Twitter: Jerry on the defense this season: "I'd like to start over with our approach"

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nolan's scheme isn't what the problem is. It's the fact he's trying to run it with guys who would never have been drafted for this scheme in the first place. Rod Marinelli's front seven is WAYYY different than most any other in the league. Am I saying Nolan is a good DC? Not at all. He may very well be terrible and he isn't doing himself any favors by not being able to make these guys play at least average D. But at the same time he is at a disadvantage with this personnel group.

Pretty easy analysis and you nailed it. Wrong personnel left over from Garrett and mass of injuries combined with little to no offseason have derailed any hope of Nolan having success with this defense. Its really little to do with coaching. Do fans really think Nolan tells these clowns to vacate their gap or miss a tackle. Tells them to take bad angles or blow assignments? Does he tell Jaylon to be slow or lack change of direction ability? Does he tell Jaylon to sit 5 yards downfield and wait for the lineman and ball carrier to come to him?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
lol jerry has no idea what he is doing or talking about he should be at home where he belongs

Aven8

Reaction score
I said it early on that they should have demoted Nolan and made Edwards the DC. In hindsight however, it doesn’t really matter anymore. We’ve had too many injuries regardless and the season was over almost before it started.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that Nolan run last years scheme instead of his own scheme? I dont see how that makes any sense. Nolan didnt plan for all these injuries. And they probably figured that although the defense might struggle some in the beginning due to lack of time, by the 2nd half of the season they would start to come together. And regardless they would have a big leg up next season with a full year playing in the scheme already.

I was posting that Jerry didn't just indicate that Nolan's scheme itself was the sole factor in the miserable performances most of this season. But since you are on the subject it is reasonable to state that Nolan's 3-4 scheme is known to be complex, therefore it could take that much longer for players to adapt and thrive to it even in a a normal season. Also it appears we may have key players that may be ill suited to thrive in Nolan's scheme. Nolan had a history of mixed success running it with other teams.

Parcells implemented a more basic 3-4 scheme with the Cowboys and he had some talented, physical playmakers on that defensive line to help maintain gap integrity and a talented linebacker corps to support that effort. I also similarly posted as you that our miserable performances throughout this season were also a result of reduced practices and training due to pandemic restrictions - and a continuous devastating number of player injuries.

Darkhound

Reaction score
Jerry jones is a total morno... and in as a GM he is pure and absolute GARBAGE

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Normally you would think this spells the just dismissal of Nolan...but this is Jerry Jones. After the season is mercifully over, he will voice his support for all the coaches and reiterate his belief that we can win with this staff and these players. Then we will draft to fit Nolan's scheme.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
"Start over" sounds good, starting right after the Cowboys won SB XXX.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The cowboys thought they could sign Poe and Mccoy and have them tie up the inside, leaving the linebackers to flow to the ball and control the run game. That didn't work at all. Mccoy was gone before the season and then Poe would just stand up and get blocked one on one. The DT's dallas has now try to play 2 gap scheme and hold up blockers but they can't and get regularly blown back by a single blocker. That leaves other blockers free to hit the LB's, who just stand there and take the hit and then try to actually do something once the runner is 5 yards down the field.

A good bit of the problem with defense starts there. As long as they can't stop the run, then teams are always in a good down and distance plus play action works well. Thrown in a bunch of blown coverages and you have a recipe for an awful defense.

Overall, this is Jerry and McCampo's fault. They took a bunch of bad defenders and then put them in a bad position. The lack of understanding or caring about defense from the top dogs is really apparent.

I'm not sure where you even go from here. Rebuild the defense so that Nolan can coach them to mediocrity? Go find a 1 gap coordinator like Marinelli? There are so many problems that there is no simple fix.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Is he talking scheme, players or Nolan? I'm not sure which one......

I think he's talking about scheme and not having the right players to run it. In a shorten off-season, they should of just tweaked the defense and bring in a new complicated scheme they never ran with the majority of these players.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Pretty easy analysis and you nailed it. Wrong personnel left over from Garrett and mass of injuries combined with little to no offseason have derailed any hope of Nolan having success with this defense. Its really little to do with coaching. Do fans really think Nolan tells these clowns to vacate their gap or miss a tackle. Tells them to take bad angles or blow assignments? Does he tell Jaylon to be slow or lack change of direction ability? Does he tell Jaylon to sit 5 yards downfield and wait for the lineman and ball carrier to come to him?

the “no offseason, that’s why we stink” excuse doesn’t work...

we are in week 13...and the defense still stinks.

Ranked 32nd.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Normally you would think this spells the just dismissal of Nolan...but this is Jerry Jones. After the season is mercifully over, he will voice his support for all the coaches and reiterate his belief that we can win with this staff and these players. Then we will draft to fit Nolan's scheme.

Dallas ranked 11th vs the run in 2019

Nolan stinks.

he did the same thing to the Falcons in 2012-2014. Ask ATL fans about Nolan.

he can’t coach.

he only got the job because he is big buddies with MikeM.

(Nolan hired MikeM to be the OC at 49ers in 2005. Mike hires Nolan to be DC in 2020.)

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I said it early on that they should have demoted Nolan and made Edwards the DC. In hindsight however, it doesn’t really matter anymore. We’ve had too many injuries regardless and the season was over almost before it started.

people have pride.

You can’t demote someone like that.

you could go the Monte route. Make him a Senior Consultant, etc.

Best to fire Nolan after game 16.

he lost the season already.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Nolan's scheme isn't what the problem is. It's the fact he's trying to run it with guys who would never have been drafted for this scheme in the first place. Rod Marinelli's front seven is WAYYY different than most any other in the league. Am I saying Nolan is a good DC? Not at all. He may very well be terrible and he isn't doing himself any favors by not being able to make these guys play at least average D. But at the same time he is at a disadvantage with this personnel group.

we ran the 4-2-5 last season too.

KRichard loves that scheme. #LegionOfBoom

Dallas D ranked 11th in 2019.

Jerry and the high command though they could replace KRichard with Nolan.

huge mistake, given Nolan’s history this decade.

hiring Edwards was insurance, but the damage was already done.

too late.

Gaede

Reaction score

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is what they do. Demote Nolan to LB coach, a job he has actually done well at in the past, and either promote Edwards or bring in a new DC and keep most of the staff in place. I have a hard time picturing an entirely new defensive staff. Even though this team needs it.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Early on in the season, one could blame it on the defensive scheme. But the defense is playing much worse generally as the season goes on. The defense played well against Rams, Vikes, and Stealers. The other 9 games they blew chunks.

Signing Poe and Griffen were abject failures. Signing Aldon Smith was very good. Signing McCoy was a failure because he got hurt.

Hard to evaluate with some key injuries to Vander Esch, Awuzie, Diggs, and Brown for extended games.

A lot of it is just knuckleheads freelancing and making business decision tackles which have nothing to do with scheme.

The defensive players in general are physically and mentally weak. No scheme or defensive coordinator can be successful with players just collecting pay checks.

Redline360

Reaction score
Well the defense has one defensive player that would be considered a starter on any team and that would be DLaw. Even he looked like another wasted contract due to last years performance and the first couple of games this season. Ever since the Giants game he has played like what his contract is worth.

The only other person on the defense worth keeping is Diggs as he is a rookie and shows upside. The rest of them would be 2nd or 3rd string players. Helll a couple of them peobably wouldn't even be in the league if it wasnt for the cowboys