Jerry and Son are setting Dak up for his last dance

Reaction score
Let's face it with the exception of Dak reaching an NFC Championship game next season his career after 7 seasons will be considered a failure.
1 playoff win with all that talented meat around him all these years simply is dismal at best.
Personally, this offseason was not a good one for Dak as 3 of his major weapons are gone and haven't been replaced even though the cap $ is available to be spent.
Cowboys will be drafting for a QB in the 1st round as they will have a pick high enough to move up and pick up a rookie QB stud prospect like many teams have done in the past.
They are saving their cap $ anticipating his massive cap hit for next season.
We are much closer to Dak's end as a Cowboy than his beginning and this brings hope to millions of non-homer fellow fans.
The Jones boys want Dak to fail and fail big as moving ahead with another QB scenario becomes much easier on the PR front.
Dak will accommodate the Jones Boys as without Amari and rooks everywhere he will be lucky to survive the season taking into consideration how poorly he handles pressure on and off the gridiron......its ok to throw bottles at the ref people....lol....

With their half-hearted off-season I'm wondering what the Jones' are up to,,,, tanking the season and grabbing a QB early is almost impossible in the NFC East.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They don't want Dak to fail big, but "Dak needs to run more" seems like a tell that they don't feel as invested in Dak's future as they once did.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
In the offseason, there are random thoughts. Good and bad notions and some to expand our weak minds.
The above scenario seems logical enough, but Mr. Cap Space intrudes his ugly, dimpled head into this.

Ah, but it is nice to dream instead, chaps. Was it Frost or Thoreau who said tha?
And then there is a bit o' NOCHANGE behavior here. I get it, chaps, you like the tried and skewed.
I can only shake me chiseled, muscular face at blokes who will not...
hqdefault.jpg
...not entertain scenarios tha collide with their own worldview or sportsview.

It would be so boring, me bland sprites, to just entertain or parrot whatever Spags or Jerry's Kids tells us.
Let opinion flourish this somnolent offseason regardless what the old ladies behind lace curtains say or mock.

My, the things I say!

GINeric

Reaction score
Let's face it with the exception of Dak reaching an NFC Championship game next season his career after 7 seasons will be considered a failure.
1 playoff win with all that talented meat around him all these years simply is dismal at best.
Personally, this offseason was not a good one for Dak as 3 of his major weapons are gone and haven't been replaced even though the cap $ is available to be spent.
Cowboys will be drafting for a QB in the 1st round as they will have a pick high enough to move up and pick up a rookie QB stud prospect like many teams have done in the past.
We are much closer to Dak's end as a Cowboy than his beginning and this brings hope to millions of non-homer fellow fans.
The Jones boys want Dak to fail and fail big as moving ahead with another QB scenario becomes much easier on the PR front.
Dak will accommodate the Jones Boys as without Amari and rooks everywhere he will be lucky to survive the season taking into consideration how poorly he handles pressure on and off the gridiron......its ok to throw bottles at the ref people....lol....

You make great points. Let me ask you this though.... when P. Manning, Drew Brees, Matt Stafford, and a few other first round and HOF quarterbacks didn't make it to the championship game by their 6th and 7th seasons were they failures too??? Or is this just a measuring stick for Dak. I'm just curious.

csirl

Reaction score
Dak will be a June 1st 2024 cut. Cap can handle it. Will be replaced by a 1st rounder as Cowboys wont have the funds to sign an elite FA QB.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think Coach McCarthy overstated his willingness to utilize Dak in a running capacity recently. He should be intending to allow Dak more freedom to run more than last year, without making it sound like he'd be free to overdo it. I feel confident that Dak was joking when he commented about his intention of running 20 times a game. I doubt anyone with sound reasoning would favor that, after what he's been through -- he knows better . . . ;)

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You make great points. Let me ask you this though.... when P. Manning, Drew Brees, Matt Stafford, and a few other first round and HOF quarterbacks didn't make it to the championship game by their 6th and 7th seasons were they failures too??? Or is this just a measuring stick for Dak. I'm just curious.

exactly.jpg

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
He will be around long enough to draft the next manning. So Dak has at least 4 years, lol.

Flamma

Reaction score
I like it when you do Ecstacy.
You're more eloquent.

Have you taken a second to look into the cap consequences, by the by?
Because there is a lot more than Dak going on next year on that front.

Who else is of any cap consequence next year? As far as I can see, there are no significant cap spikes outside of Dak. I could be wrong, I may have missed someone.

Even if Diggs and or Lamb get extensions, they won't be big cap hits next year. All that would be added is 1/5 of their signing bonus. Their extensions wouldn't start for several years.

Flamma

Reaction score
Whether you like Dak or not. These triggers that have been will be triggered each year aren’t making moving on from him any easier. He’s here for at least 3 more years. That’s not close to the end.

I'm not saying they are looking to move on from Dak. But if they were, not pushing more money forward is exactly what they'd do.

However, they'd have to push 30M forward just to get Dak to a similar cap hit as he has today. They just might not want to do that if it isn't necessary. And going by the Cowboys off season SOP, it probably isn't necessary.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You have more faith in the Joneses than I do, Pappy.

Although I'd love to believe that the Dak experiment is coming into it's final years I just can't see it.

As much as I'd love for this organization to finally take the QB position serious for the first time since Aikman, I know better.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Amazing how many fans still take the bait from one of the biggest Dak trolls. And you wonder why they don’t go away.
th

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I came in 2016 the rise of the Dak Age. He will lead this team to the promise land long as he gets a OL. :flagwave:
Ohhhhh, so you are JUST a Dak fan then?

He's had 3 All-Pro linemen at the same time, please, tell me how many other QBs have had that luxury..

The "Dak Age" ..... hahahahaha

blueblood70

Reaction score

not one bit is true..

but thanks for your hyperbole... this offense hasnt lost much at all..just names name btw who were often hurt, suspended, missed games, out of shape or committing ton of penalties. same on defense the loss of Gregory also overrated his career yar wow 6 sacks that will be though to fill and oh wait him jumping offsides 10 times that sure will be missed.

good try Jerrys actually trying to improve this culture and team by this last offseason moves..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reportedly, one of the last bits of advice Tex Schramm gave Jerry Jones was:

''Don`t be stupid. Take the quarterback."

Jones (and Jimmy Johnson) did just that by drafting Troy Aikman a couple of months later. A few months after that Jones (and Johnson) picked Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft.

During the next 32 years, Jones drafted:

Bill Musgrave, Oregon, Round 4, 1991
Quincy Carter, Georgia, Round 2, 2001
Isaiah Stanback, Washington, Round 4, 2007 (targeted as a wide receiver)
Stephen McGee, Texas A&M, Round 4, 2009
Dak Prescott, Mississippi St., Round 4, 2016
Mike White, Western Kentucky, Round 5, 2018
Ben DiNucci, James Madison, Round 7, 2020

That's it in three decades of drafts. One could argue in the void between Aikman and Romo that Jones did use his highest pick technically on a quarterback by drafting Carter.

For conversation purposes, let's say this IS Prescott's last season. Could you project up to ten college quarterbacks, who may be graded as first round material, that Jones (and Will McClay) may select in the 2023 NFL Draft?

One to ten names. That's all. It would be interesting to eventually revisit those posted names. We could all return to this particular thread during the next draft and not only be amazed at the foretelling of Prescott's end but also acknowledge the naming of his prophesized successor. Right now. In 2022.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Dak is still top 10 in jersey sales. He is not going anywhere. The Cowboys defense and the NFC East will keep the team in playoff contention.

Flamma

Reaction score
You have more faith in the Joneses than I do, Pappy.

Although I'd love to believe that the Dak experiment is coming into it's final years I just can't see it.

As much as I'd love for this organization to finally take the QB position serious for the first time since Aikman, I know better.

Time goes by quick. How long did we have Romo, 9, 10 years? This will be Dak's 7th. How long do they want to keep him? If the Cowboys won something significant, ok, but if we're just status quo for the next 3 to 4 years, I'd say that's enough.

They're pretty much in debt to him for the next 3 years anyway. I wouldn't push anymore money forward just in case.