Jobs you’ve had?

ESisback

Reaction score
From 1980-2014, I worked in radio, all shifts, all formats. I met SO many people, and had countless good times, but I worked many part time job during my radio stints, as well as between. Summer jobs included 4 summers selling soda during grandstand shows at the Clearfield County Fair. Saw lots of stars for free. I also served two summers as a playground supervisor for the local school district. Several sales jobs followed—shoes at Kmart, pianos and organs at the Mall, encyclopedias door to door, and vacuum cleaners (that REALLY sucked!). I also worked two jobs as a bartender, and managed at a Hardee’s. Radio was my best job BY FAR!

How about you?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
From 1980-2014, I worked in radio, all shifts, all formats. I met SO many people, and had countless good times, but I worked many part time job during my radio stints, as well as between. Summer jobs included 4 summers selling soda during grandstand shows at the Clearfield County Fair. Saw lots of stars for free. I also served two summers as a playground supervisor for the local school district. Several sales jobs followed—shoes at Kmart, pianos and organs at the Mall, encyclopedias door to door, and vacuum cleaners (that REALLY sucked!). I also worked two jobs as a bartender, and managed at a Hardee’s. Radio was my best job BY FAR!

How about you?
I hope someday to get paid to be a Cowboys fan !
:muttley:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How about you?
I worked as a janitor, baker, bouncer and then as an educator and coach....also been a long time realtor...

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
My first job was delivering newspapers when I was 10 years old. During high school and college I drove a delivery car for a pharmacy and a pizza shop, and umpired little league baseball games. After college I was a tax preparer and auditor, got my CPA license, and eventually settled into being a Finance Director in healthcare for over 25 years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How about you?
Nude Model for an Art Class at Texas Woman's University.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First job at 15 was a soda jerk at the neighborhood drug store. Think Tom Cruise in Cocktail, it was that cool.

Pretty much downhill after that. Was a sales rep for a pharm company, Mattel Toys, rag peddler until I got into broadcast services in 76 which led to music licensing and then radio for 26 years. Retired from radio in 2016.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First job at 15 was a soda jerk at the neighborhood drug store. Think Tom Cruise in Cocktail, it was that cool.

Pretty much downhill after that. Was a sales rep for a pharm company, Mattel Toys, rag peddler until I got into broadcast services in 76 which led to music licensing and then radio for 26 years. Retired from radio in 2016.
I knew you were a Jerk!! Lol!

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I worked at a movie theater in high school. Eventually, all of my friends ended up working there. We had a blast. Some 25 year old who worked there would buy us booze.

I’ve had a lot of flying jobs. I’ve flown freight, flown private jet charters, and I’ve flown for 3 airlines. I hope I’m at the last job I’ll ever have.

Creeper

Reaction score
I was a paperboy for a while when I was a pre-teen. I hated it because we had to collect the weekly fees from customers and many of them were a pain in the butt. The fee was 33 cents per week and people would give me $.35 and ask for change! Some people were generous though. Getting $.50 was considered a good customer.

My first real job was stock boy in an upscale lamp and lighting store. It was my first experience with "rich" people. They would buy lamps that cost $400 at the time, which was a lot of money in the late 1960s. It shocked me a little to see how quickly they would shell out hundreds of dollars or what I thought were ugly lamps. But I also learned to repair lamps at 16 so I gained some practical experience.

Then I worked at WT Grants, which was like a chain variety store like K-Mart with out the grocery section. I worked in the garden department selling gardening stuff. But I got ripped unloading trucks of bagged lime and other lawn products. A truck would deliver 1000 50lb bags of lime and we had to unload and stack that stuff inside the shop area. WT Grants went bankrupt and I got caught up in the layoffs when the company started going down hill. But I was in school so I focused on college.

After college I went to work for a major international bank programing in BASIC and COBOL. Funny because I had no experience in either language. But I did some FORTRAN programming in college - and when I say some I mean maybe 4 or 5 decks of punch cards! They gave me a couple of manuals and a terminal and put me to work.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

How about you?
Can’t hold down a job?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They paid me NOT to be a nude model! Made a fortune!
I'm putting a football camp together with 2 former all pros and a SB champion....I'm on the EDC board in my town, but many friends are gonna sponsor and pay most of it.....it's pretty cool to hear these stories, we all make contacts throughout our lives.
It will be a free camp and coed..
Just helping kids make memories

morasp

Reaction score
I was a paperboy for a while when I was a pre-teen. I hated it because we had to collect the weekly fees from customers and many of them were a pain in the butt. The fee was 33 cents per week and people would give me $.35 and ask for change! Some people were generous though. Getting $.50 was considered a good customer.

My first real job was stock boy in an upscale lamp and lighting store. It was my first experience with "rich" people. They would buy lamps that cost $400 at the time, which was a lot of money in the late 1960s. It shocked me a little to see how quickly they would shell out hundreds of dollars or what I thought were ugly lamps. But I also learned to repair lamps at 16 so I gained some practical experience.

Then I worked at WT Grants, which was like a chain variety store like K-Mart with out the grocery section. I worked in the garden department selling gardening stuff. But I got ripped unloading trucks of bagged lime and other lawn products. A truck would deliver 1000 50lb bags of lime and we had to unload and stack that stuff inside the shop area. WT Grants went bankrupt and I got caught up in the layoffs when the company started going down hill. But I was in school so I focused on college.

After college I went to work for a major international bank programing in BASIC and COBOL. Funny because I had no experience in either language. But I did some FORTRAN programming in college - and when I say some I mean maybe 4 or 5 decks of punch cards! They gave me a couple of manuals and a terminal and put me to work.
Reminds me of the old mainframe in college. We used to have to schedule terminal time for a half hour at a time. It was usually pretty late at night. Programs were stored and paper role with holes punched out and if you bent it you had to start over.

ESisback

Reaction score
Can’t hold down a job?
Not at all. Just like to try different things! Besides, several of those weren’t exactly careers, and this covers three and a half decades!

Ask anyone who’s been in radio over 30 years—constant change!