Jerry Jones likes this team.

Tricky-22

Git R Done
Reaction score
He likes it so much that he decided that it didn't need any improvement in the draft. I like Spencer, but I'm not sure who is going to sacrifice playing time to get him on the field. Ellis? Carpenter? Akin?

It would have been nice to see JJ address the OL in the second instead of deciding to trade out of the second completely in order to draft some camp fodder in the later rounds.

I'm a little confused and disappointed with this draft. Wish we had big Bill back making the picks.

Oh well, I guess that we will have a couple of picks in the first next season, maybe JJ can manage to pick a decent player with one of those. I hope that Cleveland starts Quinn and gives us the top pick next season. McFadden would be nice.

I'm not a negative guy, don't get me wrong, I like the fact that we have two first's next year. But I think that JJ has completely air mailed in this draft.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Tricky-22;1478876 said:
He likes it so much that he decided that it didn't need any improvement in the draft. I like Spencer, but I'm not sure who is going to sacrifice playing time to get him on the field. Ellis? Carpenter? Akin?

It would have been nice to see JJ address the OL in the second instead of deciding to trade out of the second completely in order to draft some camp fodder in the later rounds.

I'm a little confused and disappointed with this draft. Wish we had big Bill back making the picks.

Oh well, I guess that we will have a couple of picks in the first next season, maybe JJ can manage to pick a decent player with one of those. I hope that Cleveland starts Quinn and gives us the top pick next season. McFadden would be nice.

I'm not a negative guy, don't get me wrong, I like the fact that we have two first's next year. But I think that JJ has completely air mailed in this draft.

Dallas got the 5th and 6th rated tackles in the draft who are also capable of playing guard. I am finally glad to address the Oline instead of hoping that 6th and 7th rounders work out.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I think this draft can't be evaluated until we see what the pick from Cleveland turns out to be.

As far as Jerry, it's almost like he's been locked up for the past four years...not being able to make any trades like he used to...and he's making up for lost time this weekend.

He does tend to over-trade....BUT..the deal with Cleveland was brilliant...especially considering the fact that they got the guy they wanted anyway, Spencer.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Tricky-22;1478876 said:

Spencer improves us immensley and will be taking over for Ellis, you say you wanted to draft OL in rd 2, well we traded down and took the tackle. Know how many Guards and tackles were taken between our rd 2 pick we traded out of and our 3rd we picked at? ZERO NONE NADA. Therefore we did what you wanted without losing out on any tackles or guards and gained a pick

To many people get wrapped up in getting guys they like or know, and then bash the cowboys for not feeling the same way

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I'll be honest...I love the Doug Free pick...this kid is a real athlete that will play LT. I expect the Pat M. at LT fun to die down wih Free entering the picture. Free will be groomed to replace Flo.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Juke99;1478951 said:
I think this draft can't be evaluated until we see what the pick from Cleveland turns out to be.

As far as Jerry, it's almost like he's been locked up for the past four years...not being able to make any trades like he used to...and he's making up for lost time this weekend.

He does tend to over-trade....BUT..the deal with Cleveland was brilliant...especially considering the fact that they got the guy they wanted anyway, Spencer.

Jerry is good at trading, his problem is at picking.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic;1478965 said:
I'll be honest...I love the Doug Free pick...this kid is a real athlete that will play LT. I expect the Pat M. at LT fun to die down wih Free entering the picture. Free will be groomed to replace Flo.

I totally agree. Funny how everyone complains that BP never addressed the Oline. I actually like the Free and Marten picks much more than I liked the Rogers and Peterman picks at that time. Dallas did not reach for Olineman and they got two good players who should be ready to start in 2 years.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Tricky-22;1478876 said:
He likes it so much that he decided that it didn't need any improvement in the draft.

:rolleyes: ...... Spencer by himself is gonna make this draft ....

not to mention the incredible line depth we now have and the top 10 first round pick we are gonna get next year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tricky-22;1478876 said:
We got the guy we wanted at 53, after trading down to 67. That is a good thing. What is hard for people to understand that?

silver

Reaction score
the problem with jerry is that after 17 years it burns him that people don't consider him a football guy. his ego needs all the stroking it can get. the comment about bill running the football side not the personel side had me rolling my eyes. i gues it had the same effect on jimmy johnson too. why does he have to prove to people that he can pick players? oh well. i hate to be labeled a whiner but this draft reminded me of all those years we traded out of the first round for the hell of it: 95, 96 passing on people like derrick brooks and tony brackens. and who can forget the 2001 draft when we passed on shaun rogers? and of course the 2004 draft that the highest rated rb landed on our lap only to pass on him. and again we don't know what cleveland record will be next year. le charles bentley and joe thomas may solidify their OL and they can make a run. for us to sit here and daydream about mcfadden is pure speculation. for all we know jerry will trade down if he's there when we pick next year.

Mansta54

Reaction score
zrinkill;1478991 said:
:rolleyes: ...... Spencer by himself is gonna make this draft ....

not to mention the incredible line depth we now have and the top 10 first round pick we are gonna get next year.

Well said!!!:hammer:

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Wish we had big Bill back making the picks.
Peterman/Rogers? Remember those....remember taking Rogers knowing that he had an injury history?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Within 3 years, our starting LB corp week in and week out will be:

Spencer, Carpenter, Ayodele, Ware

That's 3 first round picks and one of the more highly thought of FA MLB from last year

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Im not sure about this draft just yet.

The Clevland trade should amount to a move up AND a 2nd round pick. Nice

sago1

Reaction score
Am tired of so many putting us down cause we question some of these picks and Jerry's judgement. I certainly have no problem with the Spencer trades/pick and even agree there wasn't much left for us in the 2nd round where we drafting so trading up for high 3rd/4th/6th rounds was a good move. I also liked the Marten pick (although I'd rather we had taken Doug Free), but fortunately we did take Free with our late 4th round pick , so we have significantly upgraded our OL. In fact Marten also played LG for 2 years for BC before he moved to LT so there a good chance Marten could also help out as a backup LG.

My problem is with the Standbough pick which is a big overreach. I doubt he can even make this team because somebody will have to be cut so we can carry 6 WRs. We lost a chance to add a player who could help us. As for Folk, Anderson, etc., they obviously won't make this team and we didn't use these picks early enough to move up when we could.

This draft will be judged by how well we use the Cleveland pick in 08 but a judgment must also be made on how we used our other picks and except for Spencer, Marten & Free with slim chance Folk contributes down the road the rest of our draft picks are a disaster.

BTW: Just heard we drafted CB Courtney Brown out of Cal Poly. Actually this is a good pick since he was viewed as a sleeper but can't remember which analyst identified him. But don't know whether this means he really has legit shot to become a good CB or just another Reeves/Jones clone.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Dallas's biggest weaknesses have been the Oline and Dline. Jerry bolstered both lines with 3 of the first 4 picks and added a top 10 pick in next years draft, I would hardly call that being complacent with what is in place.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigDFan5;1478961 said:
Spencer improves us immensley and will be taking over for Ellis, you say you wanted to draft OL in rd 2, well we traded down and took the tackle. Know how many Guards and tackles were taken between our rd 2 pick we traded out of and our 3rd we picked at? ZERO NONE NADA. Therefore we did what you wanted without losing out on any tackles or guards and gained a pick

To many people get wrapped up in getting guys they like or know, and then bash the cowboys for not feeling the same way

Brilliant observation... who did you steal that from? :D

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1479360 said:
Brilliant observation... who did you steal that from? :D

your mama!

Called watching the draft my friend

PS my wife hates me now :(