Joe Thomas?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I believe Thomas is a LT isn't he? I mean that doesn't mean you can't move him but I'm guessing he's going to want to be paid like a LT. I don't know what kind of contract he already has or anything.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Joe Thomas at RT anyone?? He can still protect Johnny Football in a different uniform! :laugh:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/1/4/10707920/joe-thomas-trade-browns-head-coach-mike-pettine

If somehow magically Joe Thomas came to Dallas you'd put him at LT and move Tyron to RT.

Joe Thomas is the best LT in the NFL and has been for at least the last 5 years.

I fully expect Joe Thomas to be once again the 1st team All-Pro LT.

He allowed a grand total of 1 sack this season despite having to block for 3 different QBs... compare that to the 7 sacks Tyron gave up this year or the 6 Tyron gave up in 2014.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If somehow magically Joe Thomas came to Dallas you'd put him at LT and move Tyron to RT.

Joe Thomas is the best LT in the NFL and has been for at least the last 5 years.

He allowed a grand total of 1 sack this season despite having to block for 3 different QBs... compare that to the 7 sacks Tyron gave up this year or the 6 Tyron gave up in 2014.

You don't move your young LT, one that is ranked in the top 5 LTs in the league, for a 31 year old LT. Tyron Smith has also had a season where he only gave up a single sack.

Smith, in terms of grading, had one bad game this entire season. Oh, and Smith was a "First Team all-pro" despite his 6 sacks given up in 2014.

fredp22

Reaction score
Why would we waste a sizable amount of cap space on the only area that doesnt need work. We dont need a LT and paying a RT LT money is a waste of cap space. He was making over 10mm a year. On top of that who said he would even move to RT when so many teams need and will pay him LT money.

perrykemp

Reaction score
You don't move your young LT, one that is ranked in the top 5 LTs in the league, for a 31 year old LT. Tyron Smith has also had a season where he only gave up a single sack.

Smith, in terms of grading, had one bad game this entire season. Oh, and Smith was a "First Team all-pro" despite his 6 sacks given up in 2014.

If somehow magically Joe Thomas appeared on the Cowboys roster next season, what other reasonable thing <could> you do other than play Thomas at LT and Tyron Smith at RT?

Again, the OP posted a scenario I find highly implausible, however, I am suggesting that if it did come to pass, Thomas would play LT and Smith would play RT... and it would be awesome!

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Only way I want Cowboys to trade for Manziel is if Browns throw in Joe Thomas (and Josh Gordon). Cowboys are doing Browns a favor by taking Manziel off their hands, so they need to make it worth our while.

And Dallas should not have to offer first rounder either. Browns have holes everywhere so package some of our "stars" like Free, Leary, Terrance Williams, Brandon Carr or Barry Church, etc.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like the idea. If a top 4 pick isn't worth wasting on a QB in this weak draft class, we should go all in on Manziel so we get top 4 picks every year until there's a QB available who is worth drafting.

Why stop there. The draft is growing in popularity so why not just have top 4 picks forever

visionary

Reaction score
Only way I want Cowboys to trade for Manziel is if Browns throw in Joe Thomas (and Josh Gordon). Cowboys are doing Browns a favor by taking Manziel off their hands, so they need to make it worth our while.

And Dallas should not have to offer first rounder either. Browns have holes everywhere so package some of our "stars" like Free, Leary, Terrance Williams, Brandon Carr or Barry Church, etc.

Im on board with this
Trade our 4th for JF and joe Thomas
Then cut JF and trade joe Thomas for a 1st or 2nd rd pick

Sounds good

sideon

Reaction score

And how many of those were coverage sacks?

cowboys2233

Reaction score

Who in the heck is suggesting we offer a first rounder for Manziel? Funny thing, everyone assumed Manziel would be out of Cleveland because the front office was done with him. Just like a lot of people assumed D. Murray was going to be one and done in Philly. Nope -- when you spend a high draft choice on a player or give them loads of guaranteed money, they ain't the ones on their way out. It's the front office that puts these players in those positions to begin with that are in danger, much cheaper to get rid of the staff than the player.

perrykemp

Reaction score
And how many of those were coverage sacks?

I don't know? Probably roughly in line with other LTs in the league is my guess.

How many of Joe Thomas's 1 sacks where coverage sacks?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
He's going to want (and get) a whole bunch of money which we need in other places.