Twitter: Jerry on Dak: Evolving into NFL QB, "Picture Perfect"

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Except wins.

Which will have meaning when they go to a 1 on 1 tournament.. While they're still playing 46 on 46 on game days the wins thing is horse bleep. Until someone can name me a QB who has won anything with a defense giving up over 30 ppg I am going to continue to tell yall where yall can stick the "wins" argument. Back when the defense was at least serviceable Dak won considerably more games than he lost. Now that it has devolved into hot dawg poop he has started losing more. To the surprise of absolutely no one. Dak's QBr of 78.4 this year would have ranked him 5th this year. His 99.6 passer rating would have been 10th. His 68% completion rate would have tied Rivers for 8th. He was on pace to throw 35 TDs which would have landed him tied for 6th. We all know the yardage pace he was on would have set an NFL record so I won't even bother to elaborate on that. His yards per attempt of 8.4 would rank second. His net yards per attempt would rank #1. Dak was more than holding up his end of the bargain this season. Bottom line is Dak ranked in the top 10 in pretty much every meaningful category for QBs this year.. It's lunacy to blame him because the defense gave up the lead he got us at the end of the Seattle game and allowed teams to run the ball up and down the field on us. And DGMS on Moore's idiotic red zone play calling.

All that said, I go back to the same thing .. If I was talking to Dak I would advise him as follows: Sign a long term deal or leave town.. Period. You want to be a Cowboy, the Cowboys want you.. neither side wants a team that sucks for the next 5 years.. so if you're going to ask for 15% of the cap understand the responsibility that comes with that and do the team a solid. You know they will take care of you on the back end.. Now get the damn thing done..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
As opposed to?

Deshaun Watson is the best comp in the league for Dak, and the Texans went 4-12. How elite was Aaron Rodgers last year with Davante Adams out (hint: not very)? How elite has Russ Wilson looked since Lockett got banged up (hint: not very).

This is such a dumb line of criticism to Dak.

Well, as I read this, this really just shows why you shouldn't over pay for a QB. I mean, the Texans are paying Watson 39 AAY with 110 GTD and what do they have to show for it? 4-12 record in 2020 and for that, they had to trade DeAndrea Hopkins, one of the best, if not the best WR in the entire NFL. They couldn't pay him.

This year, Hopkins put up 1407 yards on 115 receptions, 6 TDs and a 12.2 AYPR. So, the question I ask, how good does Watson look without Hopkins, forever?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Until someone can name me a QB who has won anything with a defense giving up over 30 ppg I am going to continue to tell yall where yall can stick the "wins" argument. Bottom line is Dak ranked in the top 10 in pretty much every meaningful category for QBs this year.. It's lunacy to blame him because the defense gave up the lead he got us at the end of the Seattle game and allowed teams to run the ball up and down the field on us. And DGMS on Moore's idiotic red zone play calling.

All that said, I go back to the same thing .. If I was talking to Dak I would advise him as follows: Sign a long term deal or leave town.. Period. You want to be a Cowboy, the Cowboys want you.. neither side wants a team that sucks for the next 5 years.. so if you're going to ask for 15% of the cap understand the responsibility that comes with that and do the team a solid. You know they will take care of you on the back end.. Now get the damn thing done..

You name me the team who payed out 22% of their team cap and managed to keep their Core Offense and Defense intact. I mean, fair is fair right?

But I do agree with the second part of the post I included. Go to the Cowboys and help them trade you for what you want to play for or accept your deal, but lets be sure to understand that the cap for 2021 is 176 mil. According to Over The Cap, its a 22.2 mil decrease over last seasons cap, an 11.2 decrease. So a salary of say 35 mil over 5 years is really an average of 19 to 20 percent of the cap in 21. That, IMO, is more then fair. It's actually too much of an investment but that's the deal Jerry offered last year and I'd imagine that he will honor that deal.

JMO

Last edited:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Which will have meaning when they go to a 1 on 1 tournament.. While they're still playing 46 on 46 on game days the wins thing is horse bleep. Until someone can name me a QB who has won anything with a defense giving up over 30 ppg I am going to continue to tell yall where yall can stick the "wins" argument. Back when the defense was at least serviceable Dak won considerably more games than he lost. Now that it has devolved into hot dawg poop he has started losing more. To the surprise of absolutely no one. Dak's QBr of 78.4 this year would have ranked him 5th this year. His 99.6 passer rating would have been 10th. His 68% completion rate would have tied Rivers for 8th. He was on pace to throw 35 TDs which would have landed him tied for 6th. We all know the yardage pace he was on would have set an NFL record so I won't even bother to elaborate on that. His yards per attempt of 8.4 would rank second. His net yards per attempt would rank #1. Dak was more than holding up his end of the bargain this season. Bottom line is Dak ranked in the top 10 in pretty much every meaningful category for QBs this year.. It's lunacy to blame him because the defense gave up the lead he got us at the end of the Seattle game and allowed teams to run the ball up and down the field on us. And DGMS on Moore's idiotic red zone play calling.

Yup, blah, blah, blah, but, but, but the defense, the defense, the defense. Or the coaches, or the oline, or the kicking team, or the cheerleaders, or the (fill in the blank). Maybe the gatoraid was spiked.

It's always someone else's fault except the greatest wonder of the world, The Dak. Take you novel somewhere else.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
It seems like the Dak haters are the emotionally challenged as all you do is whine about Dak. Constantly. Pull your pantys out and accept that he will be here for a long time or just move on to hating someone else.

...and here comes the other one. Interesting that most that question Dak provide statistics yet Dak supporters provide tissues and safe spaces.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
...and here comes the other one. Interesting that most that question Dak provide statistics yet Dak supporters provide tissues and safe spaces.

Get with the program, brother! Dak is one of the wonders of the world, he can do no wrong, after he comes back from his flat tire he will win 20 Superbowls, take that to the bank, stupid Army guy! (damn, now i'm starting to insult like the dakky lovers do)...sorry bro.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You name me the team who payed out 22% of their team cap and managed to keep their Core Offense and Defense intact. I mean, fair is fair right?

But I do agree with the second part of the post I included. Go to the Cowboys and help them trade you for what you want to play for or accept your deal, but lets be sure to understand that the cap for 2021 is 176 mil. According to Over The Cap, its a 22.2 mil decrease over last seasons cap, an 11.2 decrease. So a salary of say 35 mil over 5 years is really an average of 19 to 20 percent of the cap in 21. That, IMO, is more then fair. It's actually too much of an investment but that's the deal Jerry offered last year and I'd imagine that he will honor that deal.

JMO

You don't have to pay out 22% of the cap in year 1 or 2 of the deal anyway.. and there are whispers that the cap is NOT going to go down as much as previously expected. Start the base low enough to keep the cap hit low (or at least low enough) until the new deal is negotiated in two years. Then escalate it. It can be done.. Is it's easy? Of course not.. but there are people making 8 figure salaries who are supposed to figure it out.. So do your damn job.

Praxit

Reaction score
....Mahomes is probably worried, Dak will make his contract look like a poor man's. lol...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yup, blah, blah, blah, but, but, but the defense, the defense, the defense. Or the coaches, or the oline, or the kicking team, or the cheerleaders, or the (fill in the blank). Maybe the gatoraid was spiked.

It's always someone else's fault except the greatest wonder of the world, The Dak. Take you novel somewhere else.

Dude, you can't seriously be trying to argue that we should just ignore what the rest of the team is doing. Like I said, when football goes to a 1 on 1 format I will ignore what the other 45 guys do on game day when assessing wins and losses. Until then.. I grade them 46 on 46. You are free to feel however you wanna feel about it. You're also free not to read any of my "novels" if it strains your brain too much.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You don't have to pay out 22% of the cap in year 1 or 2 of the deal anyway.. and there are whispers that the cap is NOT going to go down as much as previously expected. Start the base low enough to keep the cap hit low (or at least low enough) until the new deal is negotiated in two years. Then escalate it. It can be done.. Is it's easy? Of course not.. but there are people making 8 figure salaries who are supposed to figure it out.. So do your damn job.

So you believe that the Cowboys should short pay up front and take the hit at the back end of the 4 year deal and still pay out big money, is that it? You realize what those percentages look like right? I mean, you have no idea what the cap number is going to be in 23,24,25 etc. How in the world does any good GM take that risk? Unless, of course you already know what the numbers look like and what players will be available to get cut or restructure, which lets face it, only make the problem worse.

But I do agree with the do your job part. Perhaps the job is to manage the cap in the first place and just say no, we aren't doing this. Maybe that's the job.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Dude, you can't seriously be trying to argue that we should just ignore what the rest of the team is doing. Like I said, when football goes to a 1 on 1 format I will ignore what the other 45 guys do on game day when assessing wins and losses. Until then.. I grade them 46 on 46. You are free to feel however you wanna feel about it. You're also free not to read any of my "novels" if it strains your brain too much.

Done....see you later. It's always the 45 guys, and not the most important one, which is Dak. Always someone else that screwed up. That is you and the rest of you Dak lovers mantra...Dak can do nothing wrong.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So you believe that the Cowboys should short pay up front and take the hit at the back end of the 4 year deal and still pay out big money, is that it? You realize what those percentages look like right? I mean, you have no idea what the cap number is going to be in 23,24,25 etc. How in the world does any good GM take that risk? Unless, of course you already know what the numbers look like and what players will be available to get cut or restructure, which lets face it, only make the problem worse.

But I do agree with the do your job part. Perhaps the job is to manage the cap in the first place and just say no, we aren't doing this. Maybe that's the job.

I would counter that with this question: How in the world does any good GM walk away from his franchise QB? This aint Blake Bortles or Blaine Gabbert we're talking about.. We're talking about a consensus top 10 QB who was trending toward top 5 who was leading the top offense in the league over his last 21 starts. All while playing behind an injury riddled offensive line and with a running back that 50% of the posters on this site tells us is washed up? Oh and with an OC still in diapers coaching-wise.

As for the cap in '23 forward? The new TV deals are going to dwarf what they are now and when they add in the streaming deals the cap might go up 40-50% .. I think in 2025 the cap will be closer to 300 million than 200. In which case 35-40 million for your QB is going to be a veritable bargain. 20% of 300 would be 60 million.. So any cap number under that will be "team friendly." :cool:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I would counter that with this question: How in the world does any good GM walk away from his franchise QB? This aint Blake Bortles or Blaine Gabbert we're talking about.. We're talking about a consensus top 10 QB who was trending toward top 5 who was leading the top offense in the league over his last 21 starts. All while playing behind an injury riddled offensive line and with a running back that 50% of the posters on this site tells us is washed up? Oh and with an OC still in diapers coaching-wise.

As for the cap in '23 forward? The new TV deals are going to dwarf what they are now and when they add in the streaming deals the cap might go up 40-50% .. I think in 2025 the cap will be closer to 300 million than 200. In which case 35-40 million for your QB is going to be a veritable bargain. 20% of 300 would be 60 million.. So any cap number under that will be "team friendly." :cool:

Your Honor. Exhibit one.

See, it's always someone else's fault. lmao. Excuse after excuse, if only someone would do there job, then Dak will win multiple SB's.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

....well considering that Dalton performed similar in terms of winning percentage with an even worse oline and an even worse running back....then the question should be why bother to pay Dak for similar results?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
So you think that Chris Paul, Westbrook, Harden and John Wall at 41 million makes sense when Lebron is at 39 million? They are losers. If you didn't get to have Lebron at 39 million you would be OK with Blake Griffen or Paul George or Klay Thompson or Mike Conley, Kemba Walker, Thobias Harris or Kris Middleton? All of those clowns make over 33 million. If the system actually made sense Lebron would make 10 times what any of those bums make. Same thing in the NFL. No one should be even close to Rogers or Mahomes. But they are.
Nobody is Lebron but all these players outside of wall are top talent that is hard to get in the nba. Not like Dak where its quite a few average qb's parading around the league. Your argument was junk on this one and most non emotional people would agree sorry. You were making as if some scrub nobody heard of was getting paid the big money. Stop it. Don't tell me after I pointed out you junk argument about them other players. I posted off of the post I originally quoted.

Dak doesn't deserve 40mill just like most of them other qb's like Cousins don't deserve their deals but if nfl owners are going to be stupid I guess they'll keep getting suckered with average qb's.

khiladi

Reaction score
Well, even per Dak-stans, Jerry sucks at evaluating talent, so this statement is no surprise..

ShaneFalco

Reaction score

LOL. DAL has 27 MIL. You can’t find a penny more. Cause there is no more. Tak is gone. His agent doesn’t need or care to listen to tall tales about redoing contracts in 2 years. They want their money and they know all they have to do is just say, “nope” to the cheesedick offers and just wait. Either way Tak gets paid big. Tak wants his money. It’s the Cousins method and it works. His brother Dot is out there speaking on his behalf. They know DAL can’t do it. So, now like clockwork they are going to start the PR war and make their case to be traded or released. Either way, Tak gets paid. Big.

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry should sign Dak for 40 million on a long term contract with Philbin as OL coach and they are going to need to rebuild the line. Going to be some great comedy.