Jerry Jones won't make major overhaul: Cowboys 'closer than this record indicates'

Sydla

Reaction score
Let's attack this another way.

What roster overhaul do some of you want? And no, finding a new starting RB isn't a roster overhaul.

Look at the Eagles.............. they need an overhaul. They might need 3 new OL, two WRs, a QB, two OLBs, two CBs, etc.

Now that's a team that might need an overhaul.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Let's attack this another way.

What roster overhaul do some of you want? And no, finding a new starting RB isn't a roster overhaul.

Look at the Eagles.............. they need an overhaul. They might need 3 new OL, two WRs, a QB, two OLBs, two CBs, etc.

Now that's a team that might need an overhaul.

RB, WR, CB, CB, LB, SS, RT, DT We are only 8 players away and that is assuming we re-sign some important F.A.;s or our own.

silver

Reaction score
My God, Darren McFadden is going to be the starter next year.

This is plan A to this idiot.

Incredible. Next year when McFadden goes down with a typical injury for him Jerry will again say: "This year, we were hot off the press, hot off the stove with the running back situation, we're going to address it and we should address it."

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
"much closer to the Super Bowl than its 4-11 record indicates."

What a fun statement.

Someone should ask Jerry why his team has hasn't had back to back playoff winning seasons since the Jimmy Johnson ERA....Why JERRY... WHY....this is the same ol Cowboys that hype and hope..and wont or dont no how to...build a true contender........History told us this was going to be a mess of year....we just didn't no (or want to believe) how bad of a train wreck it would be......crash and burn to 4-11...OUCH

Look at the Cowboys history....it is (factually) repeating itself....again....

matter of fact only 9 winning season in the last 20years.....

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
So if Romo stays healthy, we should make the playoffs? Okay well then why are you disappointed Jerry doesn't think we need a complete overhaul if you think we have a hope next season.

no you're right that doesnt indicate we will make the playoffs at all. this scheme needs to be functioning on all cylinders to perform or to even sniff battling it out near the end of the season for the playoffs. i point to romo going down in which the scheme easily will falter. we can point to Dez getting hurt too or maybe an Olineman. take your pic.

romo being healthy does not automatically mean making the playoffs dont get me wrong. it helps though for sure. but everything else on offense has to be humming away too and that just to get there or get close.

my issue is that the scheme makes no room for backups at all. its too stiff. 12-4 and 4-11 indicated that.

no adjustments will be made to scheme to make it more malleable. its going to stay stiff and rigid.

robjay04

Reaction score
4 and 11 teams have more than others. I didn't even put backup QB. Make it 9 players away.

Our defense has flaws but they have been good enough, our running game has flaws but we still have a top 5 back according to yardage so they have been good enough---we still have a premier OL. We have the worst passing game/QB play in the NFL, that is by far the biggest reason we have this record. Even with our QB play, we have been in every game but 2 going into the fourth quarter. Fix our QB play and we will compete in this division.

I am all for upgrading literally every position while we are at it but the team does not need an overhaul. We win the division this season with even average QB play IMO.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
I am all for upgrading literally every position while we are at it but the team does not need an overhaul. We win the division this season with even average QB play IMO.

is that your end goal? because winning an SB with this scheme is not going to happen. winning a WC sure. everything humming near perfect on Offense albeit. i believe there comes a time in the playoffs that out coaching the other team takes you further and this scheme is not about that at all.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Our defense has flaws but they have been good enough, our running game has flaws but we still have a top 5 back according to yardage so they have been good enough---we still have a premier OL. We have the worst passing game/QB play in the NFL, that is by far the biggest reason we have this record. Even with our QB play, we have been in every game but 2 going into the fourth quarter. Fix our QB play and we will compete in this division.

Maybe so but winning this lousy division shouldn't be the goal.

The secondary is horrible. We need 2 CB's and a SS. We need a run stopping DT and we need another LB. That is just on the D. 5 starters needed on the D alone.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jones believes this team is much closer to the Super Bowl than its 4-11 record indicates.
Add a healthy Romo and Dez to this roster and our team would be. That is all it would take to have made the playoffs this year. Making the playoffs is much closer to the Super Bowl than 4-11 is. Jerry might be onto something here.

BigD5

Reaction score
I agree with Jerry and I typically hate every word out of his mouth. We will end up 4-12 but these last few weeks we are tanking for a better draft pick. So we are better than our record.

We also played all season without our starting Qb. An elite Qb that was the best in the entire league last season.

Realistically we have few holes on this team. The defense is better than most of our fans overreactions. We aren't that bad defensively. We had terrible luck with turnovers this year for sure. But that changes season to season. Claiborne can come back cheap. Scandrick will be back. Carr is gone. That's an improvement. Resign Hardy for less than we did this season.

WRs instantly become better with Romo back. Some all-22 film showed in a lot of games that we had guys running wide open but weeden and cassell couldn't find them.

Draft a young successor to Romo with the 1st pick. Draft Derrick Henry with our 2nd pick. And keep finding some later round players and we are set to make a run next year.

wileedog

Reaction score
Well it is true, the team does have talent.
Meh. This still looks like an 8-8 team that had a flukey good season and then a flukey bad one. There are still plenty of holes.

This is the NFL, teams have extreme shifts in standings all the time. The Commanders looked hopeless last season and now they are a playoff team. With this division, anything is possible.
The Commanders have not beaten a single team all year with a 500 record. They are in the playoffs because someone from this horrid division has to be.

If that's how we are defining success these days then we have the perfect owner/GM.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
Add a healthy Romo and Dez to this roster and our team would be. That is all it would take to have made the playoffs this year. Making the playoffs is much closer to the Super Bowl than 4-11 is. Jerry might be onto something here.

at best we we end up exactly where we were in 2014. where a grey play is decided by a yankee with no Officiating experience what so ever and the entire season comes to a screeching hault. thats already happened so i doubt it happens again. i fear 12-4 is as close to the sun Romo will be because this FO doesn't know how to make adjustments to the scheme to make them more malleable for backups what so ever. counting on Romo not getting hurt is futile.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Someone should ask Jerry why his team has hasn't had back to back playoff winning seasons since the Jimmy Johnson ERA....Why JERRY... WHY....this is the same ol Cowboys that hype and hope..and wont or dont no how to...build a true contender........History told us this was going to be a mess of year....we just didn't no (or want to believe) how bad of a train wreck it would be......crash and burn to 4-11...OUCH

Look at the Cowboys history....it is (factually) repeating itself....again....

matter of fact only 9 winning season in the last 20years.....

Because whoever took over football operations after Jimmy hasn't done a good jobs for the last 23 years or so.

Sydla

Reaction score
is that your end goal? because winning an SB with this scheme is not going to happen. winning a WC sure. everything humming near perfect on Offense albeit. i believe there comes a time in the playoffs that out coaching the other team takes you further and this scheme is not about that at all.

But this is an entirely different dicussion. I tend to agree that the first issue facing this team is the coaching. But what we are talking about here is the roster and Jones says he doesn't think we need a roster overhaul (or insinuated it) and people get all bent out of shape.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Jerrah is just selling tickets for next season already. It took him a day to say anything - a long time for him - and this is what he came up with. "We're still oh so close blah blah"

It is of note though that he still threw in the "we weren't coached up" comment, yet he didn't say anything else about the coaching in all his babbling.