Jobs for multi-lingual people?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I'm thinking of leaving my current job. I'm a tech support agent. I help people on the telephone with technology. I used to use my French all the time on this job because we got calls from Quebec. If the person's English sucked, I could just help them out by switching to French. However, they ended up getting a special call center for Canadian customers, so now I only take calls from the US, and I rarely use my French now. I also speak German fluently, and I speak a little Swiss-German.

I'm busy applying for jobs at US embassies overseas. My first choice would be Switzerland where they speak German, French, and Swiss-German. It would be a perfect fit for me because I have family over there. My grandparents were immigrants from that country. I would therefore love to work at the US embassy there or at the American consulate. I would also consider other countries like France, Germany, Morocco, and Algeria.

My language skill are good. I can have a conversation in German just as easily as I do in English, and my French is almost as good. Every weekend I have conversations in Skype with people in other countries to improve my French. I've also studied some Spanish, but I'm not any good at it yet. But if I keep it up, I will be.
Can you guys think of any other jobs where they need someone who speaks German and French well? I would consider living in some other country as long as I know it's safe. I enjoyed this job much more when I needed to use my French. I took calls in French, and I also translated some emails into French.

I don't hate my current job by any means. It's okay, but it would be good to find something that pays better and where my language skills are used. I would learn a new language also if it were needed for the job. For example, if I worked at the US Embassy in Morocco, I would use my French a ton there, but some people there speak Magrebi Arabic. Learning that would not be out of the question.

If anyone has any ideas where I might apply where they need language skills, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions for you but I always admired multi-lingual people. Good luck finding something.