Jimmy Johnson Inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Honor

Motorola

Reaction score
Next up will be the City of Port Arthur giving him the key and having Jimmy Johnson Day. Jerry still stubbornly with his arms folded. That old man sure does hold a grudge...... and jealous of what Jimmy did that he cannot duplicate.
There already is a Jimmy Johnson Boulevard in the city.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Next up will be the City of Port Arthur giving him the key and having Jimmy Johnson Day. Jerry still stubbornly with his arms folded. That old man sure does hold a grudge...... and jealous of what Jimmy did that he cannot duplicate.
Jimmy Johnson will eventually get into the Ring of Honor and you guys are just ridiculous with how much longer has he been gone from Miami and just now made it into their Ring of Honor or whatever they're calling it somehow Jerry's being chastised for waiting till he's comfortable doing it but he will do it yet these guys took longer he's been gone from Miami much much longer...

You all are fascinating in a bad way thinking this should be done on your terms on your time frame not the man who actually owns the team it's priceless the more the media and people push Jerry the more he is gonna push back and people would just STHU he probably would have done it already, he has every right to do it on his own time frame and I believe he will do it I believe he wants to do it but he wants to do it in his own manner

Kingofholland

Reaction score

So Jimmy waited 35 years after he last coached the Hurricanes? To me that makes the situation look a little better not being in the ring of honor yet for the Cowboys rather than using it against criticism for Jerry Jones.

I still think he's overdue into the Cowboys and should eventually happen.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GettyImages-1613127169.jpg
My man!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No self respecting boss would be OK with an employee making fun of him to another group. I wouldn't.....would any of you?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Jimmy waited 35 years after he last coached the Hurricanes?
The University of Miami administration waited 35 years. Two notables:
  • created in 1997
  • ...selection of UM’s Ring of Honor members is determined by the director of athletics and head football coach, in conjunction with an anonymous advisory committee.
  • Criteria used in the selection process include athletic achievements at UM and at the professional level, commitment and loyalty to the continued success of the university and its athletic department and a personal commitment to courage, fortitude, honesty and integrity.
Link

On the other hand, the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame and Museum physically exists on the university campus. A few notables concerning this particular Hall:
  • ...was formed in 1966. The actual building opened in 1989.
  • ...honor(s) the finest student-athletes, coaches, and administrators that have represented the University.
  • an independent, Florida Not-for-Profit 501(C)(3) entity
  • Student-athlete candidates are eligible ten (10) years after their final year of competition, while coaches and administrators are eligible after serving at the university for ten (10) years.
  • ...is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, overseen by a Board of Voting Members,
Link

This second group, separate from the university administration, with clear (not arbitrary) eligibility language, inducted Johnson during his first year of eligibility, in 1996--the year before the Ring was established.

It should be noted that the university's administration, in particular President Edward Foote II, had a highly contentious relationship with both Johnson and Dennis Erickson, who was another national championship head coach for the Hurricanes and was no angel like Johnson. To refresh some older memories and inform some younger ones of the friction between administration and its football program, this Sports Illustrated article from 1995 and Miami Hurricane Herald newspaper from 1989, should help:

SI Link
MHH Link

UM administration made Erickson wait too.

It is kinda funny reading the MHH writer's personal feelings of Johnson's departure too. "I will not miss Jimmy Johnson. Never got along with him very well." He may have been a member of that UM anonymous advisory committee. lol.