Jesse Holley: Wade Phillip was sabotaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

khiladi

Reaction score
The fact that Wade could let something like this go without his knowledge just shows he was never meant to be a head coach

Wade wanted to bring in Dan Reeves to oversee the offense and it was to the point it was about to happen, but obviously the Red-headed "genius" in alliance with Stephen Jones convinced Jerry otherwise last minute, even though it was about to happen. Jerry didn't let Wade touch the offense.

erod

Reaction score
Nothing new. It was obvious at the time Phillips was stabbed in the back.

How?

I'm sure Jason lacked Wade's complete lack of discipline and ho-hum approach. That's why nobody will hire him as a head coach. It's just like Troy's opinion of Switzer.

But to claim he sabotaged him is stupid. What did Jason do, tell the other team what play he was calling?

Holley is bitter because Garrett cut him.

CB61

Reaction score
You think? That might be stretching it a little bit? LOL

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't believe Garrett sabotaged Wade for several reasons. I'll stipulate that Holley (and Patrick Crayton) is telling the truth about a new playbook after Wade was fired.

1. Jason probably had to have Wade "approve" his playbook, as Jason respects the hierarchy of the coaching staff (which is clearly a detriment this year). Jason has talked about this many times (not the specifics of Wade getting fired, but respecting the hierarchy within the coaching staff). So when Wade was fired, he could run everything he wanted without Wade's sign off. Things weren't much better even if they were "different". They racked up some points and yards against some bad defenses. I mean, Tashard Choice (!) had a 100 yard game vs. Indy (Felix had 83 in the same game).
2. How does Garrett sabotage a defense that had given up?
3. How did Garrett sabotage Romo getting his collar broken?
4. In Wade's last 5 games, the Cowboys scored 27, 21, 35, 17, 7. The defense gave up 34, 24, 41, 35, 45. That's on Jason how?
5. Jason Garrett is a day2day, "follow the process" type dude that doesn't seem to have any long game in him other than the ability to evaluate offensive talent. He's not the "If I sabotage Wade, I'll get the HC gig" type of thinker. He's too thickheaded.

Garrett has always been a mediocre coach that needed healthy, elite talent to win.

The irony is that his best coaching was probably those last 7 games of 2010 where he went 4-3 with a back-up QB. Usually with a back-up QB Garrett is awful and conservative (not including 2016 which was a different case as they had Peak Zeke, Peak OL play and WRs at their Peak as well). With nothing to play for in 2010's last 7 games, the Cowboys offense was very, very productive with a back-up QB.

Bye, Garrett. Your mediocrity and stubbornness won't be missed.

How is it on Garrett? Did you look at the offense's TO numbers in 7 games, with Garrett constantly handing the ball back to the opposition?

Kaiser

Reaction score
I will say that perception is also reality. If some of the players on the team truly believed it to be happening. It has a negative impact regardless.

Mehh. There are guys like Amari and Frederick on this team that clearly are very bright guys. But Hatcher strikes me as a guy that is still waiting in his wire transfer from that Nigerian Prince email. I could be wrong, I've never met the guy. But no one else on the team has ever said anything like this and Hatcher has made other dumb statements in the past.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Can he prove his accusation? Did he hear Jason say this? Did Jason call bad plays on purpose?

You have to be hammer stupid to buy that.

Jesse is pulling this out of thin air. He's a clown.

he said he BELIEVED Garrett sabotaged wade based on getting a whole new playbook after wade was fired.

BELIEVED.

you may want to work on reading comprehension before you call others stupid.

And he does know that he got a new playbook when Wade was fired. Obviously since he was the one who got it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New coach, new playbook. Not seeing a conspiracy there. Perhaps Wade desired a different style of play from the offense. He was the HC after all.
HC's from the D side can be very conservative. And HC's with gunslinger QB's can be even more so.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Jesse Holley was on the team. He said that they literally got a brand new playbook after Wade was fired.
It looked like the same vertical passing he likes to do. 2010 Cowboys were pass happy before and after the firing. The only difference like i said was that Dez was featured more.

Now a playbook was probably given because Wade probably liked certain Garrett plays that he felt will help win games and rejected the rest.
However, all i see is Wade's defense plus Romo injury equals players giving up on the HC not a sabotage by the OC.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Garrett kept his bland playbook a secret and used a more bland playbook under Wade?

Cool.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
The offense wasn't good in 2009.

It was the same as every other season under JG - good when the talent was better than the opponent, and abysmal otherwise.
In 09 they ran the ball with balance playcalling. In 2010, they were pass happy and in a way just neglected running the football.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
he said he BELIEVED Garrett sabotaged wade based on getting a whole new playbook after wade was fired.

BELIEVED.

you may want to work on reading comprehension before you call others stupid.

And he does know that he got a new playbook when Wade was fired. Obviously since he was the one who got it.
So, how does that constitute sabotage? Is that not just a coach who wants to run a different style of offense than the previous head coach?

You don't say something like this publicly unless you have proof.

CB61

Reaction score
Well to be honest Jesse Holley probably has an axe to grind too because he was sabatoged as well lol !

CB61

Reaction score
I seriously don't know how they ran anything different after Wade Phillips left it was Jason Garrett's offense when Wade Phillips was there? Unless Wade made tweaks to it? Which I kind of highly doubt since he is defensive coach

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
there is not doubt in my mind that the sleazy Jason garrett back stabbed wade phillips if they would of hired the offensive coaches wade wanted and gotten rid of garrett wade would of had a lot of success but in the end it hasn't helped garrett at all garrett is getting exactly what he so well deserves

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
New coach, new playbook. Not seeing a conspiracy there. Perhaps Wade desired a different style of play from the offense. He was the HC after all.

There are things as a coordinator that you do differently than as head coach because you are conforming to what your head coach asks of you. We can see that from how Linehan called plays here. I think we're not seeing the full extent of how Moore would operate this offense either. Make Moore the head coach, and you might see a whole new playbook, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.