Jerry loves his CBs

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Owner (coach) Jerry Jones has apparently been in the film room. He said he went over every game last year analyzing what happened each week. Part of what he has concluded is the massive upgrade he has done at the cornerback position.

"We will have more talent out there than ever," Jones said.

You have starters Terence Newman and Anthony Henry and third corner (if reinstated) is Adam Jones (above) and the fourth is first-round draft pick Mike Jenkins. That leaves Jerry crossing his fingers less after having Jacques Reeves and Nate Jones.

Jones said the Cowboys had to give up some things on their 3rd down rush because of the coverage concerns in the secondary. He did not mention safety Roy Williams.

- Rick Herrin

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yeah, that was definitely one of Jerry's lowlights yesterday. Any time he acts like he's the one who's been studying film and making evaluations, it makes you cringe.

dmq

Reaction score
What I don't get is our philosophy on 3rd down was different than what was working on 1st and 2nd down. Against NE was a big example of it. We would apply pressure on 1st and 2nd down and then we would back off on 3rd. It was a fatal flaw in philosophy if you ask me. The worst way to expose a secondary is to give a QB more time to connect w/ his receivers.
I am hoping that now that we have confidence in our secondary, we will be applying pressure on 3rd down as well. It was very frustrating to watch last year.

CoCo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2157766 said:
Yeah, that was definitely one of Jerry's lowlights yesterday. Any time he acts like he's the one who's been studying film and making evaluations, it makes you cringe.

I know people like to make fun of him for that but I don't mind it at all.

There is nothing wrong with someone trying to learn as much as they can about their business. Of course the fear is that Jerry would dismiss the expert opinions of others in the process but I don't really think that is the case.

I think its pretty well documented at this point that Jerry has been taking a team approach on personnel matters for several years and its working pretty well.

I suspect Jerry is infinitely more qualified to watch film of players than most people on this board who nevertheless believe themselves very qualified to make personnel decisions.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
dmq;2157790 said:
What I don't get is our philosophy on 3rd down was different than what was working on 1st and 2nd down. Against NE was a big example of it. We would apply pressure on 1st and 2nd down and then we would back off on 3rd. It was a fatal flaw in philosophy if you ask me. The worst way to expose a secondary is to give a QB more time to connect w/ his receivers.
I am hoping that now that we have confidence in our secondary, we will be applying pressure on 3rd down as well. It was very frustrating to watch last year.

trying to go off memory, I think it had to do with personnal groupings. I remember alot of times Nate Jones getting killed by Welker. And maybe we were more concern with N. Jones getting beat for big plays instead of just the first down, just my thoughs.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
dmq;2157790 said:
What I don't get is our philosophy on 3rd down was different than what was working on 1st and 2nd down.

Because the opposing teams teams change their philosophy in 3rd downs. If the other team pulls their TE or FB and goes to a a 3rd and 4 WR set on 3rd and 7, do you still want to stay in the base package because it worked on 1st and 2nd down? Who's covering the slot WR, Bradie James or Roy Williams?

dmq

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2157844 said:
Because the opposing teams teams change their philosophy in 3rd downs. If the other team pulls their TE or FB and goes to a a 3rd and 4 WR set on 3rd and 7, do you still want to stay in the base package because it worked on 1st and 2nd down? Who's covering the slot WR, Bradie James or Roy Williams?

I understand that you can't keep the same package in when the other team changes their package, but I felt we abandoned bringing pressure on 3rd down. I don't care what it takes, but Ware should be going after the QB as much as humanly possible.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It's because Jacques Reeves and Nate Jones sucked, and you can't leave them one-on-one. In a zone, you can at least make a tackle. Man-to-man, it's a touchdown. It's that simple.

IndianaCowboyFan

The Bullet
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2157860 said:
It's because Jacques Reeves and Nate Jones sucked, and you can't leave them one-on-one. In a zone, you can at least make a tackle. Man-to-man, it's a touchdown. It's that simple.

Pretty much my thought also. 3rd downs were often very painful. This year will be different.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
CoCo;2157829 said:

There is nothing wrong with someone trying to learn as much as they can about their business. Of course the fear is that Jerry would dismiss the expert opinions of others in the process but I don't really think that is the case.

I think its pretty well documented at this point that Jerry has been taking a team approach on personnel matters for several years and its working pretty well.

I suspect Jerry is infinitely more qualified to watch film of players than most people on this board who nevertheless believe themselves very qualified to make personnel decisions.

That is true. This is his 20th season in the NFL and has attended countless practices, minicamps, scouting visits, combines, locker rooms, games and coaching meetings. He has worked closely with Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells and the other head and assistant coaches. He has lived and breathed more NFL football than all but a select few human beings. He has millions of dollars invested in his team and has a strong motivation to learn all he can. I would say he probably knows quite a bit more than even an expert-level fan.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dmq;2157790 said:
What I don't get is our philosophy on 3rd down was different than what was working on 1st and 2nd down. Against NE was a big example of it. We would apply pressure on 1st and 2nd down and then we would back off on 3rd.

Bottom line - We need to bring the heat regardless of what down it is.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score

I'm liking the sugar coating. :D

Our zone D left everything underneath open.

examples:

Skins game where Campbell had a season high game (Mr. dink and dunk) and after Farve went down, Rogers taken all that short stuff from our soft zone. :banghead:

With our upgraded secondary, hopefully we'll play more tight man coverage and have our sack #s increase as a result.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
dmq;2157856 said:
I understand that you can't keep the same package in when the other team changes their package, but I felt we abandoned bringing pressure on 3rd down. I don't care what it takes, but Ware should be going after the QB as much as humanly possible.

According to Football Outsiders, here's what we rushed on each pass play (attempts, sacks and scrambles) last season --

FIRST DOWNS (241 plays)
Rush 3 = 5 times (2.1 percent)
Rush 4 = 147 times (61.0 percent)
Rush 5 = 82 times (34.0 percent)
Rush 6 = 7 times (2.9 percent)
Rush 7 = 0 times
Average = 4.38 rushers

SECOND DOWNS (200 plays)
Rush 3 = 3 times (1.5 percent)
Rush 4 = 116 times (58 percent)
Rush 5 = 70 times (35 percent)
Rush 6 = 10 times (5 percent)
Rush 7 = 1 time (0.5 percent)
Average = 4.45 rushers

THIRD DOWNS (193 plays)
Rush 3 = 3 times (1.6 percent)
Rush 4 = 111 times (57.5 percent)
Rush 5 = 72 times (37.3 percent)
Rush 6 = 7 times (3.6 percent)
Rush 7 = 0 times
Average = 4.43 rushers

FOURTH DOWNS (12 plays)
Rush 3 = 0 times
Rush 4 = 8 times (66.7 percent)
Rush 5 = 3 times (25 percent)
Rush 6 = 1 time (8.3 percent)
Rush 7 = 0 times
Average = 4.42 percent

Give or take a couple of plays, we used essentially the same pressure no matter what down it was.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score

This isn't surprising to me at all.

There have been so many times players have mistakenly referred to Jerry as the coach of the team when asked about him.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
CoCo;2157829 said:

Really? He thought Quincy Carter was worthy of a 2nd round draft choice when just about every one else in the universe thought differently.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score

Not to mention we had very little pass rush up the middle which is where we had LB/S trying to cover slot WR's and TE's. Adding in the fact that Reeves would play 34 yards off the ball and it's no wonder teams were always making first downs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I used to feel the same way but after 20+ years of doing it and being around some of the best football minds there has ever been im sure a smart guy like him who was also a college football player has picked up on a few things.