Recap: JJT: Whispers from the Star (7/24)

LittleD

Reaction score
But to go into negotiations with that attitude seems bizare. Maybe it was because he already had an idea of where the front office valued him and he was offended by that value. I dont believe this story, but if it is true it's a shame we weren't able to get some value for Dak and bring in another QB. If all he is now is a one year rental I think we could've rented a better value.

It seems to me that Jerry signed our LT to a 10 yr contract for great money and he's still a Cowboy for life. Jerry takes care of his players...we know that. If Dak wanted to be here long term, he would by now. It's clear to me that for most players it's all about the money and not the team. The team should act accordingly and let him go for two No1 draft picks.

LittleD

Reaction score
in this league you better have a better than average QB. If you dont, your dead in the water. Dalton isnt better than average. DAK IS. Adams wouldnt net us wins. DAK DOES. Take him away, and we are a below .500 team.

How would you know that. He's never had a great team around him and mostly only one reliable receiver every year. Still he's made the playoffs several years. He may not have won the big game but,
Dak hasn't either.

pansophy

Reaction score
the difference is he will be expecting more, at that point the 4 year deal is irrelevant, Dak is betting on himself to be even better this year
That would presume he was getting a offered a lower tier deal. He wasn’t. So even if he plays lights out, how much higher can that contract go?

RamziD

Reaction score
A trashy organization trashing their starting QB through the media before the season even starts. How utterly not surprising.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
in this league you better have a better than average QB. If you dont, your dead in the water. Dalton isnt better than average. DAK IS. Adams wouldnt net us wins. DAK DOES. Take him away, and we are a below .500 team.
While I do agree with your point in total, you have to remember that guys like Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, Jim McMahon, and even Eli Manning have Super Bowl rings. Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, and Fran Tarkenton do not.

You can win a Super Bowl in this league without being an offensive juggernaut because it's the ultimate team game.

CWR

Reaction score
It seems to me that Jerry signed our LT to a 10 yr contract for great money and he's still a Cowboy for life. Jerry takes care of his players...we know that. If Dak wanted to be here long term, he would by now. It's clear to me that for most players it's all about the money and not the team. The team should act accordingly and let him go for two No1 draft picks.

At the same time he has let guys walk who he felt weren't worth the cost moving forward. While I have little doubt JJ intended on taking care of Dak, despite what he says publicly I think it's apparent they do not value Dak in the same manner as a Mahomes, Arod, Brees ect. There lies the problem. Dak is a very good, not yet great QB and we were trying to pay him along those lines. His agent however was looking at statistics without regard to context. If Dak wants to be paid like the best in the game he will have to prove he is the catalyst for this offense, not just a good player surrounded by great players.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If Dak wanted out then france and Dak would have had no problem with saying it.

There could be other reasons he wasn’t in a big hurry about it.

1 - Maybe he don’t feel wanted after we picked up Dalton. They low ball him one year.

2 - Maybe france told Dak not to worry about it because JJ always gets deal done and caves. Just hold off. Then at the end notice that Dak got involved and got numbers he would sign for. So in theory they know that they can come up with a acceptable offer and him wanting to sign it tells me he wants to be here. I do think after they knew that it was to late that they went ahead and started negotiating for next year. Something like ok Dak we know next year the numbers go up a few million a year so let’s keep this structure next year for a contract and just raise certain numbers like the yearly average. Next year there will be no problem coming up with a deal.

3 - Maybe Dak wasn’t worried because he knew he was making 31 million this year and 37 next year. He knows now they have a deal in place. He won’t get paid 37 next year. It will be less but he will have a 50 million dollar signing bonus check to cash and spend.

4 - Dak already got on social media and posted his kool picture of him in A Cowboys hat and said he was happy and proud to be here. He didn’t have to say anything. He is used to dealing with this media crap. He knows what’s going on, we don’t, neither does the media, so we speculate.

5 - I think france is bad for Dak. And in the future he knows dealing with SJ isn’t the same as dealing with JJ. SJ won’t cave as easy. SJ will wait till the end and make a call and deal with the player directly and give in more with them than france. I don’t think the Joneses like france. And I think france has cost Dak some money.