Joey Bosa Can Be Solid NFL Player, but Not Perennial Pro Bowl Talent

RS12

Reaction score
In this draft class, thin at the top, maybe Bosa's college production and life pedigree will vault him into that conversation, but anyone expecting a repeated double-digit sack artist is mistaken.

Power rushers have their place in the NFL, but the level of difficulty of facing Big Ten right tackles is completely different than when professional offenses declare you as their biggest threat in pass protection.

For teams like the Tennessee Titans and the Cleveland Browns, they need to ask themselves honestly, can they take a defensive end who will likely earn five or six sacks on a consistent basis that high, because asking more than that out of the Buckeye doesn't align with what his skill set was in college or with what similar pass-rushing bodies do in the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-nfl-player-but-not-perennial-pro-bowl-talent

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
That's what scouts said about JJ Watt too.

You should be ban for posting Bleacher Report stuff. :muttley:

CCBoy

Reaction score
RS12, thanks for doing the work of posting info about draft players.

There are similarities in a ton of directions that can receive a fan's handle. It's better to get a variety of views to measure how one feels.

Straight up...I don't want in preference for a variety of players the team could really use constructively now.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Hilarious. The guy points out his undeniable ability. He points out how polished his pass rush moves are. He points out how powerful he is. However, since he can't "move like a linebacker in space" he's not worthy of being a top-5 pick... It's comical that he highlights Bosa's versatility and ability to move inside and still be very disruptive, but then uses it as a knock on his skills.

Getting a kid with Bosa's production is one thing. Getting a kid with Bosa's production who already has several NFL caliber pass rush moves (including a swim, a rip, a stutter and a false step inside move) combined with his immense length and tremendous frame, then you throw in the fact he's already incredibly powerful... I don't know how much better an NFL defensive line prospect could look coming out.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I love the comparison to Julius Peppers in the first video. I think that is a great comparison for Bosa.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I love the comparison to Julius Peppers in the first video. I think that is a great comparison for Bosa.

I don't know about that one, I doubt Joey Bosa could play for the University of North Carolina's basketball program. Especially a team that made the final 4 in 2000 and won the ACC in 2001.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Peppers was an elite right DE. Bosa is nowhere near peppers athletically. Think Chris long

You can think that, but I don't agree at all. Bosa has more skill and finesse to his game than Long had.

I've watched every full game of Bosa. He does things already, before being drafted, that Chris Long still can't/doesn't do. I actually think he looks a lot like Michael Strahan too.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I don't know about that one, I doubt Joey Bosa could play for the University of North Carolina's basketball program. Especially a team that made the final 4 in 2000 and won the ACC in 2001.

Have you seen Bosa on the blacktop? The kid is white Shaq!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Peppers was an elite right DE. Bosa is nowhere near peppers athletically. Think Chris long

Julius Peppers was a rotational player on the tar heals in 2000 when they made the final four and in 2001 when they won the ACC, I think people forget that

RS12

Reaction score
You can think that, but I don't agree at all. Bosa has more skill and finesse to his game than Long had.

I've watched every full game of Bosa. He does things already, before being drafted, that Chris Long still can't/doesn't do. I actually think he looks a lot like Michael Strahan too.

I could live with Strahan at 4, Chris Long not as much.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I don't think anyone forgets that. We are talking football.

Not many DEs posses the athletic ability to play and contribute on one of the nations's premier basketball programs, and to compare Peppers coming out to Bosa, suggests that you may not have been thinking about that.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Not many DEs posses the athletic ability to play and contribute on one of the nations's premier basketball programs, and to compare Peppers coming out to Bosa, suggests that you may not have been thinking about that.

Peppers was a PF/C at North Carolina. We aren't talking about a guy who was running up and down the court, leading the break as a 1 or 2. We are talking about a guy who made his living banging down low. I watched Carolina during those years. In fact, I have watched just about every game going back to the Stackhouse years. I didn't watch much before that. Didn't have cable :\. Peppers is a tremendous athlete, there is no denying that. However, we are talking about his play as a DE in college. I am saying, when you watch the tape, they look quite similar.

Since he became a pro though, Peppers has become a man among boys. He's gotten significantly bigger and thicker. I am not sure if Bosa could carry that much more muslce.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Peppers was a PF/C at North Carolina. We aren't talking about a guy who was running up and down the court, leading the break as a 1 or 2. We are talking about a guy who made his living banging down low. I watched Carolina during those years. In fact, I have watched just about every game going back to the Stackhouse years. I didn't watch much before that. Didn't have cable :\. Peppers is a tremendous athlete, there is no denying that. However, we are talking about his play as a DE in college. I am saying, when you watch the tape, they look quite similar.

Since he became a pro though, Peppers has become a man among boys. He's gotten significantly bigger and thicker. I am not sure if Bosa could carry that much more muslce.

I'll just say the athletic ability to play there, even if we're talking about a low post player/rim defender is quite a step up from you average (even above average) DE. Stick most DEs that are around the size of Peppers out there, and they are a complete non factor on the fast break and are a liability on defense, due to slow rotations and double teams.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I'll just say the athletic ability to play there, even if we're talking about a low post player/rim defender is quite a step up from you average (even above average) DE. Stick most DEs that are around the size of Peppers out there, and they are a complete non factor on the fast break and are a liability on defense, due to slow rotations and double teams.

I can't argue with that. Peppers was a great athlete. So was Shaq though ;)