Joe Gibbs No Bill Parcells? you may be right

jaclark65

Reaction score
As a Commanders fan I thought that getting Parcells was a great move and gave the man his due. I watched him for years and thought you guys could use him. However, he is not close to Joe Gibbs. Gibbs total wining percentage 6.83
parcells 5.66 advantage Gibbs. Gibbs playoff record 16-5 (post season winning percentage 7.87) Parcells 11-6 post season record. Advantage Gibbs
Gibbs three super bowls. Parcells 2 super bowls. again advantage Gibbs.
:eek:
I can promis you this parcells knows what he is up against in Gibbs and if he could read some of your post he would think your crazy. Without a doubt this will be an exciting year for both teams and that first monday night game in DC will be special for the NFL.

Good Luck

Oh yes I think your Owner tried to get Gibbs to coach you guys not to long agao wonder what he knew

Mike 1967

Reaction score
jaclark65 said:
As a Commanders fan I thought that getting Parcells was a great move and gave the man his due. I watched him for years and thought you guys could use him. However, he is not close to Joe Gibbs. Gibbs total wining percentage 6.83
parcells 5.66 advantage Gibbs. Gibbs playoff record 16-5 (post season winning percentage 7.87) Parcells 11-6 post season record. Advantage Gibbs
I can promis you this parcells knows what he is up against in Gibbs and if he could read some of your post he would think your crazy. Without a doubt this will be an exciting year for both teams and that first monday night game in DC will be special for the NFL.

Good Luck

Oh yes I think your Owner tried to get Gibbs to coach you guys not to long agao wonder what he knew

I know one thing. He knows how to spell

twa

Reaction score
While I do respect Gibbs and believe he will improve the skins.[I think I would be a improvement over Spurier] Check out the head to head results,and this is with parcells having to build 3 different teams :D

AJM1613

Reaction score
I read that too and had a little laugh, but becareful who you talk back to because the unnamed person is a mod. ;)

Right now, I would rather have Parcells coaching my team because he has proven in four seperate occaisions that he can turn a terrible team into a very good team in just two years, Gibbs hasn't.

Unbias opinion because I "hate" both of them very very much. :D

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
jaclark65 said:

Good Luck

lol...nice try. Hmmm...how many teams did Gibbs coach in this particular tenure...how many did Parcell’s coach and bring back and rebuild from the depths. BP has made the playoffs with 4 different teams (NFL record)...which means starting from scratch each time....Gibbs...same ole' Skins. If BP had stayed with one team as long as Gibbs did in the same timeframe, trust me your stats would be vastly different.....

Unforgiven

Reaction score
twa said:
While I do respect Gibbs and believe he will improve the skins.[I think I would be a improvement over Spurier] Check out the head to head results,and this is with parcells having to build 3 different teams :D

Bang. This guy hit it on the head. If Gibbs would have taken three different franchises that started out in the tank, and had to rebuild them, he would not look near as successful numbers wise.

That being said, he is a great coach. A step above Spurrier. I hated to see him come back but love the rivalry.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Portland Fanatic said:
lol...nice try. Hmmm...how many teams did Gibbs coach in this particular tenure...how many did Parcell’s coach and bring back and rebuild from the depths. BP has made the playoffs with 4 different teams (NFL record)...which means starting from scratch each time....Gibbs...same ole' Skins. If BP had stayed with one team as long as Gibbs did in the same timeframe, trust me your stats would be vastly different.....

Add to it that Gibbs had all of this sucess before the salary cap.

So he had no salary cap and did it with the same team.

I will give Gibbs his due as he is a great coach and deserves the respect.

But for some silly skinz fan to come in here with this silly post is just asanine.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
When it's all said and done only one thing matters and that's Super Bowl wins. Hopefully Parcells will catch up soon.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Unforgiven said:
Bang. This guy hit it on the head. If Gibbs would have taken three different franchises that started out in the tank, and had to rebuild them, he would not look near as successful numbers wise.

That being said, he is a great coach. A step above Spurrier. I hated to see him come back but love the rivalry.
Try about 10 floors above Spurrier.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Add to it that Gibbs had all of this sucess before the salary cap.

So he had no salary cap and did it with the same team.

Imagine the first meeting with Danny and Joe after being hired...

Gibbs: Danny I want...Kearse, Portis, TO, Woody...get me Payton Manning, and give me some fries while you're out.

Danny: Uhhh..Mmmm...hey Joe, did you know they capped us...yeah all the teams have the same cap.

Gibbs: ***!!!! How do you expect me to win.

Madzo

The Gunshow
Reaction score
jaclark65 said:

Good Luck

Not surprising coming from a skins fan. Looking at those numbers, you might say that Gibbs is the better coach only from those numbers. It's your opinion and your entitled to have it. However If you went around the league and took a poll on asking every current and past NFL player,"who would you play for Gibbs or Parcells?" I'd be willing to bet the farm that the Tuna would win in a land slide. Gibbs is a great coach, But Parcells is just one of those once in a lifetime legendary coaches that players play their heart out for. When we were in our post Jimmy years, I would watch parcells with the pats and jets and just prayed we would get a coach similar to him. Even if we don't win the Superbowl with his services, he atleast brought back RESPECT to this football franchise. That's all I could ever ask for, Don't care if you bring in a Coach with a 1.000 playoff win percentage, but if he's not a loyal true die hard coach, that commands the best out of all his players and shows the heart and dedication each and everyday of the year, then I don't want you. You can have Gibbs, I'm happy with Tuna.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I normally don't feed the trolls like this, but I just can't help myself ..

All I can say is at least our coach (Parcells) has coached this century. :D :D

On a side note, ever notice how most of the Commanders's fans jump on the Super Bowl bandwagon every year due to their "big" new player or coach addition/change? Year after year they have added over priced veterans who once were good players only to be put out to pasture in what they call Commanders' stadium. Deion was going to do it for them. Jeff George was going to be their savior. Then came Spurrier and his fun-and-gun offense. Yet, year after year, they have been mediocre at best.

At least most (not all), but most, of the Cowboys' fans keep a more level head about things. Sure, we added Vinnie, Eddie and Keyshawn but as Cowboys' fans, we're a lot more realistic about our chances this season. Of course if the Commanders had gotten those players, they'd be putting in the order for the glass case for the Super Bowl trophy.

I consider myself an extremely objective person most of the time and I guess I am just missing something when it comes to the Commanders' fans. I mean, I really respect Gibbs .. and I mean that. He is definitely one of the best coaches ever in the NFL, and so is Parcells. However, coaches don't play on the field .. the players do. While I think Portis will greatly help their running game, I just see too many holes in other areas of their team, much like the Cowboys. Brunnell was never a great quarterback and he's on the downside of his career now. Of course they'll point out the same about Vinnie, but I don't see anyone here claiming Vinnie is leading the Cowboys to the promise land.

When I look at the Commanders, I see a team who lost Stephen Davis (who is more suited for a Gibbs' offense than Portis). They lost Champ Bailey and I'm sorry but Smoot will never be as good as Bailey was. They lost Jansen now as well on an offensive line that was one of the worst in the league last year.

Heck, if they still had Davis and Bailey, I'd say they have a shot at a deep playoff run, but even then, I wouldn't see a Super Bowl in their future .. at least not this year.

Parcells and Gibbs are very good old-school hard-nosed football coaches who are very strategic in their game planning and expect a lot from their players, but both coaches can only work with the players they have and the players are what will keep both of these teams out of the Super Bowl for now.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
twa said:

Help me out, is Parcells vs. Gibbs 11-8 or 11-6? Not sure why but I get the two mixed up.

I do know they had one head-to-head meeting in the playoffs, advantage: Parcells...1-0, 17 to 0 win.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
When it's all said and done only one thing matters and that's Super Bowl wins. Hopefully Parcells will catch up soon.
@ of gibbs' have an asterik next two them.

SkinFaninOKC

Benched
Reaction score
RW31 said:

You wouldn't be saying that if YOUR beloved Cowboys won in those strike shortened years. If it was YOUR beloved Cowboys you and your bunch would be shouting about 7 titles and forgetting the asterisks. You have to take them for what they were. The strike affected all the teams, OBVIOUSLY. It is just that the Commanders were the best teams in those years.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
SkinFaninOKC said:
You wouldn't be saying that if YOUR beloved Cowboys won in those strike shortened years. If it was YOUR beloved Cowboys you and your bunch would be shouting about 7 titles and forgetting the asterisks. You have to take them for what they were. The strike affected all the teams, OBVIOUSLY. It is just that the Commanders were the best teams in those years.
Maybe, but if it was the cowboys, you would use that same argument.

SkinFaninOKC

Benched
Reaction score
RW31 said:
Maybe, but if it was the cowboys, you would use that same argument.

That is the way the world works. It is just so we can talk smack and it all in fun to try and piss people off.

rdskn4eva

Reaction score
RW31 said:

You mean 1982 and 1987, the super bowl year when we beat the cowboys with replacement players agaist your vets? Pitiful.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
jaclark65 said:

Good Luck

As soon as I read that, I knew I should stop. Im sorry I didnt. Please, do tell us, what is Parcells record versus Gibbs? When has Gibbs brought 4 different franchises back from obsucurity to title contenders? Thats what I thought. You may crawl under a riock now.