Jerry on the Michael Irvin Show..

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
He was talking about Felix, saying that they had no clue how smart he was. Said that while he was in camp that he just picked things up so fast and at that point they knew they had a special player... He hinted about his pass catching ability which leads me to believe that hes going to be a major player in this offense down the stretch.

While talking about the recievers Irvin asked if Austin could replace Crayton as the number 2. Jones said that 2,3,4,5 doesnt matter that everyone would get their chances and do whatever they could to help the team... (those are my interpertations.)

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
dillinger319;2285568 said:
He was talking about Felix, saying that they had no clue how smart he was. Said that while he was in camp that he just picked things up so fast and at that point they knew they had a special player... He hinted about his pass catching ability which leads me to believe that hes going to be a major player in this offense down the stretch.

If this is true then why isn't he a bigger part of our offense already?

kmp77

Reaction score
dmq;2285582 said:

We haven't needed him to be yet :) Keep some things a secret for down the road.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
dmq;2285582 said:

I know in some passing situations, he needs to learn to block a bit better if the play calls for him to do so. Perhaps this is why his playing time is limited right now.

Give him time, and we'll unleash him during the playoffs.

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
dmq;2285582 said:

Ohh its not true I just made it up for the hell of it..:rolleyes:

He did mention that for a 3rd down back to be in there they have to be able to block and he said for example Emmitt was one of the best.

Jerry was just gushing over Felix, he said in training camp when they would throw screens that Felix was already spotting the safeties and linebackers, that way he would know where to go. He also said that everyone was surprised just how good he is.

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2285599 said:
After T.O......all of our wr's are good.

I wish I could do a recap but I just dont have the time.

Yeh he said it doesnt matter who the number 2 is.. When you have TO as a number 1 and Witten.

Also mentioned that Witten has some of Irvins traits as far as being a leader and motivater on offense.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anybody comfortable with Felix taking a bigger role in blitz pickups in his second pro game against Philly?

GB, I think we ran Barber in response to what they were giving us. I bet we see Felix on screens starting with Washington.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
dillinger319;2285617 said:
Jerry was just gushing over Felix, he said in training camp when they would throw screens that Felix was already spotting the safeties and linebackers, that way he would know where to go. He also said that everyone was surprised just how good he is.

This was very evident on his touchdown the other night. He juked a little to hold Peprah in his spot, burst away from Woodson and juked Peprah again to get to the corner. Many running backs might have tried to run that play inside. Most would have gotten tackled. This guy has amazing vision, instincts.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Idgit;2285630 said:
Anybody comfortable with Felix taking a bigger role in blitz pickups in his second pro game against Philly?

GB, I think we ran Barber in response to what they were giving us. I bet we see Felix on screens starting with Washington.

GB was rushing 4 and dropping 7, that's a bad defense to run screens against so I'd have to concur with you 100%.

QT

Reaction score
Nate was hilarious breaking down the conversation. It made me crack up when he talked about the bulldog and little dog comparision. "yes boss, yes boss". lol... He was comparing the bulldog and little dog to Jerry and Michael, implying that whatever Jerry said, Michael would just agree to everything he said...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
dmq;2285582 said:

My guess is blitz pickup technique. I've seen him get embarrassed a couple of times!

Dodger12

Reaction score
Anyone who has time should listen to the Podcast; Jerry was great. Here's a few things that I can remember.

-He talked about Joe Thiesman, after the 1989 draft, stated that Jerry was dismantling a once great/proud franchise because he picked Aikman over Mandarich. Jerry said he sends Theisman that clip every couple of years.

-Jerry talked about when he first purchased the Cowboys and the team/organization was losing $75,000.00 per day ($1,000,000.00 per month) in operating was losing costs/expenses. I know the numbers don't add up but maybe I missunderstood his point. He said he'd lose allot of sleep at night and when he could sleep, a cricket could wake him up and he'd be up for the night. But it would motivate him to work harder.

-One intersting tid-bit was that Jerry was interested in purchasing the San Diego Chargers, prior to his purchase of the Cowboys. He never let his wife in on his thoughts regarding the Chargers. But, according to Jerry, he wanted to buy the Chargers with no money down. Obviously, that didn't work out but he said something about going to their team hotel where they'd be staying just to be close to and see the players.

-Another story was when Irvin and the Cowboys were at an impass over Irvin's new contract. As the represenative from Irvin and the team left the table, Mike and Jerry spoke in private. Jerry asked Mike if he'd heard the country song about "El Paso" and Jerry said that's what he was going to do with this contract...."el pass o", meaning this was it.....Irvin signed the contract.

-One of the emotional moments was when Jerry talked about the Philly game and Irvin's career ending injury. Jerry was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital with Mike, all the while Jerry was on the phone with Mike's wife giving her a play by play. For a while, Irvin didn't have any movement and couldn't feel anything. Then, Irvin started to move his one finger, then the other, and so on and so forth. You can tell there's allot of respect between the two.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
dmq;2285645 said:
This was very evident on his touchdown the other night. He juked a little to hold Peprah in his spot, burst away from Woodson and juked Peprah again to get to the corner. Many running backs might have tried to run that play inside. Most would have gotten tackled. This guy has amazing vision, instincts.

Yeah, I agree, it was evident he setup Peprah, as he juked Woodson. You know, I have seen some of Felix in College. I never saw anything special, but he was getting as many if not more yards as McFadden, which is one of the reasons I didn't get as impressed with McFadden.

But, man, he is indeed way more better than I thought he would be.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
If you have seen this thread and haven't listened to it, you are out of your mind. This is Jerry Jones the human being in living color.

Anyone have the rest of the podcast?

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
zrinkill;2286120 said:
Yes please .....

dcfanatic we are relying on you .... ;)

Working on getting the entire interview.

Will know more tomorrow morning.