Jimmy Johnson to this day could out-scheme any offense

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay Jerry. Jimmy just laid out for you what to look for in players.

1. Intelligence - Jimmy wanted smart players
2. Playmakers - Jimmy didn't care about about how many tackles a guy made. He wanted guys who made plays and impacted the game . Strips, INTS, TDs ect
3. Gym Rat. He wanted guys who lived and breathed football and loved competing. He wanted passionate hard workers.
4. Character - "because you can't win with bums".

DFWJC

Reaction score
Listen to our Coach. Even Belichick says Jimmy's secondary scheme could bewilder today's offense.

Jerry should be ashamed that he let this brain trust out his building.

Couldn't force him to stay

Amarillofan82

Reaction score
Bless the man named Jimmy Johnson!

We had the "it" factor. The guy to build a decade long dynasty. The pieces were in place, the stars looked down on us from that amazing hold that is the original Dallas Stadium.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Listen to our Coach. Even Belichick says Jimmy's secondary scheme could bewilder today's offense.

So what happened with him for the Dolphins? I forget if he had personnel control. He had an aging Marino. But his final game was a 63-7 or something like that loss to Jacksonville.

Good point. Jimmy Johnson was a great head coach for the Cowboys, but let's not ratchet up his pedestal even more. He was head coach and general manager for the Dolphins for 4 seasons and didn't advance his team very far in the post season with a 2-3 record.

So exactly how much defensive bewildering was there against the Jaguars who beat the Dolphins 62-7 in Johnson's final season and game that caused him to quit coaching? As far as Jerry goes being ashamed, Jimmy Johnson wasn't going to be a career long head coach for the Cowboys even if Jerry kissed his feet every day. Jimmy reminds me of Parcells; they beat by their own drum and don't stay long with any team. You are lucky to have them for the years they coach for you.

pansophy

Reaction score
Good point. Jimmy Johnson was a great head coach for the Cowboys, but let's not ratchet up his pedestal even more. He was head coach and general manager for the Dolphins for 4 seasons and didn't advance his team very far in the post season with a 2-3 record.

So exactly how much defensive bewildering was there against the Jaguars who beat the Dolphins 62-7 in Johnson's final season and game that caused him to quit coaching? As far as Jerry goes being ashamed, Jimmy Johnson wasn't going to be a career long head coach for the Cowboys even if Jerry kissed his feet every day. Jimmy reminds me of Parcells; they beat by their own drum and don't stay long with any team. You are lucky to have them for the years they coach for you.
Exactly. We might have won 4 super bowls with Jimmy, so not denying his talents as a coach. But he is still just one cog in the wheel for a team to come together. It wasn't enough magic to put Miami back on the map.

Super Bowls are elusive because you really have to have things work out at every level. For all the magic of Brees and Rogers, they only have 1 super bowl each. Even Brady and Belichick apparently need video of the other teams game plan in order to get the necessary advantage to win repeatedly, though I do think Belicheck has the right formula for the salary cap era.

Swanny

Reaction score
I like be me some Jimmy Johnson and I do think he deserves the HOF but if he was so great why did he tank in Miami with a pretty good roster. If he could out scheme any offense why did it not work in Miami?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Did Jerry sabotage Jimmy in Miami ?

Because, well, all i read is that it's all Jerry's fault . Everything is .

ItzKelz

Reaction score
goodolddays.jpg

NickZepp

Reaction score
So what happened with him for the Dolphins? I forget if he had personnel control. He had an aging Marino. But his final game was a 63-7 or something like that loss to Jacksonville.
96 he had Terrell Buckley who was a pretty solid CB for a decade. He had over 50 INTs but never made a pro bowl. That has to be the only person in NFL history to have that happen
Louis Oliver was a solid hand at DB for about 7 or 8 years but nothing great.

1998-99 Sam Madison and Buckley were two really top of the line corners. Brock Marion was added as a safety. He would have his best years in Miami after Johnson left. They also had Patrick Surtain who was a good corner around this time.

Pass defense stats

1996 24th in pass defense 29th in TDs
1997 25th in pass defense 18th in TDs
1998 6th in pass defense 3rd in TDs
1999 5th in pass defense 7th in TDs

So they got better but they had some decent talent.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jimmy did not scheme anything, he let his very good coaching staff do that.
Jimmy was great but some fans have a short memory, or heck many was too young to remember. Jimmy was just as lucky as he was good in the draft. As well as some trades. Some of the best players he got was from failed trades. Like Emmitt. He tried to trade up twice for a LB, then settled for Emmitt basically.

As also posted. Jimmy wanted out and even said as much, he wanted the start up Jaquars coaching gig.
Heck before that he wanted the Dolphins job, as he never wanted to leave Florida.
I was living in South FL at the time, he wanted to take over for Shula. But the extended his contract, so he took the job with Dallas. The Jaguars were named a team, so he wanted that job to get back to FL.

He never stayed anywhere longer than 5 years. He was ready to move on. And pushed Jerry's buttons to make it happen.