JJT: Whispers From the Star - 3/6/2020

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Not a whole lot of new information in today's segment. I imagine things will heat up when free agency begins here in a few weeks, but in any event - here is what was discussed:

1. JJT reached out to four sources with the team and asked about Rod Marinelli, or specifically, did he have "too much juice" within the organization? Says that the scouting department has tried to over rule his philosophy several times by getting bigger with run stuffers on the interior DL, but Rod was set in his ways and would rather have run stuffing pass rushers (i.e. another Warren Sapp). JJT mentioned that Rod had a lot of clout and respect within the building because of his tenured coaching career and experience (like that 0-16 Lions season :rolleyes:), but stated that the real problem the FO had with him was that he fell in and out of love with players. He was quick to fall in love with guys like Trysten Hill and Taco Charlton, but once you get in Rod's dog house, you never get out of it. "Rod will love you one minute, and hate you forever." In other words, he would be enamored with them in April, but by October, he'd be finished with them. In my opinion, that is not a good leader.

2. The more and more we learn about Marinelli's personality, the more we more or less understand what went wrong with Taco. He found himself in the dog house with Hot Rod, and could never get out of it. Nothing Taco did was ever good enough. To me, this really brings into focus that picture he tweeted a few years ago of John Thompson and Allen Iverson. I believe the caption was "every athlete needs a coach that believes in them." In summation, Rod's personality negatively affected the development of two DL that we invested premium draft capital in. JJT doesn't think this current regime will ever give any coach that much "juice" again and will instead lean on the people that they pay to scout.

3. Trysten Hill is reportedly a weird guy. Not weird like Amari. Amari is just quiet. Amari likes hanging with his nieces and nephews, he likes boutique shopping, he likes playing chess, and a few other things. Trysten Hill, by all accounts, is a loner. JJT mentions that being that type of person can work for you in sports like baseball and basketball because there is a lot of emphasis on individual play. In football, where it's team oriented from the top to the bottom, it can create some issues for you, and it certainly can affect the way your teammates view you.

4. JJT mentioned a conversation he had with Will McClay. Most of what he mentioned was just him rambling and trying to sneak in a few one liners, but one thing that did stand out to me was when he asked Will if he's ever "fallen in love" at the combine. He mentioned that McClay always values the tape over the measurables. When they assign grades to players, they look for the measurables that match the tape. Not really compelling, Earth-shattering information, but again, it's what was discussed.

And that's all folks!

https://www.kesn1033.com/2020/03/06/jam-whispers-from-the-star-offseason-pt-10/

817Gill

Reaction score
The Jason Garrett tenure could become the era that made Jerry change his ways enough for the team to win. So many backwards strategic decisions and a chain of command that gave power to the wrong position coaches. I think JJ learned alot of lessons from the Garrett era, lessons he didn't learn with Campo and Gailey. It took 10 years of ineptitude but Jerry doesn't learn his lesson easy

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Trysten Hill will be obliged to get along better with the new staff if he's ever able to crack the starting lineup or as a valued backup, for that matter. Yes, he's a loner and probably not the easiest individual to influence in a positive manner. He seems destined to be difficult and that's not ideal, in any sense of the word. Here's hoping the new staff finds a way to appeal to his better side; otherwise it seems it might be a rough road. Good luck with that. He's had his problems in college and apparently, it's much the same in the pros. He'd better get his head straight or continue to linger in less than mediocrity.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I kinda figured it was something like that with Rod. The aftermath of that disaster is, Taco did nothing for us and is now gone and we are left with T. Hill who may meet the same fate. New DC Nolan has to try to get Hill to be the dog we hoped he could be rather than a puppy.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Taco sucked whenever he got on the field, so I don't know how much of that was Marinelli and how much of that was just him being a crappy player. He had a flurry of fluky sacks in Miami and then wound up on riding the bench there for one of the worst DLs in football.

And for claiming Marinelli is in and out on players - I don't know how much I see that. DLaw got consistent snaps whenever he was healthy, Maliek Collins got a bunch of reps even when he was injured, Crawford kept getting utilized, we stuck with Antwaun Woods through good and bad... I understand that there's 10 DLs on the roster and even more on the practice squad, and the DL coach works with a lot more guys besides the starters that we don't see. But his regulars have been pretty darn consistent over the last couple years.

Rayman70

Reaction score
ITS ALL CHATTER. Nothing matters until free agency starts. Then maybe we can learn what this team might become. I don't care about the failings of the past regime. Its well documented and understood. Lets look ahead and get better. Here is what everyone with a pulse knows. We sucked badly on the dline all year. We stunk at the linebacker position..enough to a point we let Sam Darnold and the Jets screen us to death. Couldn't cover a soul. Lastly, safety position...its pretty sub par.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I call BS. Rod was a position coach mostly last year. I am sure his input was valued and I am sure he preferred certain type of defensive lineman, but that doesn't mean your scouting staff has to draft stiffs. If a position coach is controlling that much of your draft, that speaks volumes of your organization. Maybe Rod is way past his prime but he did have quite a bit of success in the NFL.

The lack of draft success the past three years is why this team is probably not a contender next year and needs to really hit a homerun the next two drafts to home to make another run imo.