Twitter: Jerry: I'm surprised and disappointed. I thought this was one of our best teams

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Before the season started, we didn't realize how much not having a off season would negatively impact the Cowboys and we didn't realize the injury plagued season we were about to enter. The so called NFL experts didn't realize this also and were predicting the Cowboys to do well. Remember when the Cowboys were as high as #5-6 in the preseason power polls? So it's understandable why anyone would be surprised and disappointed.

I don't give Nolan and the defense much of a pass for not having an offseason. Under those constraints, you don't try to reinvent the wheel. The Giants were under even more adverse conditions and they've managed to field a pretty good defense. So I give the Cowboys no additional slack for our defense being an embarrassment.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Still expecting players and coaches to think like fans. :muttley:

Those guys are playing for their jobs and careers, some won't even be on that team next year, yet you expect them to care about draft position.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Outside of the glaring holes at DT and S i would have to agree with him. I think this team, defense included is more talented than the record reflects, however their weak spots are massive. Most of the year we haven't even gotten below average play out of the DT and S positions. We've had some flashes of great play from those positions as of late, and you can see this defense starting to make plays because of it.

Still its unrealistic to lose your starting DT, QB, backup QB for multiple games, 2 Ts, have both your star LBs significantly regress, not address the S position over the offseason, lose your best DB to free agency, and expect much more than what we have now.

Shane612

Reaction score
Well, it's not only about assembling "talented" people.
It's about assembling complimentary parts, that fit together.
And it's not an exact science.
But, it's also about being able to make adjustments and being flexible.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Reason #1,000 why an emotional, insecure billionaire owner makes a very poor GM. He so desperately wants to believe that every move he makes is “brilliant” and is willing to waste whole seasons, even whole decades to “prove” to everyone he’s capable of building a champion. But we have a quarter century of clear evidence that he doesn’t know what he’s doing with roster building.

The winning NFL owners of the last 24 SBs all- 100%- understand that if they want to win a championship, they needed to hire a football expert to run football operations. It’s a simple truth that somehow escapes the Jones family.

I’m always going to be a Cowboys fan. But I refuse to let the Jones cartel steal my fandom. I also refuse to pretend he’s not the biggest problem we have. I will be thrilled if the Cowboys return to glory. But since 2008, I have adopted the philosophy, “I will believe this team is a winner when it happens”, not because a Jones tells us so.

I will always be a Cowboys fan. But I will never pretend Jerry Jones isn’t a naked emperor prancing among us hoping we all cooperate with his con that he is a “winner” except at the cash register. He’s a great businessman. A lousy GM. #Facts.

Motorola

Reaction score
The cherry on top is that after being one of the worst teams in football the majority of the year we go on to screw up our top 3 draft pick at the end of this horrible season.

If not for the Jets we would be the most stupid team in the NFL.
Jets still could recapture no. 1 draft spot- their final two opponents are Browns and @Patriots, Jaguars host Bears and @Colts.
As for the Cowboys go, I knew that no. 3 slot was only temporary. There were too many teams with similar records that were go to continue losing just as much (or more).
2 games to go, with 4 teams at 4 wins, 6 teams at 5 wins (Cowboys among them)....the final draft order for the non-playoff teams won't be determined until week 17 is in the books.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jets still could recapture no. 1 draft spot- their final two opponents are Browns and @Patriots, Jaguars host Bears and @Colts.
As for the Cowboys go, I knew that no. 3 slot was only temporary. There were too many teams with similar records that were go to continue losing just as much (or more).
2 games to go, with 4 teams at 4 wins, 6 teams at 5 wins (Cowboys among them)....the final draft order for the non-playoff teams won't be determined until week 17 is in the books.

Our #1 problem is our backup QB is too good compared to other backup QBs..

They should be playing Gilbert or that clown Dinnucci.

Sydla

Reaction score

How could you look at the DTs you started the year with and the safeties and conclude this was one of your best teams ever? I mean holy hell you were trotting out Darian Thompson as a starting safety.

This guy is a moron when it comes to football. It's just that simple.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think people are making this a lot more than it actually is.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think people are making this a lot more than it actually is.

It shows Jerry's delusions. I am not sure anyone is exaggerating that reality. Jerry has always overvalued the talent on the team. So for him to say this is just par for the course with him.

Motorola

Reaction score
The Bengals played hard and won last night. That makes them pretty stupid too right?

Actually, the Bears must realize that they have no chance of winning the SB this year. They are just not good enough. That was pretty stupid of them to win yesterday.

All these dumb teams are hurting their draft picks.
But the majority of comments on CZ are down on nearly every top 10 projected pick (read some downing OT Sewell too) except LB Parsons; plus opining only 12 -15 players are "true" 1st round worthy.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It shows Jerry's delusions. I am not sure anyone is exaggerating that reality. Jerry has always overvalued the talent on the team. So for him to say this is just par for the course with him.
You're not sure anyone is exaggerating? Here? On these forums? Sure.

Motorola

Reaction score
Of course he’s dumbfounded. Looked like a great team to him. And why the Bar has been lowered with our beloved franchise.
Have to admit.
Preseason, looking at the entire roster before any injuries or disappointments, I thought that (on paper) this was a fairly talented team compared to what we've had lately.

It's all relative though. Better still might have been all that great.

I will say this; early in the year, our defensive coordinator did us no favors. But everyone shares the blame.
That is why after the 2019 Cowboys' collapse down the stretch from division-leading 6-4 to 7-8 and out of the playoffs pushed Jones to oust Garrett. He felt the team was a legit postseason contender.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Still expecting players and coaches to think like fans. :muttley:

Those guys are playing for their jobs and careers, some won't even be on that team next year, yet you expect them to care about draft position.

No I don’t expect that from players and coaches..

I do expect the organization to step up when the time calls for it though..

Trotting out Andy Dalton does us no favors.. I do think that they thought we would be worse with Zeke out of the lineup.. That was most likely a their attempt at tanking.. I’m not shocked we actually improved without him but it’s just a guess by me.

Last edited: