Jim Nagy on this years Day 3

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
From back in January. Its fans have to keep in mind when talking about day 3 guys. Not alot of meat past probably 120

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I had heard this before - not a good sign when Dallas has so many holes to fill.

Quick Mock via PFN - with this in mind: Sure, unrealistic - but these were the trades offered :)

Trades:

Detroit trades up for Byron Murphy - 24/174 for 29/73
Ravens trade up to 29 - 29 for 30/113
Chiefs trade up to 30 - 30/216 for 32/95

32. Graham Barton - G
56. Braden Fiske - DT
73. Jonathon Brooks - RB
87. Braelon Allen - RB
95. Jeremiah Trotter Jr - LB
113. Tanor Bortonlini - C
233. Dominique Hampton - S
244. Eric Watts - DE

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I had heard this before - not a good sign when Dallas has so many holes to fill.

Quick Mock via PFN - with this in mind: Sure, unrealistic - but these were the trades offered :)

Trades:

Detroit trades up for Byron Murphy - 24/174 for 29/73
Ravens trade up to 29 - 29 for 30/113
Chiefs trade up to 30 - 30/216 for 32/95

32. Graham Barton - G
56. Braden Fiske - DT
73. Jonathon Brooks - RB
87. Braelon Allen - RB
95. Jeremiah Trotter Jr - LB
113. Tanor Bortonlini - C
233. Dominique Hampton - S
244. Eric Watts - DE
You guys spend way too much time on those simulators. And you get too trade happy. I said in another thread, the Cowboys rarely trade down in the 1st. 3 times in 20 years. Dont build up your hopes that they are going to trade down. In your scenario, they are most likely going to just pick Murphy

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't think there's a huge gap in talent between a Round 5-7 pick and UDFA in most years.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think there's a huge gap in talent between a Round 5-7 pick and UDFA in most years.
I agree. I do wonder Nagy thinks of the likely UDFA pool. May be slim pickings there as well. If it is, luckily we still have alot of 2023 UDFA's still in the organization

rambo2

Reaction score
You guys spend way too much time on those simulators. And you get too trade happy. I said in another thread, the Cowboys rarely trade down in the 1st. 3 times in 20 years. Dont build up your hopes that they are going to trade down. In your scenario, they are most likely going to just pick Murphy
The Bills, 49ers, and Chiefs may very well want to trade up to 24 to get somebody they want. The Bills for sure want a receiver. These teams may have a specific player they want like Thomas, Mitchell, Worthy, Coleman, or McConkey.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Bills, 49ers, and Chiefs may very well want to trade up to 24 to get somebody they want. The Bills for sure want a receiver. These teams may have a specific player they want like Thomas, Mitchell, Worthy, Coleman, or McConkey.
Doesnt mean we are trading with them. We turned the Chiefs down last year. Iirc they had trade offers in 2022 too. Could and would are very different here. Its a rarity. If you want to predict the Cowboys trading down in the 1st, history is very much against you. Again 3 times in 20 years

rambo2

Reaction score
Doesnt mean we are trading with them. We turned the Chiefs down last year. Iirc they had trade offers in 2022 too. Could and would are very different here. Its a rarity. If you want to predict the Cowboys trading down in the 1st, history is very much against you. Again 3 times in 20 years
History has nothing to do with it. They need another draft pick and could go either way. They have done it before and they very well could do it this year. It does line up as a possibility.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
History has nothing to do with it. They need another draft pick and could go either way. They have done it before and they very well could do it this year. It does line up as a possibility.
When talking probabilities, history has everything to do with it. Its very clear that trading down isnt a preference of theirs. Its not to say that it wont happen. Its just that its very unlikely. To think otherwise is convincing yourself that something you want to happen is likely

rambo2

Reaction score
When talking probabilities, history has everything to do with it. Its very clear that trading down isnt a preference of theirs. Its not to say that it wont happen. Its just that its very unlikely. To think otherwise is convincing yourself that something you want to happen is likely
Who cares? It is an option just like it was when they did it in the past. They clearly need another pick and there will be teams that want to trade up.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who cares? It is an option just like it was when they did it in the past. They clearly need another pick and there will be teams that want to trade up.
You care obviously because you responded to my post about the likelihood of us trading

All you are countering with is that its a possibility. Well of course it is. No one said differently. All the evidence we have shows how improbable it is. If you want to disregard that, thats on you

rambo2

Reaction score
You care obviously because you responded to my post about the likelihood of us trading

All you are countering with is that its a possibility. Well of course it is. No one said differently. All the evidence we have shows how improbable it is. If you want to disregard that, thats on you
I'd say it's about 30 percent that they trade back this year based on need and the draft board.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd say it's about 30 percent that they trade back this year based on need and the draft board.
So lets look at the that last two trades and see of we find a scenario.

2013: Weak first round. Deep between picks 33-120. Was one of the better moves by Dallas because trading down was thought to have been difficult, they managed to do that ended up getting a player who wound up being in the whole first round.

2021: They targeted the top CB's at 10, both got picked ahead of them. With the Eagles looking to jump NY for Smith, they had opportunity to move down and still get their target. No brainer. Especially with Fields there there was practically no risk someone jumped us for Parsons

Out of these two, 2021 seems the most likely where we would trade down again. I could see us trading of we locked in completely at OT and lose out on players they see as starting caliber LT's. If you told me to predict a trade down scenario, it would be them locking in on need again.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
If it falls apart after round 5 It might be a good year to target the rounds 2-4. They could trade down for a 2 and 3 and trade a 5/6 to move up to 4. So end up with:
two 2s
two 3s
two 4s

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Good thing we don't rely solely on the draft to guild our team in the offseason.

Carter

Reaction score
Cowboys are better in UDFA than drafting late round so who cares. We tend to fight starting caliber players in UDFA lol

Creeper

Reaction score
If you believe the pool of players is small, the the strategy is to trade up in rounds 2 and 3 to get players you feel have a better chance of playing as rookies. I am fine with staying with your first round spot, but in rounds 3 and 4, why not trade up if you see a player fall to a few spots above you? It is cheaper to trade up in round 3 and 4.

MikeT22

Reaction score
If you believe the pool of players is small, the the strategy is to trade up in rounds 2 and 3 to get players you feel have a better chance of playing as rookies. I am fine with staying with your first round spot, but in rounds 3 and 4, why not trade up if you see a player fall to a few spots above you? It is cheaper to trade up in round 3 and 4.
Well we don’t have a 4th. The idea is trading down a few spots in the first to gain an edge extra 3rd or 4th.

KC offered us a 3rd last year to move down from 26 to 31, but Jerry was afraid of losing Mazi or Bergeron. lol

Carter

Reaction score
We have to trade down this year if its not a second CD Lamb falling to us at 24.

We have to pick up another 3rd because if we want to grab an O-Liner we can probably still get one of the guys that are good 4-6 spots later as there will be plenty of options .

rambo2

Reaction score
We have to trade down this year if its not a second CD Lamb falling to us at 24.

We have to pick up another 3rd because if we want to grab an O-Liner we can probably still get one of the guys that are good 4-6 spots later as there will be plenty of options .
Brian Thomas Jr. Is your Lamb. Byron Murphy is a guy to consider