Twitter: JJT Game Observations

JBS

Reaction score
DL situation in my opinion is the biggest worry..bigger than the OL..not enough pass rushers to make this defense work...

Reaction score
One thing I noticed is that, other than the holding on the horribly blown TE screen, the first team O didn't have bad penalties. I know the false starts started about half way through, but nice to see the line not getting jumpy and drives stalling because of it.

coult44

Reaction score
How the HECK do you run the ball with 2 guards that should be on the practice squad if any squad at all...If we don't come up with a rabbit in the hat trick or something, things could get frustrating really fast.

Zordon

Reaction score
DL situation in my opinion is the biggest worry..bigger than the OL..not enough pass rushers to make this defense work...

Can't really judge them yet when you're missing two important pieces (Spencer and Rat).

JBS

Reaction score
Can't really judge them yet when you're missing two important pieces (Spencer and Rat).

Of course I can. Bc I know Ratliff won't be playing for long. Throw in a healthy and dominant spencer and we still don't have enough pressure players.

See how easy that is?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Turnovers were good in the first two games, but things got out of hand quickly in this one. I don't see it as a problem going forward, and to JJT's credit, he did say he thought it was more of a fluke than a real problem. As a matter of fact, I kind of thought yesterdays game was a bit fortuitous in that the team had pretty good execution and played well in many, many areas, but because of the turnovers, it gives the coaching staff plenty to bang on the team about in their first week back in Dallas.

They did a whole lot right as a team, but instead of feeling too good about themselves, they will be nose to the grindstone getting ready for the dress rehearsal.

DFWJC

Reaction score
With the starting offense having scored so little thus far, you'd yhink someone needed meds to say they look explosive.
But I agree.
They look like they may really attack people this year.

Next week will be the 1st one were they game plan.
Should be interesting.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
We hear that preseason doesn't count and that scheming is vanilla. All this is true. But it's also true that, over the past few years, the preseason has offered an accurate preview of the Cowboys during the regular season. In other words, what the Cowboys have looked liked in preseason has been exactly what they've looked like once the regular season starts.

That's why I'm hoping they iron out their scoring issues. They're running up and down the field at will, but they aren't scoring. They have one more game to get it right.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
One game does not singly predictive how well Tanney may do. However, he showed me enough that I would give him some time to develop. And that is at least thru this year if not thru the next. QBs don't grow on trees and generally cost you a high pick or worse having to trade up. So not saying this guy is going to be elite or even just a starter. I'm saying he earned a look. Of course the club may know something we're not going to see and that could cloud the issue. If he has the talent we saw last night then they are not going to shelve this guy and letting him go without a very thorough evaluation would be a mistake IMO.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
We hear that preseason doesn't count and that scheming is vanilla. All this is true. But it's also true that, over the past few years, the preseason has offered an accurate preview of the Cowboys during the regular season. In other words, what the Cowboys have looked liked in preseason has been exactly what they've looked like once the regular season starts.

That's why I'm hoping they iron out their scoring issues. They're running up and down the field at will, but they aren't scoring. They have one more game to get it right.

Very true. We would be fools to ignore that.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Dude, I think you're way, way off. This is an offense that can move the ball really effectively. The only interesting question is whether or not we're going to be more productive in the red zone finally.

Cosign. JJT is the ultimate uninformed casual fan, sprinkled in with some genuine cowboy hate.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
We hear that preseason doesn't count and that scheming is vanilla. All this is true. But it's also true that, over the past few years, the preseason has offered an accurate preview of the ......

Valid point about moving the ball but redzone in-adequacy.
In the redzone more often than not gimmicks fail, plain old beating your man, plus downhill running is needed to move the ball or set play action . If the opponents don't respect our running game this is is not happening.

Got to Hope we would sort the OL interior woes soon, we are not getting any breaks....

Bern is my concern , he looks Tarzan but plays like Jane , lol

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
There was a play that Dallas needs to trash forever from the playbook. Tyron was supposed to slide block either Campbell or Dockett lined up inside of LG's nose. Fred and LG had to slide right and a pulling TE was supposed to pull and seal the DT for some sort of screen play.

result=terrible

the DT went untouched. Maybe it was just me, but there is no way Tyron can slide two holes to block and there is no way a TE can slide 3 holes from the other side and block the DT on a screen. Maybe it was just a botched protection, but they are lucky Romo didn't get killed.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the running game. For it to struggle, you have to make the attempt. We were in the shotgun most of the time with Romo.

I agree. Never attempted to get it going.

Kyle should give back 4.9 million. He was stupid yesterday.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Valid point about moving the ball but redzone in-adequacy.
In the redzone more often than not gimmicks fail, plain old beating your man, plus downhill running is needed to move the ball or set play action . If the opponents don't respect our running game this is is not happening.

Got to Hope we would sort the OL interior woes soon, we are not getting any breaks....

Bern is my concern , he looks Tarzan but plays like Jane , lol

You have it exactly right. The redzone is where you determine if you're actually better than the opposing defense. Any offensive coordinator can come up with schemes to move the ball in the middle of the field, but it doesn't mean diddly once you get to the redzone. Last year, we were obviously not better than the defenses we were up against. And this is definitely an area of concern so far this preseason. Redzone efficiency determines whether you win or lose ball games. It's really that simple.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2) 6 turnovers is a joke, but I view them overall as an aberration
This is only true because you don't often see 6 turnovers in a game by any team. That said, some of those fumbles were not an "aberration" as they were the result of carelessness or not protecting the ball well enough from a ball hawking team.
3) The running game is struggling
Agree and disagree. On some plays we look solid, while on others it's a repeat of past years.
6) Lance Dunbar will be weapon in passing game
I agree with this. We've needed a running back like him for the passing game for a while.
10) Romo seems to have Witten-like trust in Dez
You can tell they've worked hard to get on the same page.

/reality