Twitter: Jerry Is Asked If Getting The World Cup Is Bigger Than Winning The Super Bowl

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I hope Italy plays in Toronto to be honest lol. But I will fly to where they are playing. Flights in North America are far easier than South Africa and Brazil for example lol

That would be amazing for you. How fun would it be if it's Italy vs Canada?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jerry haters finding another thing to complain about and hate on Jerry. This has become a daily issue. Seek help.
:facepalm:

Not to mention some on here don't seem to understand just how big the World Cup is. This isn't some run of the mill event. This is the World Cup of Football (the sport the entire world besides America, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia call football). To have the stadium selected to host the event is a massive honor, especially with the WC only happening every 4 years and changing countries. Jerry SHOULD take this as a huge compliment from FIFA.

Bates

Reaction score
Probably because the World Cup IS bigger than the Super Bowl. Trust me, this is going to be massive at ATT Stadium. As an example, I was in Cologne, Germany in 2014 when Germany won the World Cup that year. The entire Haufbrau was absolutely buzzing and there wasn't a seat to be had for those that didn't get there and hour before the match. The German flags were all over the bar, and the excitement was palpable. It was like being at a stadium. When Germany scored, it sounded like being at the stadium itself. When Germany won it, there was no sleeping that night as the horns were honking, and the party the Germans threw that night was amazing. Also, Go England for the World Cup, and Up the Cherries (AFC Bournemouth) on club level.

Arlington is about to learn what a party is, especially if it's a European country or a South American country. I hope the likes of England, Germany, and Italy get to play in the stadium. They can teach Jerry how passionate fans can get. It's truly a memorizing experience.

I think the point here isn’t if the World Cup is bigger than the NFL super bowl. It’s huge to be hosting the World Cup. The point is that the general manager of an NFL team has spent a great deal of time focused on getting the World Cup to AT&T. Because the World Cup is such a huge deal how much time and effort had to be put in to get the deal to host? I wonder how many other GMs are focused on similar outside pursuits.

I don’t hate or dislike Jerry Jones, but this is yet another example of him focused on things outside of the team. Which is fine if he only acted in the owner capacity. This is why we have remained average for all these years. He’s not focused on putting the best team on the field.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Why should we care about the World Cup being in Dallas?

I'd prefer the owner/GM of my favorite football to focus more on building a contender and less on bringing big events to his area. If he wants to focus on those types of things then he should hire someone competent to run the football side of things.

Do you follow football (not American Football)? Have you been to countries outside the US? I promise you, this is bigger than the NFL. Outside the US, there is no bigger event than the World Cup in terms of viewing when it's on. And that World Cup is going to see some massive stars. It could well be the last WC that the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo play if they play after this December's WC. Then you have the likes of Harry Kane, Thomas Müller, Erling Halland, Son from Tottenham/South Korea, and many more stars that'll be potentially at this event. Oh, and, as I've stated, depending on who's playing, that stadium hasn't had the noise it's going to have at this event. Just you watch

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think the point here isn’t if the World Cup is bigger than the NFL super bowl. It’s huge to be hosting the World Cup. The point is that the general manager of an NFL team has spent a great deal of time focused on getting the World Cup to AT&T. Because the World Cup is such a huge deal how much time and effort had to be put in to get the deal to host? I wonder how many other GMs are focused on similar outside pursuits.

I don’t hate or dislike Jerry Jones, but this is yet another example of him focused on things outside of the team. Which is fine if he only acted in the owner capacity. This is why we have remained average for all these years. He’s not focused on putting the best team on the field.

I will defend Jerry here. I think the message he was saying may not have been that this is more important to him than the Cowboys winning the SB. I think he's acknowledging how much bigger, in terms of viewing and passion, the World Cup is compared to the SB. Obviously, he's going to have to have a complimentary tone to FIFA for giving him this honor, or he'd look like an ungrateful clod.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
World Cup Bigger Than Winning The Super Bowl?

......Not in the U.S.

The rest of
the world can keep their boring, round ball, head bouncing, 1-0 scoring, low contact, kindergarden game.

Football (as the rest of the world calls it) is not low contact by any means. Watch a Premier League match or a Bundesliga match. You'll see for yourself, especially among hated rivals, they can get very physical, and they're running for about 90 minutes with only a 15-20 minute break for halftime. It's a lot more physical than you think.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree. I'm pretty sure he meant he'd rather host the WC over a SB.

Please know, fellow fans, this SB drought is killing me too. Deep down, I'd bet it's killing JJ even more

Exactly, and it's important that the fans look beyond the United States. There are many more people that care about footballs over American Football. Outside of maybe some countries in Europe, the only player that someone MIGHT know from American Football is Tom Brady. The rest of the world knos about the likes of Benzema, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Harry Kane, etc

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The question is pretty straightforward. It pits Jerry Jones owner of AT&T Stadium against Jerry Jones owner of the world's most valuable franchise that happens to play American football.

His answer is telling. The business man thinks getting the World Cup is bigger to HIM than winning the Super Bowl.

To me, the answer is simple. "No! Nothing is bigger than my Dallas Cowboys winning a SuperBowl. It means that much to me. Getting the World Cup at my stadium and for the city of Dallas is incredible. Absolutely incredible. But, I'm the owner of a NFL franchise, we are in the business of winning Super Bowls."

Not quite. I think hes talking about a business stance, and I think, in terms of NFL, there's nothing more important to him than the SB. But, in terms of global, he's trying to give a response to show the gratitude and the understanding of just how much an impact a WC has. The last time the US hosted a WC was 1994 to put it in perspective

Bates

Reaction score
I will defend Jerry here. I think the message he was saying may not have been that this is more important to him than the Cowboys winning the SB. I think he's acknowledging how much bigger, in terms of viewing and passion, the World Cup is compared to the SB. Obviously, he's going to have to have a complimentary tone to FIFA for giving him this honor, or he'd look like an ungrateful clod.

You are still missing the point the OP is trying to convey Rusty. These comments are perfect coming from the the cowboys owner. He should be proud to win a bid to host. However he is also the GM of the cowboys (some will say in title only, but he’s very actively involved in day to day operations). Now, think about all the other business interests he’s involved in. We’ve been fortunate to fall a** backwards into 2 very good QBs back to back and haven’t been able to do anything with them. Look at all the teams that struggle finding just 1 every 20 years. Lack of focus on putting a complete team together.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You are still missing the point the OP is trying to convey Rusty. These comments are perfect coming from the the cowboys owner. He should be proud to win a bid to host. However he is also the GM of the cowboys (some will say in title only, but he’s very actively involved in day to day operations). Now, think about all the other business interests he’s involved in.

Oh, I get that. I'm just saying that maybe we should tap the brakes here a bit on critiquing Jerry. I don't think Jerry was trying to make the Cowboys winning a SB unimportant or anything like that. I just think he was just trying to express gratitude. That's what I think Jerry was doing with this.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Another perspective to think about. With how big the stadium is, do you all not who are not World Cup fans not realise the fan potential for the Cowboys this WC could have? That might be another thing Jerry angles towards. Using the WC to expand the Cowboys brand to the far corners of the world.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Not to mention some on here don't seem to understand just how big the World Cup is. This isn't some run of the mill event. This is the World Cup of Football (the sport the entire world besides America, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia call football). To have the stadium selected to host the event is a massive honor, especially with the WC only happening every 4 years and changing countries. Jerry SHOULD take this as a huge compliment from FIFA.

Some of you are missing the point, that being Jerry cares more about the almighty dollar than he ever will about winning another super bowl. Jerry probably doesn't give two spits about the World Cup, but I bet you anything he started dancing his butt off when he saw how much money he stands to make by being a host stadium.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The question is pretty straightforward. It pits Jerry Jones owner of AT&T Stadium against Jerry Jones owner of the world's most valuable franchise that happens to play American football.

His answer is telling. The business man thinks getting the World Cup is bigger to HIM than winning the Super Bowl.

To me, the answer is simple. "No! Nothing is bigger than my Dallas Cowboys winning a SuperBowl. It means that much to me. Getting the World Cup at my stadium and for the city of Dallas is incredible. Absolutely incredible. But, I'm the owner of a NFL franchise, we are in the business of winning Super Bowls."
Yeah
You didnt understand what he said at all

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Some of you are missing the point, that being Jerry cares more about the almighty dollar than he ever will about winning another super bowl. Jerry probably doesn't give two spits about the World Cup, but I bet you anything he started dancing his butt off when he saw how much money he stands to make by being a host stadium.

I do think he wants a SB, but he's also a businessman. There's a reason this franchise has the wealth it has despite not going beyond the division round since I became a fan. Hosting a WC is obviously going to send Jerry a lot of money....if he's even alive then.

slick325

Reaction score
Yeah
You didnt understand what he said at all

Context is everything obviously. But based on the Tweet originally posted in this thread, the question is pretty straightforward.

If the question actually is..."is it bigger for AT&T Stadium to host World Cup or the Super Bowl?"...then the answer Jerry gave is sufficient.

The way Watkins worded that Tweet can be interpreted as which is a bigger deal for you Jerry, getting World Cup played at the stadium OR your Cowboys winning the Super Bowl.

Maybe the way the question was posed wasn't precise enough.