Jerry's Cowboys contract plans? 'We're gonna need a bigger boat'

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So, to the business of keeping intact this young core, core, led on offensive by quarterback Dak Prescott and running back Ezekiel Elliott, and led on defense by among others cornerback Byron Jones and defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence.

On the subject of Elliott’s future and whether he’d be a Cowboy for the “foreseeable future,” Jones replied, "Do we want Zeke in the foreseeable future on the Dallas Cowboys? The answer is yes. It’d be madness to think any differently." The Cowboys owner essentially said the same about Prescott, echoing his season-long stand on the franchise's commitment to the QB, saying he wants to retain Dak "in the short term and in the long term."

Neither of those players are immediate concerns, of course, as they are both under contract for 2019. So is Byron Jones. So is Amari Cooper. So is Tank Lawrence. But with an expected $51 million in cap room this spring, Dallas can be pre-emptive when it comes to the retention of this young standouts. (And yes, I'll argue, can also plot a way to lure free agent safety Earl Thomas away from the Seattle Seahawks, as I write here.) Additionally, an NFL team is always in the talent-acquisition business, so as Jones also noted, "This is a very talented group and I think we can get better. We might lose some players that our fans may have a concern about, but in general, we can upgrade from players getting better."

Jerry mentioned that in general the question of "Do you want to retain'' is kind of like asking if you want to retain Zack Martin, the All-Pro right guard -- the point being that of course a team wants to keep in its employ foundational young talent like that. So yes. The answer is "yes.''

"But, hell,'' joked Jones, the new owner of a 357-foot superyacht that features two helipads that he's named the "Bravo Eugenia'' (after his wife), "I (also) want a bigger boat!''

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...B1f1Y9pEl4eoDRgPs3czejqQsvRaGAJT6eALAGVmmyy0A