Recap: JJT: Whispers From The Star 6/12

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Okay, folks. I'm back and ready to recap yesterday's segment. I apologize for the delay. Tis the season for hours of yardwork, grilling, chilling on the lake, and beers by the pool!

Let's go:

1. Mike McCarthy is back in town and had at least one Zoom call with the team last week that JJT knows of and gave a raw, impassioned message to the team, mainly discussing the current state of society and the George Floyd killing, and the aftermath that we are currently experiencing in the present days. Players seemed to take well to it. JJT noted that there are some teams like the Saints bringing in celebrities like Shaquille O'Neal and even Spike Lee to speak to the players, but Dallas is opting to keep things in house and personal amongst themselves. This did give JJT a chance to point out that no Dallas personnel has yet to go full Drew Brees and air out an unpopular opinion in the media on the matter for all teammates to hear. Pretty impressive stuff for the most visible sports team in the world. With the situation in New Orleans, Sean Payton is likely playing damage control with his guys, and we haven't really had the need to go that route yet thankfully.

Pretty refreshing to hear rumors from insiders like JJT that McCarthy seems to be building some clout in the locker room as well, albeit via the internet.

2. Dallas has apparently always really emphasized mental health within their organization and have been on the cutting edge really for the last two decades or so. Jerry Jones has always had psychiatrists available for players to speak to to evaluate any problems that they may be having internally. Supposedly, Dallas has been involved with evaluating mental health longer than most teams, and Jerry actually just hired on another big name doctor to evaluate and work with the players. JJT notes that it can be difficult for guys as young as 21-22 years old that came from extremely humble beginnings and less than favorable backgrounds to be all of a sudden cashing checks for millions of dollars, while still being expected to do the right things as people.

This fact almost makes me wonder if this is why Jerry often takes his chances with, what fans and media describe as "head cases." For years, I've just thought Jerry likes the attention of signing the "crazy" players, but it appears he actually believes in what his organization can do on the mental health front. If he can land great talent, while also helping a player battle his own personal demons and put him in an environment to succeed, it's a win for everyone involved in my opinion. I also wonder if being a mental health advocate could be Jimmy Johnson's influence as well. As most know, Jimmy Johnson received his degree in Psychology and was fully prepared to attend grad school and become an industrial psychologist himself. A coach at Louisiana Tech, however, had a heart attack, and the HC hired Jimmy on to help teach the players the defense, and the rest, as they say, is history. The HOF has spoken.

3. We all heard John Harbaugh whining about the new guidelines in the league this week on the Baltimore sports radio station, as I believe he called them "humanly impossible." I think the main issue he had was that players are expected to have physical, padded practices, but are also expected to social distance in the locker rooms and beyond. JJT asked a source about this, and what he thought. The source noted that they are constantly doing off the wall things for the benefit of the team, and these hurdles caused by COVID will be no different. At the Star, everyone under the Joneses has a "just get it done" attitude. Nobody in any department is going to tell the Joneses that anything is impossible. They're going to roll with the punches and take these challenges as they come. The source did note that they have plenty of space at their current facility, and should be able to accommodate anything they're trying to do with the players.

4. JJT basically stressed pass defense and turnovers here. He and Matt had some banter here about sacks, and how they're the sexy stat that every fan of defensive football stresses over, but in actuality takeaways and not allowing the big completions are far more important, as it translates into winning. JJT noted that 6 of the top 10 teams in sacks last season didn't even make the playoffs. I think he had mentioned during Rod's best year as DC in terms of points allowed, they were hardly able to generate any turnovers. Either way, it's Mike Nolan's job now to fix this defense into a unit we all know they're capable of being.

I, personally, think defense at any level is very important. Pass rush/sacks has a lot to do with pass defense, but I think that this segment was only mentioned in haste for Matt to go into depth about some research he had done on sacking the QB. JJT hardly did much talking here.

And that's it folks!

https://www.kesn1033.com/2020/06/12...protests-insight-on-sack-philosophy-and-more/

:starspin:

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
Jerry has been at the forefront of doing anything he can to support his players for decades. Because of that the Cowboys are one of the preeminent sports franchises in the world. My earliest recollection of this was with a DT named Underwood in the late 90’s who flamed out on the Vikings. Jerry fully believes with the right support system in place the Cowboys can turn around anyone if their talent justifies it. The results are mixed but as a fan I’m proud of what Jerry tries to do here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sign Clowney and trade for Jamal Adams.

All done.

25_madden_cover_1988_madden_nfl_covers.0.0.jpg

SSoup

Reaction score
Jerry Jones has employed Calvin Hil as a consultant specializing
in working with troubled players for many years. It's not an act.
It's pretty clear by now that it's also not working. The laundry list of players who Hill oversaw as they continued their troublesome behavior unimpeded or even developed new troublesome behavior that they weren't known for before coming here is long enough to indicate Hill's only actual job here is to be the name we throw out there to explain we've got someone on the case regardless of their qualifications or ability to get desirable results.

If Hill and our alleged embrace of mental health were working, we'd have a noticeable history of maintaining campsite rules with our players (leaving them in better shape than we found them). I've not found that to be the case or the kind of results we've gotten at all. Our willingness to overlook mental conditions is obviously more about our willingness to put football ahead of everything else and in fact entirely disregard mental health when it doesn't suit us from an on-the-field standpoint in terms of giving ourselves permission to acquire any physically talented guy we want.

Bigdog

Reaction score
It's pretty clear by now that it's also not working. The laundry list of players who Hill oversaw as they continued their troublesome behavior unimpeded or even developed new troublesome behavior that they weren't known for before coming here is long enough to indicate Hill's only actual job here is to be the name we throw out there to explain we've got someone on the case regardless of their qualifications or ability to get desirable results.

If Hill and our alleged embrace of mental health were working, we'd have a noticeable history of maintaining campsite rules with our players (leaving them in better shape than we found them). I've not found that to be the case or the kind of results we've gotten at all. Our willingness to overlook mental conditions is obviously more about our willingness to put football ahead of everything else and in fact entirely disregard mental health when it doesn't suit us from an on-the-field standpoint in terms of giving ourselves permission to acquire any physically talented guy we want.
I understand what your saying but it also takes the player to want to change his behavior. Some people just don’t want to. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink it. There is an old joke in the mental health profession and it goes like this: How many therapists does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: That depends if the light bulb wants to change. The therapist can give a person all the tools to overcome any issues they might have but it is up to the person to utilize those tools to become a productive member of society and to live within their community.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I also wonder if being a mental health advocate could be Jimmy Johnson's influence as well. As most know, Jimmy Johnson received his degree in Psychology and was fully prepared to attend grad school and become an industrial psychologist himself.

This is off base. A typical undergraduate psychology degree might require a single course in mental health. Psychology is a very broad field with mental health encompassing only a small part of it.

If Jimmy was focused on industrial psych, he would be focused on issues of employee selection and management, healthy work environments, leadership, and motivation. It simply is not a mental health focused discipline

Dreski

Reaction score

Maybe having a HC who’s more relatable than Garrett will help ;) Garrett seemed too “politician-y” to me. McCarthy seems more human. Just my opinion

Bigdog

Reaction score
This is off base. A typical undergraduate psychology degree might require a single course in mental health. Psychology is a very broad field with mental health encompassing only a small part of it.

If Jimmy was focused on industrial psych, he would be focused on issues of employee selection and management, healthy work environments, leadership, and motivation. It simply is not a mental health focused discipline
This so true. Psychology is a very broad field that you can do almost anything with. There are different courses one could take but all have to take intro to psychology and research methods to major in it. After that it is up to the individual on what courses they want to take and it can be very vast depending on the school. Industrial psychology is what you said and more. It can be any where from what to paint the color of a room or how to set up a room. I took a course in it and it was pretty interesting and it goes all the way back to the 1920s where a famous experiment with factory workers was conducted known as the Hawthorne effect. Basically it was a study that increase lightening would increase productivity but that didn’t it happen. Productivity increased no matter if was dark, dim, or bright. What the researchers found out was that productivity increased because the workers new they were being watched.

817Gill

Reaction score
Okay, folks. I'm back and ready to recap yesterday's segment. I apologize for the delay. Tis the season for hours of yardwork, grilling, chilling on the lake, and beers by the pool!

Let's go:

1. Mike McCarthy is back in town and had at least one Zoom call with the team last week that JJT knows of and gave a raw, impassioned message to the team, mainly discussing the current state of society and the George Floyd killing, and the aftermath that we are currently experiencing in the present days. Players seemed to take well to it. JJT noted that there are some teams like the Saints bringing in celebrities like Shaquille O'Neal and even Spike Lee to speak to the players, but Dallas is opting to keep things in house and personal amongst themselves. This did give JJT a chance to point out that no Dallas personnel has yet to go full Drew Brees and air out an unpopular opinion in the media on the matter for all teammates to hear. Pretty impressive stuff for the most visible sports team in the world. With the situation in New Orleans, Sean Payton is likely playing damage control with his guys, and we haven't really had the need to go that route yet thankfully.

Pretty refreshing to hear rumors from insiders like JJT that McCarthy seems to be building some clout in the locker room as well, albeit via the internet.

2. Dallas has apparently always really emphasized mental health within their organization and have been on the cutting edge really for the last two decades or so. Jerry Jones has always had psychiatrists available for players to speak to to evaluate any problems that they may be having internally. Supposedly, Dallas has been involved with evaluating mental health longer than most teams, and Jerry actually just hired on another big name doctor to evaluate and work with the players. JJT notes that it can be difficult for guys as young as 21-22 years old that came from extremely humble beginnings and less than favorable backgrounds to be all of a sudden cashing checks for millions of dollars, while still being expected to do the right things as people.

This fact almost makes me wonder if this is why Jerry often takes his chances with, what fans and media describe as "head cases." For years, I've just thought Jerry likes the attention of signing the "crazy" players, but it appears he actually believes in what his organization can do on the mental health front. If he can land great talent, while also helping a player battle his own personal demons and put him in an environment to succeed, it's a win for everyone involved in my opinion. I also wonder if being a mental health advocate could be Jimmy Johnson's influence as well. As most know, Jimmy Johnson received his degree in Psychology and was fully prepared to attend grad school and become an industrial psychologist himself. A coach at Louisiana Tech, however, had a heart attack, and the HC hired Jimmy on to help teach the players the defense, and the rest, as they say, is history. The HOF has spoken.

3. We all heard John Harbaugh whining about the new guidelines in the league this week on the Baltimore sports radio station, as I believe he called them "humanly impossible." I think the main issue he had was that players are expected to have physical, padded practices, but are also expected to social distance in the locker rooms and beyond. JJT asked a source about this, and what he thought. The source noted that they are constantly doing off the wall things for the benefit of the team, and these hurdles caused by COVID will be no different. At the Star, everyone under the Joneses has a "just get it done" attitude. Nobody in any department is going to tell the Joneses that anything is impossible. They're going to roll with the punches and take these challenges as they come. The source did note that they have plenty of space at their current facility, and should be able to accommodate anything they're trying to do with the players.

4. JJT basically stressed pass defense and turnovers here. He and Matt had some banter here about sacks, and how they're the sexy stat that every fan of defensive football stresses over, but in actuality takeaways and not allowing the big completions are far more important, as it translates into winning. JJT noted that 6 of the top 10 teams in sacks last season didn't even make the playoffs. I think he had mentioned during Rod's best year as DC in terms of points allowed, they were hardly able to generate any turnovers. Either way, it's Mike Nolan's job now to fix this defense into a unit we all know they're capable of being.

I, personally, think defense at any level is very important. Pass rush/sacks has a lot to do with pass defense, but I think that this segment was only mentioned in haste for Matt to go into depth about some research he had done on sacking the QB. JJT hardly did much talking here.

And that's it folks!

https://www.kesn1033.com/2020/06/12...protests-insight-on-sack-philosophy-and-more/

:starspin:
Legends back!

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
This so true. Psychology is a very broad field that you can do almost anything with. There are different courses one could take but all have to take intro to psychology and research methods to major in it. After that it is up to the individual on what courses they want to take and it can be very vast depending on the school. Industrial psychology is what you said and more. It can be any where from what to paint the color of a room or how to set up a room. I took a course in it and it was pretty interesting and it goes all the way back to the 1920s where a famous experiment with factory workers was conducted known as the Hawthorne effect. Basically it was a study that increase lightening would increase productivity but that didn’t it happen. Productivity increased no matter if was dark, dim, or bright. What the researchers found out was that productivity increased because the workers new they were being watched.

I agree completely. I am a clinical psychologist and know from working with other professionals that the field of psychology is very diverse. Not only is there industrial psychology but other fields including social psychology, health psychology, forensics psychology, neuro-psychology, cultural psychology, school psychology, etc.

I think Jerry Jones' support of the mental health of his players indicates his overall commitment to winning and what's best for the team. That is one of Jerry's most impressive traits, which is his willingness to utilize as many resources as possible for the betterment of his organization. In my opinion, it is one of the reasons why he is seen as a leader among NFL owners.

Iago33

Reaction score

As if people were machines that can be easily repaired?

Bigdog

Reaction score
I agree completely. I am a clinical psychologist and know from working with other professionals that the field of psychology is very diverse. Not only is there industrial psychology but other fields including social psychology, health psychology, forensics psychology, neuro-psychology, cultural psychology, school psychology, etc.

I think Jerry Jones' support of the mental health of his players indicates his overall commitment to winning and what's best for the team. That is one of Jerry's most impressive traits, which is his willingness to utilize as many resources as possible for the betterment of his organization. In my opinion, it is one of the reasons why he is seen as a leader among NFL owners.
Couldn’t agree with you more. When I graduated from college back in the early 90’s I wanted to become a sports psychologist but I was told I needed to go get my PHD and find a university that would teach it. I applied to several professional sports including the Cowboys. They all wrote back to me thanking me for my interest but don’t have a position to fit my skills. I new it was a long shot but you never know.

I commend Jerry for trying to help his players who have mental or behavioral issues. No one can say that Jerry doesn’t care about his players. I think as an owner he is at the forefront of mental illness for the NFL.