Twitter: Jerry: "Zeke is our best player"

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Someone asked John Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world. Lennon said that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles. I actually think Ringo was a pretty good drummer.

How does one choose the best player among Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Zeke, and Crawford? That's a toughie. Not a whole lot of separation between those four. I wish I was joking.

starfan1

Reaction score
Someone asked John Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world. Lennon said that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles. I actually think Ringo was a pretty good drummer.

How does one choose the best player among Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Zeke, and Crawford? That's a toughie. Not a whole lot of separation between those four. I wish I was joking.
lol well even though i think he hasn't lived up to his contract DLaw is head and shoulders above the other 3 and i think that was stupid contract. So he's screwing us less than the others

Adreme

Reaction score
He is so much the best that the moment he stopped playing the entire offense suddenly went from one of the best in football to completely inept instantly.... oh wait that was not him that was Dak. It is hard to argue you are the best player when the offense is trash with you on the field. Unless he means best of the remaining players, but even then I would take Martin and Cooper right now easily over him.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Is this a version of the Zeke runs into stacked boxes theory?

Because it’s been refuted multiple times. People exaggerate how much DCs “game plan” for Zeke, especially the last couple years.

No matter how much it has been refuted it doesn't change the fact that when dude is in the game he is the focus of the defense.. especially now with Dak out. I think counting the defenders in the tackle box and claiming Zeke doesn't face stacked boxes is disingenuous at best.. Especially when you there is typically two defenders standing just outside the tackles' shoulders waiting run blitz .. Technically, not a stacked box by the letter definition.. but 8 or 9 defenders within 5 yards of the ball pretty much says "we need to stop this guy.." Apparently every head coach we've faced this year are exaggerating how much they game plan for him as well.. since every one of them says the same thing.. "Stopping Zeke is our #1 priority on defense."

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Martin will go down as one of the top 10 greatest cowboys of all time.

The dude is literally about to have his 7th straight year of making the all pro team. Very realistic chance he makes first team all decade for two different decades, there's on average only two players a decade that achieve that honor

No he's not.. Martin has been all-pro 4 times but has been to the pro bowl every year. Also he's not going to go down as one of the top 10 greatest Cowboys unless the team starts winning something. What has been going on has not been his fault but that's the way it works. You have to win.. Period. No doubt he's been a great one.. but the lack of team success is going to work against all the guys of this era.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
lol well even though i think he hasn't lived up to his contract DLaw is head and shoulders above the other 3 and i think that was stupid contract. So he's screwing us less than the others

Lawrence has 3 sacks and 4 QB hits through 9 games. Crawford has 1 QB hit in 5 games.

Tussinman

Reaction score
No he's not.. Martin has been all-pro 4 times but has been to the pro bowl every year.
7 straight years is in reference to 1st or 2nd team (right now he's 6 straight years).

There's some very pick hardcores that will argue "2nd team doesn't count" but in reality the HOF recognizes it if you visit the museum (they list 2nd team as an all-pro selection). Not only that the 1st to 2nd ratio is about to be 5 to 2 so it's not like you can even say he's barely getting in on a technicality

Also he's not going to go down as one of the top 10 greatest Cowboys unless the team starts winning something.
Team success definately helps I would never argue against that but reality is if you get to the point to where your own personal success is freak like (in Martins case being only the 2nd player in franchise history to make all decade team for 2 different decades) then that will slide him in. Most list already have him fringe top 25 only 6 years into his career......

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
Lawrence has 3 sacks and 4 QB hits through 9 games. Crawford has 1 QB hit in 5 games.

I wont try and say DLaw is tearing the league up because IMO hes been a failure but he is very good in run defense even if he has a sack immunity. Crawford is just horrible

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I wont try and say DLaw is tearing the league up because IMO hes been a failure but he is very good in run defense even if he has a sack immunity. Crawford is just horrible

Yeah, I know. Sad part is that those 4 count for over $50M on the cap this year.

Plankton

Reaction score
No he's not.. Martin has been all-pro 4 times but has been to the pro bowl every year. Also he's not going to go down as one of the top 10 greatest Cowboys unless the team starts winning something. What has been going on has not been his fault but that's the way it works. You have to win.. Period. No doubt he's been a great one.. but the lack of team success is going to work against all the guys of this era.

Martin has been All-Pro all six years of his career to this point - Four 1st Team Selections (2014, 2016, 2018, 2019) and two 2nd Team Selections (2015, 2017).

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
lol at people turning on Zeke. If Dak was still playing this would not be considered a controversial statement. Now that Dak is gone, everyone can admit their true feelings about Zeke.

basel90

Reaction score

at a certain stage jerry has to stop the marketing and salesmanship and PR work and get back to planet earth. He has to own his mistakes just as he takes credit for wins and good acquisitions. It must be hard for stephen and some senior executives to watch this circus continue. When is jerry going to be frank and level with the fan base . Zeke is in full meltdown mode for a while and the owner calls him the best player ?? What type of motivation is that to players that are actually playing above expectations and above their pay scale. It seems the message jerry keeps sending is this : If you are a star you can have a bad year or two and i have your back as long as the fans buy your jersey and the revenue remains positive .

basel90

Reaction score
On the other hand, didn't jerry say Jason Garrett is one of the brightest coaches in the NFL last year. ?

cern

Reaction score
jerry just trying to motivate his rb before zeke gets disgusted with the state of things. dalvin cook vs zeke should be all the motivation zeke needs to prove his worth.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
7 straight years is in reference to 1st or 2nd team (right now he's 6 straight years).

There's some very pick hardcores that will argue "2nd team doesn't count" but in reality the HOF recognizes it if you visit the museum (they list 2nd team as an all-pro selection). Not only that the 1st to 2nd ratio is about to be 5 to 2 so it's not like you can even say he's barely getting in on a technicality

Team success definately helps I would never argue against that but reality is if you get to the point to where your own personal success is freak like (in Martins case being only the 2nd player in franchise history to make all decade team for 2 different decades) then that will slide him in. Most list already have him fringe top 25 only 6 years into his career......

Okay.. I gotcha.. 2nd team counts though obviously doesn't carry quite the same weight. I'm not here to argue that Zack is not great. He is tremendous.. best in the game for the bulk of his career. I do wonder if how bad the Cowboys have been this year might work against him this year. We know the pro bowl is very much reputation driven but all pro honors typically are predicated on guys actually paying attention. I just hope he stays healthy the rest of the way. I can't watch anymore games when both sides of the offensive line are getting caved in on our QB and our running backs. I need to believe that we can move the ball on at least one side!!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Martin is going to the HOF.

I'd game plan for Cooper over Zeke.

You might but it's easier to take a receiver out of the game than a running back. Plus when one guy is only going to get the ball 5-7 times and the other might get it 30 if he gets rolling.. the math works it self out. You game plan for the one that's going to present itself more often. Especially if you don't think much of the guy throwing the ball..

Tussinman

Reaction score
I do wonder if how bad the Cowboys have been this year might work against him this year
Luckily for him Yanda retired and Brooks had season ending surgery. Those are the only 2 right guards that play anywhere close to his level and both play for a team that's hotter this year. Crazy thing is even with the o-line shuffle Martins pressures allowed and run block grade are on pace to be better this year than the previous 2 seasons