroit's Roy Williams are other veteran receivers the Cowboys could be eyeing.

Hailmary

Reaction score
What is Glenn's status? Have there been any reports during the recent voluntary workouts concerning him?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hailmary;2048812 said:
What is Glenn's status? Have there been any reports during the recent voluntary workouts concerning him?

I haven't seen/heard ANY reports on his status whatsoever.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hailmary;2048812 said:
Jerry's consistently said that he's going to be ready for next season and will contribute.

His knee condition should be fine unless he re-injures it.

calico

Reaction score
I don't even want to think of the possibilities if Jerry can pull off the Roy Williams trade...my nipples could cut glass just thinking of it.

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2048819 said:
Jerry's consistently said that he's going to be ready for next season and will contribute.

Why will he be fine? He is bone-to-bone, that's gotta hurt!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
theogt;2048819 said:

There is good reason his knee will not be ok even without reinjury. He apparently has enough cartilage missing to be considered for microfracture surgery. That means enough to cause both symptoms and signs. They can likely controll symptoms but if his knee swells enough to cause training problems he will have trouble regaining his form. And it could cause enough problems for him to have a limp and not run effectively. Without knowing what his arthroscopy looked like or how he is doing, it is impossible to make any predictions, good or not.

I'd make an educated guess his changes are less than 50-50. But I'm pulling for him. He would be an answer at WR.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jobberone;2048968 said:
There is good reason his knee will not be ok even without reinjury. He apparently has enough cartilage missing to be considered for microfracture surgery. That means enough to cause both symptoms and signs. They can likely controll symptoms but if his knee swells enough to cause training problems he will have trouble regaining his form. And it could cause enough problems for him to have a limp and not run effectively. Without knowing what his arthroscopy looked like or how he is doing, it is impossible to make any predictions, good or not.

I'd make an educated guess his changes are less than 50-50. But I'm pulling for him. He would be an answer at WR.
Well, I see two things going on here. First, he was healthy enough to play in 2 games at the end of last season without much of a problem. And second, Jerry has repeatedly said that he'll play in 2008. I just see no reason to think otherwise, really.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CactusCowboy;2048949 said:
Why will he be fine? He is bone-to-bone, that's gotta hurt!

Duct tape, my friend! That and one of them axle grease serts things, and he's good to go...

:eek:

J-DOG

Reaction score
From what I have read about Glenn's injury last season...he is definitely iffy about playing a big amount of time next season.
But I do not see a wr in this draft who is going to come in here and move past Austin,Stanbeck,Hurd and Crayton to the starting lineup. I do not see one who could be our 3rd wr.
So why would we pick one in the first day of the draft?
Only way we get a wr on Saturday is dealing for Roy Williams.
Boldin and Chad Johnson are not going to be traded.
Looks like the Skins will offer up the kitchen sink to land Roy Williams after hearing what they would give up for Chad Johnson.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2048819 said:

Yesterday morning Jerry also said the Pacman deal wasn't going anywhere.

Boysboy

Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;2048750 said:
Just saw this on Yahoo! Sports.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones acknowledged Tuesday he has asked another team about the availability of a veteran wideout according to the San Antonio Express-News.

"I wouldn't give who it was, but the answer is yes, we have talked (with another team)" Jones told reporters in Irving. "I wouldn't give you a time frame on it either, if you're talking the last week or the last few days. But certainly since (the start) of the offseason."

With Terry Glenn's status for next season uncertain, the Cowboys are in the market for a receiver to take pressure off Terrell Owens. Speaking at a news conference to discuss the draft, Jones said the first round Saturday wouldn't yield such a player. Jones emphatically denied that he's talked to Cincinnati about the availability of disgruntled receiver Chad Johnson, who is threatening to sit out the season if he doesn't get a new contract. ESPN reported this week that the Bengals informed Washington, which was offering its first-round pick (No. 21) and a conditional third-rounder in 2009, that Johnson wasn't available. Arizona's Anquan Boldin and Detroit's Roy Williams are other veteran receivers the Cowboys could be eyeing.

Even Mort reported that not only Dallas, but Philly and Washington as well inquired Cincy about Chad.

This is hardly news.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2049055 said:
Yesterday morning Jerry also said the Pacman deal wasn't going anywhere.
He said there were no updates and he didn't think the draft would change that. That may have changed for other reasons. I think Tennessee got scared because of the "extortion" report.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Jerry said in his pre-draft press conference that he wasn't certain where Terry Glenn was in his recovery and that he was optomistic that he will play this year. He did not say one time that Glenn would play, for sure, this year.

He even went on to say if Terry could wind up getting back to form, and playing, that the WR situation, for this year, might be sitting right there on the roster to fix itself. But he made sure that he was optomistically cautious cause he had no idea where Terry was at in his return for this year.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I would really love to see TO, Boldin, Glenn and Crayton... the last two can alternate #3 and 4... sprinkle in Stanback and Hurd

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Boysboy;2049058 said:
Even Mort reported that not only Dallas, but Philly and Washington as well inquired Cincy about Chad.

This is hardly news.

But he's never come out and said he's contacted a team in regards to the availability of a WR. That, my friend, is news.