JFowler: on the RB position after visiting training camp this week

RonWashington

Reaction score
Other than Dowdle the rest of the running game against LA was invisible . Lance was the leading rusher .

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I’d be interested in Sanders. He could fit that Tony Pollard role well. But if he’s cut then there’s a good chance he ends up somewhere else. Offer a late round pick and let’s get him in camp now.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
How would we know, it's not like he's going to play in the pre season, I agree with what you're saying, it shouldn't be a lock that he makes the team. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him be cut, father time has caught up, he doesn't add anything to this offense except a few tough yards
I think the fact that he did not play indicates that, like the others who did not play, his spot is secured. Maybe if he had played poorly in the scrimmage that would not be the case. But he seemed to have a good scrimmage performance, other than a fumble.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the fact that he did not play indicates that, like the others who did not play, his spot is secured. Maybe if he had played poorly in the scrimmage that would not be the case. But he seemed to have a good scrimmage performance, other than a fumble.
yeah what does he have to prove by playing in the pre season anyways

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Looking like Zeke may have to fight for a roster spot. Freeman and Rico look like locks. Last spot will probably come down to Deuce vs Zeke. I’m thinking Deuce goes to PS.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
yeah what does he have to prove by playing in the pre season anyways
They are treating him like the de facto starter. I'm not sure he deserves that at this point, but there's absolutely no reason to think his spot is in jeopardy when they choose to sit him in the preseason with the other starters. I think that's more wishful thinking on some fans' part.

I wish Freeman and Vaughn had been healthy, though, so we could at least see some other backs that may be part of the RB by committee.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This feels very accurate. Dallas has basically been patient and kept its powder dry at RB.
If Freeman is banged up they have a spot and could sell a great opportunity in a good Dallas offense for a back wanting a 1-year deal to reset their market.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If goodish players are available for super cheap Dallas is likely interested.
That maxim is the easiest one to believe in.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why? Did you actually see him play last year or are you just going off the name? The Panthers paid big money for him and he lost his job to Hubbard.

I've been hearing good things about Dowdle. They like him and he's apparently been looking good.
We’re hearing good things about our RBs from the very people that got us into this 28 year playoff drought.

No disrespect intended at all to you CR, but I’m not going to trust what the carnival barker that has sold us people like Chad Hutchinson, Brandon Weeden, and Jaylon Smith says about any player.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We’re hearing good things about our RBs from the very people that got us into this 28 year playoff drought.

No disrespect intended at all to you CR, but I’m not going to trust what the carnival barker that has sold us people like Chad Hutchinson, Brandon Weeden, and Jaylon Smith says about any player.
I don't even bother listening to Jerry's evaluation of any player. Not sure I ever have.. but I trust my own eyes.. During the joint practice Zeke had a couple of house calls where he hit the hole at 100 mph, stuck his foot in the ground and housed it. On one of them the safety MIGHT have been able to get him to the ground but I refuse to classify guys coming up and two hand touching from the side as having made a "tackle." Even if they did get him down both were 20+ yard runs regardless. What those runs showed me was that if the line do dey job then Zeke will do his. I also liked what I saw from Rico but the obvious difference between he and Zeke will not show up until the bullets are flyin for real. Dowdle is certainly a step quicker but it will be interesting to see if he, like Pollard, gets dropped for TFLs when the line gets beat or if he is able to squeeze out a couple of yards anyway the way Zeke can. I don't think Rico is as fast as TP but he is probably a little bit stronger. The upshot of all this is that the Cowboys will have an effective Thunder and Lightning combo at RB this year and I think it's gonna work out just fine. Especially if Dak and the passing game continues to light people up. They're gonna see a lot of light boxes and with the road graders we have up front we should be able to take advantage.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't even bother listening to Jerry's evaluation of any player. Not sure I ever have.. but I trust my own eyes.. During the joint practice Zeke had a couple of house calls where he hit the hole at 100 mph, stuck his foot in the ground and housed it. On one of them the safety MIGHT have been able to get him to the ground but I refuse to classify guys coming up and two hand touching from the side as having made a "tackle." Even if they did get him down both were 20+ yard runs regardless. What those runs showed me was that if the line do dey job then Zeke will do his. I also liked what I saw from Rico but the obvious difference between he and Zeke will not show up until the bullets are flyin for real. Dowdle is certainly a step quicker but it will be interesting to see if he, like Pollard, gets dropped for TFLs when the line gets beat or if he is able to squeeze out a couple of yards anyway the way Zeke can. I don't think Rico is as fast as TP but he is probably a little bit stronger. The upshot of all this is that the Cowboys will have an effective Thunder and Lightning combo at RB this year and I think it's gonna work out just fine. Especially if Dak and the passing game continues to light people up. They're gonna see a lot of light boxes and with the road graders we have up front we should be able to take advantage.
Ronnie, I’ll believe it when it happens.

CowboysRule

Reaction score

I didn't hear it from the owner, but rather people observing camp. It doesn't mean he's going to go out and be all-pro but RB is one of the positions where you can excel even without being a high draft pick.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The running game was pathetic in the first Pre season game.

So we shall see.