Jerry slow- playing to avoid paying a big name?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They've been really cheap in free agency. Stephen watches the purse closely.

It's not about the guaranteed money. It's about the power that goes with it. A well-paid coach isn't going to just tow the line for Jerry. He'll speak his mind publicly.

Jerry no likey.

Actually, most coaches say as little as possible to the media. Lane Kiffin is the only coach I know with a social media account he used to criticize or poke fun.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Folks, Garrett hasn't been let go yet. We just have media guesses of "expected to". Jerry's comments could indicate Garrett is staying. Also Garrett meeting with the team first and then Jones.
"The players want him here and they made that clear..."

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Steve Dennis suggested this last night. Said Billionaires always have a plan.

Anyone who follows the cowboys with even slight interest knows that's not true in Jerry's case. He has no plan. He doesn't know the coaches. He'll rely on his inner circle to point him in what they think is the right direction.

Aven8

Reaction score
Anyone who follows the cowboys with even slight interest knows that's not true in Jerry's case. He has no plan. He doesn't know the coaches. He'll rely on his inner circle to point him in what they think is the right direction.

Is Lacewell still alive?? :eek:

Verdict

Reaction score
Jerry's not slow playing anything. He already knows who he wants, & probably already has a wink/nod in place. He has to jump through the league hoops first. He doesn't want to step on his winky with the Rooney rule, or disrespect JG publicly.

Jerry also isn't afraid to pay whatever it takes to get the coach he wants.

2 cents

Rooney rule is an issue if Garrett is gone.

blueblood70

Reaction score

No hes not lots of coaches are still in a playoff run even some college coaches he might want, but for sure the playoff NFL caliber assistants all still under contract and in a prep for the playoffs.. you have to seek permission to speak to them in limited winodws..

so whats the rush to announce garetts future which BTW hes technically no longer under contract as it expires.. we dont have to fire him and he actually may not even be staying he can also walk away..he may not want to stay here..

he may leave and come back to kick our butts twice a year..you just never know...

quickccc

Reaction score
While many will keep talking about Jerry as it it will be a one man all by himself decision, ..i tend to feel that Stephen and McClay will play heavily
in this upcoming decision as compared to past HC hires.
They have been involved in key operations than i think ever before.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s amazing how some Cowboy fans are slow. After all of these years still expecting Jerry to conduct himself normally or like the rest of the league. Lol

visionary

Reaction score

Read those comments again with my tinfoil hat on “they can hire every name YOU HAVE HEARD”

here is my theory

if we announce a HC this week, great

if not, Jerry is looking to get Belichick or Payton

remember you heard it here

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
He is gonna do something completely stupid
Like either keep Garrett or give the job to Witten.

GMO415

Reaction score
Let me translate....

"We have already talked to who we want and we're in the process of crunching the final numbers."

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Apparently, there is a local HS coach who has been away for the Christmas break and will be back in town later this week. Hasn't lost a game in 4 years and has the #1 offense and #1 defense in the conference. Stay tuned.

Would not be worse than what we have been thru with Mr. 8-8.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Folks, Garrett hasn't been let go yet. We just have media guesses of "expected to". Jerry's comments could indicate Garrett is staying. Also Garrett meeting with the team first and then Jones.
"The players want him here and they made that clear..."

if Garrett stays i will leave cowboys zone and come back til he leaves. i’m so done with this guy..

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
They've been really cheap in free agency. Stephen watches the purse closely.

It's not about the guaranteed money. It's about the power that goes with it. A well-paid coach isn't going to just tow the line for Jerry. He'll speak his mind publicly.

Jerry no likey.

There is a salary cap for players. Not for coaches.