Jerry Rice Retiring

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Normally I do too. I don't know what there was about Jerry Rice that just rubbed me the wrong way. there was just something about him that got on my nerves. *shurg*

But I do admit to his talent, skill and dedication...it was undeniable.
I hated Buddy Ryan so much when he was the Philly coach, but to this day, I still laugh at some of the things he used to say about the Cowboys.

I hated tons of guys when they played, but after it was all over, I gave them props and respect for what they did for the game.

It's like when I saw Emmitt Smith on the Stephen A. Smith show, it amazed me that the NY fans really gave him a warm welcome, when we know how bad he tore up their defense in the nineties.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eskimo said:
probably best overall player, too.
The guys on ESPN radio were talking about that a while ago. There is a case to be made for several former players. Each individual has their own criteria on what it takes to be the best ever player. While I agree Rice was an above average WR ( :eek: ) for me personally he isn't the best overall player.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
In related news, friends and relatives of Al Michaels say they have not been able to reach the veteran broadcaster since Rice made his annoucement...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab said:
In related news, friends and relatives of Al Michaels say they have not been able to reach the veteran broadcaster since Rice made his annoucement...
This just in! The Associate Press reports that Chris Berman has admitted himself into the Betty Ford Center. Updates to follow...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Chief said:
That means he'll be in the same Hall of Fame class as Emmitt.

Uggh.

:thumbdo:

Is that true? Cause technically, he is retiring this year. He was in training camp, the preseason, and all.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Is that true? Cause technically, he is retiring this year. He was in training camp, the preseason, and all.

Good question.

I just assumed only the regular season games counted in regards to a player's year of retirement. I guess we'll see.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
Great Player (didn't like him) but still props for what he did. Good thing he retired, he wasn't doing much anymore. Great Career!

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

:laugh2:

He'll still find a way to work Rice's name into just about every game broadcast.

Just watch.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
I thought Rice was the best WR of all time hands down... His talent and work ethic is undeniable... But since he was a 69er I absolutely loathed him... He was an arrogant a__hole. I guess his delicate ego couldn't take not being a starter in Denver. What, even at age 77 he got to get his wespect and props... I would have had more respect for him if he gave it up like he should have, even after his stellar career ended with the seafowl. Hell he has every number imaginable in the recordbooks... Gonna be a loooooong time before someone breaks what he's done... If Randy Moss or TO keep their heads on straight they might do it.

Eskimo

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
The guys on ESPN radio were talking about that a while ago. There is a case to be made for several former players. Each individual has their own criteria on what it takes to be the best ever player. While I agree Rice was an above average WR ( :eek: ) for me personally he isn't the best overall player.

I am more referring to my era of watching football which is from 1981 to the present.

The other players that particularly standout during that stretch are:

John Elway
Dan Marino
Randy Moss
Barry Sanders
Emmitt Smith
Larry Allen
Reggie White
Lawrence Taylor
Deion Sanders

Each of these guys had to accounted for on every play for multiple years.

I think Rice was the best of the bunch but a case can be made for any of them (I know Moss doesn't fit in well with the others but from a pure talent point of view, he is the best I've ever seen).

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
As much as I hate SF..I really do..you cannot hate Jerry Rice for what he did. Simply put, there is nobody better than him, ever. It urks me when I talk to 9ers fans and they are so arogant about their team that they won't give Irvin credit too, but facts are facts, Rice was amazing.

No one did what he did, 208 TD's, 22,000yrds total offense, 3 SB rings. At 38 the guy was still among the best WR in the game.

Moss may have alot more talent, Owens may be bigger and faster, but Rice is simply the greatest WR. His hands, his ability after the catch, the guy was amazing in his prime. Just like people bashing Smith because he wasn't the fastest or flashiest back, who did it as good and for as long as either of them.

49ers fans need to recognize the greatness with Smith, and most do, just as all Cowboys fans, who should also hate SF, should recognize what Rice brought to the the table.

That being said, I think it was time, but again, who's to tell the man when to stop. I think he swallowed his pride and realized he wasn't Jerry Rice anymore, but a 5th WR.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
This HOF class will be amazing with the All time Leading Rusher and Receiver in the same class.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SupermanXx said:
It's about damn time

No doubt. He's the best player in the history of the NFL, but also an arrogant one. Respect the heckll out of the guy but as a person I always found him irritating as hell.

Wonder if it was because he played for the 9ers?

;)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I lost a ton of respect for Rice this week. He decides to retire AFTER the Broncos have to cut the roster down. He just got a young player cut - so that he could have some more time to think about whether he wanted to be a #4 receiver. That is not right. He had about 8 months to decide if he was going to play or not - why hurt a young player's career for an extra day or two?

ghst187

Reaction score
about time, he hasn't been very good since he left the 69ers.
Some people just can't let go.
Wish someone would make him give back one of those rings that should be ours.
Now if Favre will retire we won't have to listen as much of Madden's manlove ravings.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i cannot believe he asked steve largent if he could use his retired number all because he couldn't admit it was over.

one of my fave roy williams hits is when he smashed his face in the chalk in that seattle game last year.... absolutely loved it!

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
He would've been a role player in Denver and his biggest role would've been cheering on the young guys. I think he's a world class athlete and person for being man enough to realize that his time to call it quits has finally arrived.

VirusX

Reaction score
I think it will be the best induction of all time. Imagine two people going into the HOF Emmitt and Jerry holy crap talk about Hall of Famers.. Two people possibly the best EVER! :eek: