Jerry said something on NFLN...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
When Rich Eisen was asking him about trading for vet WR and he specifically mentioned Chad Johnson jerry said something like the following.

"I am not allowed to comment on those things because we have not been given permission to speak with the player."

When pressed he further said,

"Your logic is very good."

They both kinda gave one of those wink wink laughs and they moved on.

I wonder if there may be something in the works for a #1 pick next year for CJ and maybe an additional pick this year.

Just guessing but it seemed like an odd exchange.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
I heard it too. He basically said that he is looking into it but he isnt allowed to speak on the topic. If they turned down a 1 and 3 from the Commanders, why would they accept it from us? Plus we better ask TO.

wileedog

Reaction score
Corey Dillon tried unsuccessfully to escape from there for years. I doubt Johnson has a much better chance.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Man I hope not, I don't want another nut on this team but I guess 1 nut (Jethro) likes company!

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
TheKey;2055913 said:
I heard it too. He basically said that he is looking into it but he isnt allowed to speak on the topic. If they turned down a 1 and 3 from the Commanders, why would they accept it from us? Plus we better ask TO.

I would rather wait and get Roy Williams next year...

If I'm not mistaken, TO and CJ are good friends...

morasp

Reaction score
wileedog;2055928 said:
Corey Dillon tried unsuccessfully to escape from there for years. I doubt Johnson has a much better chance.

I came into today knowing that few rookie WRs contribute their first year so if we really want to take it to the next level this year we need to get a veteran. Either Boldin, Williams, or Johnson.

elcocinero

Reaction score
If Cincy trades Chad Johnson it would have the be after June 1st. They couldnt afford to take the cap hit before.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Looks like we'll either get a so so vet reciever in FA or we have to hope Stanbeck or Glenn can provide a threat and that TO can stay healthy.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
TheKey;2055913 said:

Maybe it's a combo for players and picks from us.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I saw it, but I doubt anything becomes of it. I just cant see Cinci trading him, especially after it was learned that they just paid out another bonus to him (and apparently its contracted that it cant be returned or something)

He isnt going anywhere this yr in all liklihood.

That said, Peter King said during the week he didnt think Dallas would get a veteran WR this weekend, but did believe we'd get Chad Johnson sometime during training camp or preseason. Dont know if he was just speculating or if he had heard something

David

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I think all he meant was that we had talked to them, I don't think it means anything is in the works, or at least not anymore.

The Bengals are not going to lose face by trading Chad now.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
trickblue;2055937 said:
I would rather wait and get Roy Williams next year...

If I'm not mistaken, TO and CJ are good friends...

Good friends until one of them catches a few balls in a row.

RomoIsBack

Reaction score
TheKey;2055913 said:
better ask t.o

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I doubt this means we're making a move for CJ but I don't care how much some don't like it if they are making a move for him, and get him, I'll be friggen thrilled to have CJ and TO at WR.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Ya, let's trade a guy for a pick 12 months from now when we could have had a #1 today. Real good logic.

silver

Reaction score
i hope jerry learned after the joey galloway fiasco not to overspend for a 30 year old WR.

links18

Reaction score
I have been mentioning this is several threads, but it seems to have gone over everyone's head--including Eisen's. It was indeed an awkward exchange and Jerry did give one of his smile and winks. If nothing else, he did not rule out making a play for Johnson. I don't know if anything will come of it, but it is hard for me to see Jerry satisfied with what we have at WR going into the season. One injury to TO and the offense becomes one dimensional real quick: see second half of Carolina game last year and Skins game. Jerry also didn't give a very ringing endorsement of Crayton in that interview, basically conceeding that they did not have the compliment to TO in the roster.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
The other day at the pre-Draft PC Jones was talking about how much consideration is given to the input from the doctors concerning injuries and the physical health of the potential draft pick.

I thought Jerry was saying something to the effect that they had not paid attention to the warnings from the Drs. about a particular player and that "they have one back there that has had surgery every year he's been here". Or something to that effect.

Has Fasano had surgery every year? Seems to me he had some this offseason and the offseason the year before. Could he be the guy jerry was talking about? Or might it have been Kevin Burnett?...

utrunner07

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2055867 said:
I wonder if there may be something in the works for a #1 pick next year for CJ and maybe an additional pick this year.

If this happens I will cease to be a Cowboy fan....it would be SO dumb for SO many reasons...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
links18;2055998 said:
I have been mentioning this is several threads, but it seems to have gone over everyone's head--including Eisen's. It was indeed an awkward exchange and Jerry did give one of his smile and winks. If nothing else, he did not rule out making a play for Johnson. I don't know if anything will come of it, but it is hard for me to see Jerry satisfied with what we have at WR going into the season. One injury to TO and the offense becomes one dimensional real quick: see second half of Carolina game last year and Skins game. Jerry also didn't give a very ringing endorsement of Crayton in that interview, basically conceeding that they did not have the compliment to TO in the roster.

Crayton is a very good #3 WR and he played over his head last year in Glenn's role. When money time came he came up small.

Add to that that Jerry said he wanted to add a WOW player on offense and that points to him wanting a top flight vet wr.

He still has time to make that move, maybe even giving up a #1 next year if he has to.