Jimmy Earned It

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He never intended to stay much beyond his tenure in Dallas. It is landlocked and he's a seafaring man.

The process was expedited when he had to be talked into coming into the war room by his DC because of Booger's need for attention and credit. That whole request for Johnson to look at him to send the message that it was actually Booger picking the players was beyond ridiculous. And he can't beg for respect from a coaching staff that has none for him and knows all the details.

Booger is a clown only he's not funny. His constant need for attention from the media and carrying the team along with him has made the team into something beyond a football team. No wonder they struggle, they become stars of the circus without really performing in the center ring.

Big Mike shouldn't have to worry about Booger getting in the way unless he starts off hot and then he will have to adjust that spotlight on himself.
The notion Jerry’s not going to meddle and undermine with Mike is naive.

The rest I’d agree with .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I get your point, but I think Jimmy is really just an outlier, and overall the integrity of the ROH is intact.
Teams ROH are over rated. They mean nothing but to those franchises and fans.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Actually he did intend it as a shot at Johnson. He said it right after he was snubbed for being the classless drunk that he is. What people don't seem to get is that wasn't the only thing this guy had done not to be liked by those people. That was just part of it.

It would have taken class to put Johnson in and Booger is devoid of class.
Right

Thats what fueled Jerry hiring Barry to demean Jimmy. Which back then the media was glorifying Jimmy as the only HC to win a championship at both levels. Barry’s win tarnished that achievement.

It wasn’t Jimmys fault the media and fans placed him on the higher pedestal. Jerry just couldn’t handle it. I guess he didn’t expect it. IDK.

Just couldn’t handle being a second fiddle I guess. This is what we have since as a result.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't know why that means they are over rated. After all, those franchises and fans are who they are for.
Didn’t mean the players over rated. Meant the significance of their induction.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn’t mean the players over rated. Meant the significance of their induction.
I know that's what you meant, but since the fans of that team are who they exist for, and the fans of that team are who discuss it, then who is overrating it? I don't think Cowboy fans are under the illusion the ROH means anything to non Cowboy fans.

dckid

Reaction score
I agree with this, but Jimmy's only occurred because of Jerry. Neither of these guys would be in the HOF without the other....that is undeniable since Jerry has stunk it up since Jimmy, and Jimmy stunk it up in Miami without Jerry.

I hear what you are saying and of course I give credit to Jerry for hiring Jimmy Johnson but that is exactly where it stops. Jimmy didn't win a SB in Miami because when he was hired Huiezenga told him you cannot bench/ trade Marino. He knew Marino was done in 1996 when he took over.

shabazz

Reaction score
MEANWHILE.... :lmao:
3m3088.jpg

That may be the funniest thing I've ever seen. Well done!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know that's what you meant, but since the fans of that team are who they exist for, and the fans of that team are who discuss it, then who is overrating it? I don't think Cowboy fans are under the illusion the ROH means anything to non Cowboy fans.
Exactly. I'm not gazing in awe at the names in anyone else's stadium.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure where you’re going with this but the point I was making is these ring of honors have no real significance beyond their own teams and fans unlike the HOF which is recognized by all.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. I'm not gazing in awe at the names in anyone else's stadium.
I take notice of certain players I admired or thought were great players - guys like Walter Payton, Earl Campbell, Reggie White, Dick Butkus etc - but that's the limit. I'm not discussing who is in or out with other teams, and don't care. That is for their fans to discuss.

ICP

Reaction score
I gotta say watching Jimmy get the news with Troy watching was to me, the best Cowboys moment since the last Super Bowl win. Heck, it might have even been better than that since Barry the Clown Switzer was coaching the last remains of Jimmies team to that win.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
They all have egos. As Aikman said, he went times in his life where he stopped speaking to Jimmy as well. Both Jerry and Jimmy couldn't swallow their pride. They could have been historically great together, and in a way they were, but it could have lasted longer.

khiladi

Reaction score
Anybody that says Jimmy earned himself out of the ROH is insane. The ROH wasn’t conceived by Jerry Jones, it originated in 1975. It’s a DC honor, not a Jerry Jones, “kiss his butt” honor.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I gotta say watching Jimmy get the news with Troy watching was to me, the best Cowboys moment since the last Super Bowl win. Heck, it might have even been better than that since Barry the Clown Switzer was coaching the last remains of Jimmies team to that win.
I agree . Can’t think of a better moment for Cowboys history in last couple decades.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying and of course I give credit to Jerry for hiring Jimmy Johnson but that is exactly where it stops. Jimmy didn't win a SB in Miami because when he was hired Huiezenga told him you cannot bench/ trade Marino. He knew Marino was done in 1996 when he took over.
JImmy couldn't even rebuild Miami. If he had to have a HOF QB to even win games, how does that make him a HOF coach? All I'm saying is it was the perfect storm in Dallas. He and Jerry needed each other. It was more than hiring. It was Jerry challenging Jimmy, being willing to bring in certain players and make certain deals. If you don't think Jerry had a hand in the Hershall Walker deal or bringing Haley to Dallas, you're dreaming. Jimmy did not have the authority to make deals. Ultimately, Jerry had to be the type of owner/gm willing to take chances and agree with what was presented, and then he had to make the deals happen on paper.

Jimmy didn't actually do any coaching, but he was great at bringing the right people together and pushing the right buttons on players. However, even Jimmy knew that he couldn't stay in Dallas and that it wasn't just because of Jerry. He knew that his style would only work with players for a short time before they'd tune him out or get burned out. That's why he fashioned himself as a gypsy coach.

Jimmy deserves the HOF, but he never smells it without Jerry as his boss and owner/gm of the Cowboys....and probably not without Minnesota and Hershall Walker and Charles Haley.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Jimmy did not "stink it up in Miami". He built Miami into the #1 defense in the league. He was finding guys like Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor on draft day at a time Jerry couldn't find anything. Jimmy's problem in Miami was with a past his prime Marino who couldn't win no matter who coached. Jimmy's owes Jerry for giving him the opportunity to coach and run the the football operations. Would Jimmy have had success if another team had given him a shot in 1989? I wouldn't bet against it. Or, maybe he would have stayed at Miami and been the Nick Saban of his era.
The coach's job is to win games. Jimmy couldn't make it happen in Miami. Where were the genius trades to get a QB if that was the problem? He was a great and worthy HOF coach because of the wheeling and dealing and pushing players' buttons. He didn't actually coach any particular part of the teams he was in charge of.