Jerry and Bill's Plan - I think I see it.

Champsheart

Reaction score
The first thing I would like to say is this board has been full of fans complaining that Bill and Jerry where going to go get the older vets. We have to get younger was the cry, not go get guys with just a couple of years left.

Well that is what they seem to be doing, as there are few young guys out on the market worth anything, but they did sign 2 younger guys that should just get better, and to contracts that will not hamper us in the future.

Going into FA I think most of us believed the needs where - Center, RT, FS, LB, K, and possibly FB and WR.

Now I think it would be pretty fair to say that the plan has to be a combination of FA and the draft.

If you look at this draft it actually has a lot of good players at positions of need.

Lets take our needs one at a time -

Center - I am beginning to think Dallas did not like any options in FA. Yes there was an old Mawae, but coming off injury and 35 years old I can see why he was not in the plan, especially for the money he got. IMO we really should have snagged Bentley and this is where the big money should have gone. That did not happen and I think Dallas goes back to Gurode or Johnson. I heard Johnson has put on some weight, fingers crossed. This position greatly concerns me though, and there are a couple real good Centers in the Draft, but I think our picks go elsewhere.

RT - Really when you look at it, who is out there that is really any good and not ready for the retirment home, Fabini? Well he came in and left after a physical if reports are correct. Sounds like Ryan Young all over again. I do like Runyan as a vet addition, but he is on vacation and said he had no plans to talk to teams until his vacation was over. After that any other RT is average at best IMO. Yes that would be an upgrade, but honestly there are quit a few nice RT's in the draft, and IMO unless Runyan is added this is the plan IMO. Why sigh an average RT, and probably give him more money than he is worth when the draft can cover it with a better and cheaper player.

FS- I am beginning to think the draft has been the plan all along. Marcus Coleman may come cheap later as a backup plan, but in all honesty the draft is full of FS's. Lots of good options here on the first day. Shoot why pay $5 million a year for an average Chaveous or Hope, when there are possibly 4 or 5 budding stars at FS in this draft.

LB - Once again this is a very deep position in the draft, and we have signed AA who many people are very high on. I think Dallas will still make a possible play here in FA if the player and price is right, but with so many options in the draft, why go old and overspend.

K - There are still several option including Vanderjagt (SP), Vinaterri, Brown, and possibly Mare out there. We will get one I am sure, we have no other choice, but really so far only one has been signed, Longwell. Sorry never liked Bryant.

FB- The FA market always comes in late at this position. They will not get much money, and I would not be surprised to see a signing in the next couple of weeks. With guys like Sowell, Strong, Davenport,and Beasley out there we can probably sign one for not much money at all. Not one FB has been signed yet.

WR - I am completly stumped and have no idea what we are doing here. Jerry has to have a plan and it is obvious at this point we better resign Key, or sign T.O. No choice here IMO.

So to wrap this up dont just look at the FA plan, look at the whole plan.

This years Draft may just be the deepest at FS, LB/Hybrid, and RT. 3 huge areas of need. There is no reason to go after some of the guys who have been signing for the money they are getting when there are IMO better players in the draft then what is in FA.

Other areas of need like K and FB we have man options left in FA, and it looks like Center was never in the plans, and I have to think Jerry knows what he is doing with this WR thing, at least I hope so.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Well thought out post. I agree with most everything you said. Like yourself I believe FS, OLB, and OT will be addressed via the draft.

DBoys

Reaction score
Good post

What guys need to understand about all of this is the bargaining behind it. It's like going in to buy a car if you walk into the dealership they are in control. If you negotiate outside over the phone you are in control.

There is no difference with FA players. Terrell Owens thought he was going to come out and get paid and seriously thought his actions would have no consequences. Now he realizes nobody wants to give him guaranteed money cept prolly Dallas. The problem is Owens and Rosenhaus thought they could come out and get other interested teams and start jacking the price up on Dallas. TO target has been Dallas all along and Dallas knows it. They also know that nobody can compete with them because they will probably be the last call to match anyway.

Dallas is in complete control and are very poised right now. Honestly I am very impressed with the org so far. We have a long offseason and a lot of things can happen.

Sign him don't sign him I don't care I am a Cowboys fan.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Good post. Very true too. We must get young, we just got younger.

Understand pple see Jones history with the splashes, the 'perceived' battle to 1 up the jones, with Snyder. They expect this now. I think Jerrys learnt his lesson and has decided that he does not want to engage Snyder in a pissing contest. We will concede the offseason crown to the skins every year, that fine with me.

We have time to sign many more FAs. We have the money to sign several more FAs. The fans just dont have the patiences to wait on a master piece. But as Leonardo will tell you, it took 40 years to finish the 'Mona lisa' and he never considered it totally done. (not the ninja turtle, Di Vinci,). The best things in life are worth waiting on. The saying 'only fools rush in where angels fear to tread' is rooted in a grain of truth. For a reason!

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
As far as center is concerned, it doesn't matter how much weight Johnson puts on, he either has it or he doesn't. Stepnoski had a long pro-bowl career, never weighing more than 250 pounds. I think Johnson is another in our long list of failed second round linemen.

As far as the other psoitons, you mentioned that they could all be filled via the draft. That means that we have to hit on each and every pick we make to be not only make the team, but to contirbute immediately.

At WR, I am stumped just like the rest of you. Even if they do sign TO, (I hope they don't), they still need to upgrade the position. What id Glenn gets injured, we are screwed once again. We were lucky to have Glenn for the full season last year, but we lost Crayton and that really hurt us.

kartr

Reaction score
Champsheart said:
The first thing I would like to say is this board has been full of fans complaining that Bill and Jerry where going to go get the older vets. We have to get younger was the cry, not go get guys with just a couple of years left.

Well that is what they seem to be doing, as there are few young guys out on the market worth anything, but they did sign 2 younger guys that should just get better, and to contracts that will not hamper us in the future.

Going into FA I think most of us believed the needs where - Center, RT, FS, LB, K, and possibly FB and WR.

Now I think it would be pretty fair to say that the plan has to be a combination of FA and the draft.

If you look at this draft it actually has a lot of good players at positions of need.

Lets take our needs one at a time -

Center - I am beginning to think Dallas did not like any options in FA. Yes there was an old Mawae, but coming off injury and 35 years old I can see why he was not in the plan, especially for the money he got. IMO we really should have snagged Bentley and this is where the big money should have gone. That did not happen and I think Dallas goes back to Gurode or Johnson. I heard Johnson has put on some weight, fingers crossed. This position greatly concerns me though, and there are a couple real good Centers in the Draft, but I think our picks go elsewhere.

RT - Really when you look at it, who is out there that is really any good and not ready for the retirment home, Fabini? Well he came in and left after a physical if reports are correct. Sounds like Ryan Young all over again. I do like Runyan as a vet addition, but he is on vacation and said he had no plans to talk to teams until his vacation was over. After that any other RT is average at best IMO. Yes that would be an upgrade, but honestly there are quit a few nice RT's in the draft, and IMO unless Runyan is added this is the plan IMO. Why sigh an average RT, and probably give him more money than he is worth when the draft can cover it with a better and cheaper player.

FS- I am beginning to think the draft has been the plan all along. Marcus Coleman may come cheap later as a backup plan, but in all honesty the draft is full of FS's. Lots of good options here on the first day. Shoot why pay $5 million a year for an average Chaveous or Hope, when there are possibly 4 or 5 budding stars at FS in this draft.

LB - Once again this is a very deep position in the draft, and we have signed AA who many people are very high on. I think Dallas will still make a possible play here in FA if the player and price is right, but with so many options in the draft, why go old and overspend.

K - There are still several option including Vanderjagt (SP), Vinaterri, Brown, and possibly Mare out there. We will get one I am sure, we have no other choice, but really so far only one has been signed, Longwell. Sorry never liked Bryant.

FB- The FA market always comes in late at this position. They will not get much money, and I would not be surprised to see a signing in the next couple of weeks. With guys like Sowell, Strong, Davenport,and Beasley out there we can probably sign one for not much money at all. Not one FB has been signed yet.

WR - I am completly stumped and have no idea what we are doing here. Jerry has to have a plan and it is obvious at this point we better resign Key, or sign T.O. No choice here IMO.

So to wrap this up dont just look at the FA plan, look at the whole plan.

This years Draft may just be the deepest at FS, LB/Hybrid, and RT. 3 huge areas of need. There is no reason to go after some of the guys who have been signing for the money they are getting when there are IMO better players in the draft then what is in FA.

Other areas of need like K and FB we have man options left in FA, and it looks like Center was never in the plans, and I have to think Jerry knows what he is doing with this WR thing, at least I hope so.

They may have a plan, but I doubt it's a good one, especially at WR. I'm going by what they did in 2004. They almost completely whiffed that year, which was his second and now this is the fourth year. I expect them to make good plans every other year and this is the even year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
great post

reason we haven't addressed RT and FS yet, look at the options? the 1st week or 2 of free agency is where NFL teams spend the most money, and no RT or FS on the market now, or that have been, are worth big money, so the Cowboys wait on those 2 positions until the market value is comparitive to the player, or should be, and then there's always the draft

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We made a big "SPLASH" last year in FA and where did it get us? Out of the playoffs - I don't care about the splash anymore, IMO, if you can get one great player in FA and then some solid additions around the team, and then have a monster draft, that's a great offseason.

31hammer

Reaction score
If Jerry is interested in Runyan. I wonder if he would come here if we were to sign T.O?

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
DBoys said:
Good post

What guys need to understand about all of this is the bargaining behind it. It's like going in to buy a car if you walk into the dealership they are in control. If you negotiate outside over the phone you are in control.

There is no difference with FA players. Terrell Owens thought he was going to come out and get paid and seriously thought his actions would have no consequences. Now he realizes nobody wants to give him guaranteed money cept prolly Dallas. The problem is Owens and Rosenhaus thought they could come out and get other interested teams and start jacking the price up on Dallas. TO target has been Dallas all along and Dallas knows it. They also know that nobody can compete with them because they will probably be the last call to match anyway.

Dallas is in complete control and are very poised right now. Honestly I am very impressed with the org so far. We have a long offseason and a lot of things can happen.

Sign him don't sign him I don't care I am a Cowboys fan.

I agree with all of this and the Cowboys' tactics as well.

Keep in mind my friends:
Roy
Witten
B. James
T New
Canty
et al...

...OUR own FAs coming up that we WILL want to keep. The Cowboys have actually drafted well lately and we have guys we will want to keep as the core of our team.

SouthernStar

Reaction score
Champsheart said:
Here is the only place you went wrong.

Wide receivers can come right in as rookies and START for NFL teams. WR (along with RB) are the ONLY positions in pro football that this can and does happen on a regular, YEARLY basis.

With our having the #18 position in the draft, we are "naturally set" to draft one in the first round (without moving up or down).

If San Antonio Holmes falls just a wee bit, he will be available to us there. If not, then Chad Jackson will most likely be available. In fact, many mock drafts have us taking Jackson in the first.

I know that many folks liked Keyshawn but, in my mind, he wasn't "really" a wide receiver. He was more like a tight end that played out wide. He is even built like a tight end. His big, tight end build allowed him to go over the middle for us. It also aided him in blocking on running plays. And his heigth allowed him to go up and get jump balls (on short routes). Did you ever see him going up and getting those jump balls 40 yards downfield? Thats what wide receivers do. Only they usually do it in full stride (something Keyshawn could not do...).

He is too slow (to stretch the field) and didn't get enough separation. This forces quarterbacks to be extremely accurate (which sometimes translates to taking more time in the pocket). And taking more time in the pocket is the ONE THING that we couldn't afford last year (and may not be able to afford this next season, either).

Classify Keyshawn as a "possession receiver" if you like, but not really a wide receiver. Wide receivers are thin, lanky, agile, fast, and shifty. Being tall is a bonus, but not necessary.

Terry Glenn was our #1 receiver (if you think about the attributes of most wide receivers).

I think that Patrick Crayton is going to get his chance. Many say he has the best hands on the team and he has some speed to go with it. With TWO speedy receivers (Glenn and Crayton) to stretch the field, a good pass-catching fullback can do most of what Keyshawn has done for us.

Look for that fullback to arrive (via free agency or draft) and look for another wide receiver to arrive (via draft) in case Crayton doesn't cut the mustard.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan said:

Keep in mind my friends:
Roy
Witten
B. James
T New
Canty
et al...

...OUR own FAs coming up that we WILL want to keep. The Cowboys have actually drafted well lately and we have guys we will want to keep as the core of our team.

:hammer:

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Champsheart said:
The first thing I would like to say is this board has been full of fans complaining that Bill and Jerry where going to go get the older vets. We have to get younger was the cry, not go get guys with just a couple of years left.... and I have to think Jerry knows what he is doing with this WR thing, at least I hope so.

Excellent post!

I tend to agree with just about everything you've put down, although I'd be on board with the possibility of J Walker for a 3rd. I wouldn't mind seeing Key come back either. Key will test the market, then we'll see.

I'm still holding out hope that we can get Vinateri. There's possiblity that we're waiting to see what Vanderjagt signs for before giving Vinateri an offer.

I think it's pretty clear that those two guys are top kickers available, and Vinateri is clearly the better of those two. Perhaps, we are waiting the the 'market to be set' (as JJ put it recently) with Vanderjagt and will then simply take that contract and add some cash to it in order to make Vinateri the highest paid kicker.

Even if we are NOT doing this, I feel Vinateri's agent is. I do believe that this is main reason Vinateri is still out there. It's clear that Vinateri deserves more money than any other kicker available, and his closest competition money-wise is Vanderjagt. I'd bet Vinateri's agent is playing it that way. Good chance NE is probably waiting for Vanderjagt to sign as well, so this concept doesn't necessarily give us a leg up.

But that's my theory and I'm stickin with it.

On the RT front, Fabini may still be in the running. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up bringing him in much later in the year...(post-draft). Give him a few months to get healthy an all and to see how other options pan out.

Once again. Excellent post!

david_jackson

Reaction score
I don't see any RT in the draft that could actually fall to us, and that would likely be effective as a Rookie starter. It may be the wise move to draft one but thinking that will be a good solution for Tackle this year may be a little optiimistic.

aikemirv

Reaction score
SouthernStar said:
Here is the only place you went wrong.

Wide receivers can come right in as rookies and START for NFL teams. WR (along with RB) are the ONLY positions in pro football that this can and does happen on a regular, YEARLY basis.

With our having the #18 position in the draft, we are "naturally set" to draft one in the first round (without moving up or down).

If San Antonio Holmes falls just a wee bit, he will be available to us there. If not, then Chad Jackson will most likely be available. In fact, many mock drafts have us taking Jackson in the first.

I know that many folks liked Keyshawn but, in my mind, he wasn't "really" a wide receiver. He was more like a tight end that played out wide. He is even built like a tight end. His big, tight end build allowed him to go over the middle for us. It also aided him in blocking on running plays. And his heigth allowed him to go up and get jump balls (on short routes). Did you ever see him going up and getting those jump balls 40 yards downfield? Thats what wide receivers do. Only they usually do it in full stride (something Keyshawn could not do...).

He is too slow (to stretch the field) and didn't get enough separation. This forces quarterbacks to be extremely accurate (which sometimes translates to taking more time in the pocket). And taking more time in the pocket is the ONE THING that we couldn't afford last year (and may not be able to afford this next season, either).

Classify Keyshawn as a "possession receiver" if you like, but not really a wide receiver. Wide receivers are thin, lanky, agile, fast, and shifty. Being tall is a bonus, but not necessary.

Terry Glenn was our #1 receiver (if you think about the attributes of most wide receivers).

I think that Patrick Crayton is going to get his chance. Many say he has the best hands on the team and he has some speed to go with it. With TWO speedy receivers (Glenn and Crayton) to stretch the field, a good pass-catching fullback can do most of what Keyshawn has done for us.

Look for that fullback to arrive (via free agency or draft) and look for another wide receiver to arrive (via draft) in case Crayton doesn't cut the mustard.

Actually history has shown that rookie Wr do not come in and make an immediate impact as you say.

It rarely happens. RB's, most definately but not WR's

There are some but that is the exception, not the rule.

dallasfan

Reaction score
I'm cool with letting the market settle. There really hasn't been anyone I wanted who signed elsewhere but Fujita and McGinnest, and only wanted McGinnest because Fujita was gone and I believe McGinnest could really help DeMarcus Ware's and Kevin Burnett's career take off. LeCharles Bently or Steve Hutchinson would've been nice, but I never really thought we'd go after them.

Vinatiera was high on my list, but if we can land either Josh Brown or Orlindo Mare, I'll be just as happy. Ayodele was a good signing, fits the 3-4 better than Dat Nguyen did. I like Kosier, as long as he doesn't replace Larry Allen. IMO Larry Allen is still better than him, and we aren't in need of cap space, so why release him? Kosier may be a better guard than RT, but unless we address RT, we should keep Allen.

Depth is one of the issues that killed this team last year (and their collection of JV kickers). Hopefully Boimen signs, he isn't a spectacular player, but should be a decent back-up.

david_jackson

Reaction score
The reason one might release Larry Allen even with available Cap space is that extra cap space can be moved into next year with clever incintive clauses. I am not saying this is the correct thing to do.....I'm on the fence in regards to LA, I'm just pointing out that having extra cap space is not a reason in and of itself to keep someone you would other wise wouldn't.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan said:

Keep in mind my friends:
Roy
Witten
B. James
T New
Canty
et al...

One more thing. Would you rather have ANY of those high-priced guys that have signed over THESE coming up?

We'll never be in cap hell again IMO. :star: