JJ: Martin over Manziel best call in 15 years

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Jerry Jones: Zack Martin over Johnny Manziel might be Cowboys’ best draft call in 15 years

Jones appeared on ESPN’s NFL Insiders on Wednesday and was asked how happy he was about drafting Zack Martin 16th overall in last May’s draft.

“Really we had Manziel and we had Zack Martin,” Jones said. “We really couldn’t have known the quality of the player that Zack Martin is. It’s just been so much more than we could’ve expected and he had a very significant career at Notre Dame.

“We certainly needed — I should be looking at the future after Romo. But I decided right there the future after Romo is too far down the road when he won’t be our quarterback to be developing a quarterback like Manziel during these next few years. It just didn’t work time wise, so we had to settle on that pick, Martin, which may be one of the best if not best pick we’ve made around here in the last 15 years.”
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...-be-the-best-pick-weve-made-in-15-years.html/

For those of you who don't know exactly what Jerry's referring to, he's clearly saying that this was the best move since he traded up in the first round to get Ebenezer Ekuban in 1999.

Reaction score
“We certainly needed — I should be looking at the future after Romo. But I decided right there the future after Romo is too far down the road when he won’t be our quarterback to be developing a quarterback like Manziel during these next few years. It just didn’t work time wise, so we had to settle on that pick, Martin, which may be one of the best if not best pick we’ve made around here in the last 15 years.”

He is certainly making it sound like he eventually rejected taking Manziel. But I thought it was Stephen and Clay who prectically forced him to make the switch?

It looks like Jerry is starting to spin what really happened on draft day.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Well at least he didn't say it was the Mo Claiborne trade....

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Jerry just does not get it.....develop manziel? Besides the fact Johnny is a pr nightmare....dude cannot play! And the running qb fad is Over ad quickly as it started

MagicMan

Reaction score

He is certainly making it sound like he eventually rejected taking Manziel. But I thought it was Stephen and Clay who prectically forced him to make the switch?

Naaah, Jed wouldn't do a thing like that??? Would he??? LOL, but yep, they took away his drink and forced him at gunpoint with the threat of exposing more pics that made him see it their way. And yes, jimnabby, Ebenezer Ekuban was a BEAST......not much of a DE, but a beast.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

You knew this was coming when he forbid anyone to speak about draft day at Valley Ranch.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Yep, said it in April - don't draft that dumb *** - would be a bad move. Some people here disagreed. It would have been lunacy and you know it

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
We traded UP to get Ekuban?? forgot about that...

:facepalm:

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Post triplett drafts

Worst draft calls
1. Not drafting Randy Moss
2. Not drafting Steven Jackson
3. Trading up to draft Claiborne
4. Trading up to draft Ekuban
5. Drafting Bobby Carpenter

Honorable mention: Drafting Quincy Carter in the 2nd round

Best Draft calls
1. Drafting Zack Martin
2. Trading up to draft Dez Bryant
3. Drafting Ware before Spears
4. Drafting Witten in the 3rd round
5. Trade down to get Frederick and Williams

Honorable mention: Drafting DeMarco Murray in the 3rd round

I'm probably forgetting something.

lothos05

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Post triplett drafts

Worst draft calls

Best Draft calls
1. Drafting Zack Martin
2. Trading up to draft Dez Bryant
3. Drafting Ware before Spears
4. Drafting Witten in the 3rd round
5. Trade down to get Frederick and Williams

Honorable mention: Drafting DeMarco Murray in the 3rd round

I'm probably forgetting something.

Best Draft Calls Honorable mention #2 . . . Drafting Anthony Hitchens in Round 4.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
the more he keeps talking about Manziel the dumber he sounds..... he still doesnt get it.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Post triplett drafts

Worst draft calls

Best Draft calls
1. Drafting Zack Martin