Jerry is right in balking on Dak Deal

Jkyle

Reaction score
If Dak had any notable playoff success to note, I and Jerry would have no problem with the Cowboys paying him the Market Rate, $55+ million.
But, he was already paid a $160 million dollar contract and achieved nothing.
I can't fault Jerry for hesitating in extending Dak at $55-60 million for 6 years.
He's been burned too many times giving big long term contracts for no return.

Brax

Reaction score
If Dak had any notable playoff success to note, I and Jerry would have no problem with the Cowboys paying him the Market Rate, $55+ million.
I can't fault Jerry for hesitating in extending Dak at $55-60 million for 6 years.
Unfortunately results don’t matter in the new NFL, you have to pay gold prices for underachieving QBs. Average QBs getting elite money is how it works, it’s just the next in line and unfortunately owners keep doing it, the reason is simple they have to spend the cap it’s not like they are using their money, so stay competitive is ok with them because it’s not about winning on the field it’s about winning in the bank account and team value down the road. For owners it’s a no lose mentality, winning the SB is just an after thought and sales pitch to keep the fans dollars flowing in. Jerry keeps the SB bs in his pressers and interviews but he knows he has already won what he wants, dollars and gullible fans along with his narcissistic need for attention and the spotlight. There’s only one way to hurt the owners and that’s for fans to stop going to games and buying tickets and merchandise until that happens it’s never going to change.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Jerry would love nothing but to get burned again, Dak is about to get a record deal, this is so clear (sarcasm)

dckid

Reaction score
I am 100%ok with not paying Dak. The problem is Jerry talks but actually has no plan.
He doesn’t want to bottom out so you can draft a guy.
He could have tried going after Lamar last offseason. Remember he got paid $52 milllion per year. Why not poison pill Baltimore and try to get a legit top 5 guy.
So tell me what the Cowboys have done over the past three decades where Jerry is actually trying to win the SB.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When Jerry had the chance to sign Dak to a smaller deal, he didn't.

Maybe he is seriously considering on letting him walk.
Maybe Jerry was serious when he talked about ambiguity. He wants us to buy into that so he doesn't have to talk about what he is silently doing. I believe he has decided to let Dak walk after the season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry is definitely going to resign Dak. He knows with Dak he will keep the team in the playoffs every year. With Lance looking as bad as he did (and likely will these last 2 preseason games), Jerry has no one else to replace Dak with after this season. No way will he jeopardize going into the offseason without Dak's replacement for the 2025 season. That would signal to the team it's going to be tank time for 2025 and 2026, thus some of the young veterans like CeeDee and Micah might want out and ask to be traded, refusing to waste their prime years on a leaderless team. Jerry has no choice but to resign Dak.

Creeper

Reaction score
Unfortunately results don’t matter in the new NFL, you have to pay gold prices for underachieving QBs. Average QBs getting elite money is how it works, it’s just the next in line and unfortunately owners keep doing it, the reason is simple they have to spend the cap it’s not like they are using their money, so stay competitive is ok with them because it’s not about winning on the field it’s about winning in the bank account and team value down the road. For owners it’s a no lose mentality, winning the SB is just an after thought and sales pitch to keep the fans dollars flowing in. Jerry keeps the SB bs in his pressers and interviews but he knows he has already won what he wants, dollars and gullible fans along with his narcissistic need for attention and the spotlight. There’s only one way to hurt the owners and that’s for fans to stop going to games and buying tickets and merchandise until that happens it’s never going to change.
I agree with all of this, but I also think Jerry today is not the Jerry of even 5 years ago. He is clearly getting old, maybe too old to be making these decisions. His rambling incoherent answers to questions are either Jerry losing his ability to BS the crowd, or he is just not right in the head. Either way you have to wonder if he has the ability to assess his players and their value. If he had some good football people behind him he might be able to get away with it, but from what I can tell, he is relying on his son, Stephen, who might be even worse at his job than Jerry.

Jipper

Reaction score

i think this is the most logical reason honestly which is facinating.

I do not think its the came for CeeDee though, hes not going to let him get away.

Brax

Reaction score
I agree with all of this, but I also think Jerry today is not the Jerry of even 5 years ago. He is clearly getting old, maybe too old to be making these decisions. His rambling incoherent answers to questions are either Jerry losing his ability to BS the crowd, or he is just not right in the head. Either way you have to wonder if he has the ability to assess his players and their value. If he had some good football people behind him he might be able to get away with it, but from what I can tell, he is relying on his son, Stephen, who might be even worse at his job than Jerry.
I don’t disagree but it’s been the same for 20 odd years and Jerry is still doing the same thing, I don’t think he listens to many people because he honestly believes he is a great football legend. It’s a lot like Al Davis was, the NFL is about attendance and dollars in for the league so being competitive is all that matters, the pie is divided by all so as long as a team can be competitive even if it’s just a few years here and there it works, hoisting the Lombardi is just a added bonus if it works out that way

rags747

Reaction score
I am 100%ok with not paying Dak. The problem is Jerry talks but actually has no plan.
He doesn’t want to bottom out so you can draft a guy.
He could have tried going after Lamar last offseason. Remember he got paid $52 milllion per year. Why not poison pill Baltimore and try to get a legit top 5 guy.
So tell me what the Cowboys have done over the past three decades where Jerry is actually trying to win the SB.
I rather have Dak than Lamar. Lamar loses in the playoffs as much as Dak.

CWR

Reaction score
If Jerry was right we'd have an actual quality caliber qb waiting in the wings. We don't, he's unprepared like every other time. Dak bailed him out last time. I'm not taking away from the pick, but he was our 3rd qb. He wasn't supposed to take Romos job. If we'd draft and develop we might not be in this position. The odds of doing better than Dak are very, very low. I'd be for a rebuild, but make no mistake the FO is not going that route. Instead we'd lose our qb and waste a bunch of young talent for nothing, no assets.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is definitely going to resign Dak. He knows with Dak he will keep the team in the playoffs every year. With Lance looking as bad as he did (and likely will these last 2 preseason games), Jerry has no one else to replace Dak with after this season. No way will he jeopardize going into the offseason without Dak's replacement for the 2025 season. That would signal to the team it's going to be tank time for 2025 and 2026, thus some of the young veterans like CeeDee and Micah might want out and ask to be traded, refusing to waste their prime years on a leaderless team. Jerry has no choice but to resign Dak.
Lance did not look bad. He was not great, but certainly not bad. He needs to settle down a bit with the high throws and velocity on them.
How many times would have Dak been sacked if he was back there behind the poor OL pass protection.

Dak lovers thumping their chest over that game. Lance fail over team improvement fans.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Even if they let him walk, which is probably the best realistic option for both sides, we're still on the hook for 55MM this year and $40MM next year.

Seriously they've screwed this up monumentally.

Verdict

Reaction score

I think that there is a pretty good chance that Dak is no longer a Cowboy after this season, unless Dak makes a SB run this season. Dak got paid and didn’t get there. I don’t believe that Jerry wants to pay Dak $65m per year or more.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Someone explain the plan moving forward. Why even sign CD or Micah if you're not going to have a quarterback?

Name names who the short-term replacement would be that you can have as much success with. Being abstract is for cowards.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I kind of suspect the argument is over years, not AAV. A lot of people won't like that.

I do agree that a short, huge contract for Dak is a cap killer. Jerry would be right to balk at that.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giving Dak another massive BAG is insanity at its finest.
He proved with the first bag he is NOT able to meet the bag's requirements and carry this talented team to the promised land.
Jerry feels the same way and has set him up for a major fall on the field or to fake an injury and sit his OMG I've pooped again ... vs a real team on the bench.