Jimmy Johnson is not a HOF Coach

kskboys

Reaction score
I probably went too far on the definitely with Levy. But the 90s Bills get all sorts of either love or sympathy from sports writers who make them out to be better than they were.
A team makes 4 super bowls in a row, and you're thinking they're overpraised? My stars, never heard that one before!!!

And if James Washington doesn't make 2 game changing plays, they might've beat us in one. Would you then think they were great?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A team makes 4 super bowls in a row, and you're thinking they're overpraised? My stars, never heard that one before!!!

And if James Washington doesn't make 2 game changing plays, they might've beat us in one. Would you then think they were great?
Not to mention the Norwood missed kick in their 1st SB vs NY.

That was a very talented team. One of the best Dynasties to not win a championship like the 70’s Vikings.

Last edited:

CoachD

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson brought the Cowboys back when he took over but remember when Barry Switzer took over and won a Superbowl and everyone said that he won that Superbowl with Jimmy's players well I got news for ya Jimmy won two super bowls with a lot of Tom Landry players too. Here they are......

Offense:
Mark Tuinei-Pro Bowler
Nate Newton-Pro Bowler
Micheal Irvin-Pro Bowler Hall of Fame
Mike Saxon
Kevin Gogan

Defense:
Jim Jeffcoat-Pro Bowler
Bill Bates-Pro Bowler
Ken Norton-Pro Bowler

Yup I'd say that's a pretty good group to start with!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Hard for me to decide. Yes the two SBs speak well for him, hard to win SBs.

But the Walker trade gave him so much talent so quickly, how much of the success was Jimmy and how much was sheer talent?

A chicken or the egg question, like Brady/Belichick, was it one or the other, or both together that was largely responsible for the long term success? If Brady leaves and Bill wins like he did before, we'll know, but who knows how long Bill will coach?

I'd lean towards he's a HOF coach, but the short success time span is a concern...

ghst187

Reaction score
Easily one of the best coaches of all time....
Take Jerry out of the picture jimmy might’ve won 5 in a row...

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson brought the Cowboys back when he took over but remember when Barry Switzer took over and won a Superbowl and everyone said that he won that Superbowl with Jimmy's players well I got news for ya Jimmy won two super bowls with a lot of Tom Landry players too. Here they are......

Offense:
Mark Tuinei-Pro Bowler
Nate Newton-Pro Bowler
Mike Saxon
Kevin Gogan

Defense:
Jim Jeffcoat-Pro Bowler
Bill Bates-Pro Bowler
Ken Norton-Pro Bowler

That holds true for other NFL head coaches as well. Big example is Mike Ditka, he won with a lot of players drafted shortly before he got to the Bears HC job, like Payton, Singletary, Hampton, Suhey, Fencik and Wilson. But nobody says "he won with Armstrong's players".

eromeopolk

Reaction score
As much as I love the Cowboys and the 90's Cowboys, I don't think Jimmy is deserving of being in the HOF.
His career was not long enough to establish that he was worthy of that honor.
He definitely deserves to be in the Cowboys Ring of Honor but not the HOF
You are right. He is a Hall of Fame GM and Head Coach. The only other is Bill Belichick. Kraft did not fire him after back to back Super Bowls.

Big_D

Reaction score

Offense:
Mark Tuinei-Pro Bowler
Nate Newton-Pro Bowler
Mike Saxon
Kevin Gogan

Defense:
Jim Jeffcoat-Pro Bowler
Bill Bates-Pro Bowler
Ken Norton-Pro Bowler

Except those players never actually won anything before Johnson got here. And only Bill Bates been to a Pro Bowl pre Johnson and Jeffcoat never made the pro bowl. I'd say that's a big difference from what Switzer had to work with.

Tuinei-89 was the first year he played a full 16. Didn't make the Pro Bowl until 94.

Newton made his first Pro Bowl in 92

Irvin didn't play a full season or make his first Pro Bowl until 91

Gogan didn't make his first pro bowl until 94

Norton didn't make his first pro bowl until 93.

Good players after the fact, not good players before Johnson got here except for Jeffcoat, Bates and Norton

Last edited:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Why, shore. I'm sure Patton was also a terrible general and Neil Armstrong was really an awful astronaut,but just got to the moon by luck.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
As much as I love the Cowboys and the 90's Cowboys, I don't think Jimmy is deserving of being in the HOF.
His career was not long enough to establish that he was worthy of that honor.
He definitely deserves to be in the Cowboys Ring of Honor but not the HOF
dumbest comment ever after Dak deserves the money.