John Madden laying some knowlege on us all!

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
I couldn't just sit around listening to Madden so i decided to write down some of his better quotes from tonights game.
btw AM is Al Michaels, and JM is John Madden

AM: Saturdays battle between Penn State and Notre Dame.
JM: "sounds like college football"

JM: "If neither of these teams can start completing passes its gonna be a low scoring game"

JM: "The good thing about having speed is when your being chased, you don't get caught."

Funnies

JM: "Daunte (culpepper) is a great Sneaker too, quarterback sneaker."

JM: "But i wonder if Ronnie Brown can take the whole load?"

Moral of the story.....the man loves to hear himself talk!

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
I grew up with Madden calling games. I actually like the guy alot. Ya know the "booms and the bangs", its just colorful. When I think of Thanksgiving, its hard to not hear Madden calling the Cowboys game anymore.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Not that I dislike him.....just that he babbles on and on, and says some amazingly stupid things. Sometimes i think he is trying to explain football to a two year old.

not hatin just pokin fun

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
ya, he does kinda state the obvious as if he were trying to teach a bunch of housewives the game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back in the day he was great. Madden and Sumerall were the #1 NFL announcing team. The last few years sadly, not so much.

Rick_Deckard

luvtheboys
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Back in the day he was great. Madden and Sumerall were the #1 NFL announcing team. The last few years sadly, not so much.
Someone once said that Sammy David Jr. did the worst Sammy Davis Jr impersonation. I feel the same way about Madden. He sounds like he is doing a bad job of impersonating the old John Madden. He has become a parody of himself. Frank Caliendo does a much better Madden impersonation than Madden does.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
luvtheboys said:
Someone once said that Sammy David Jr. did the worst Sammy Davis Jr impersonation. I feel the same way about Madden. He sounds like he is doing a bad job of impersonating the old John Madden. He has become a parody of himself. Frank Caliendo does a much better Madden impersonation than Madden does.

I enjoy Madden alot..
I am not crazy about his sidekick these days but As for Madden if I could pair him with Aikman and have them do all the Cowboy games with Goose as their sideline reporter , I'd be one happy guy...

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Madden and Summerall and the NFL in general were great and fun to watch in the 80s and early 90s. Fast forward to 2006-eh, not so much. And Michaels' nasal voice is awful.

JonCJG

Reaction score
Just wait till the next BangCartoon Podcast next week. :)

VACowboy

Reaction score
Did anyone else think the halfitime show seemed really awkward?

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Madden & Aikman are my favorite announcers.

Madden becuase I grew up with him....love the voice and his little sayings that sometimes don't make sense.

Aikman is just a great announcer. He really does a great job.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
Madden & Aikman are my favorite announcers.

Madden becuase I grew up with him....love the voice and his little sayings that sometimes don't make sense.

Aikman is just a great announcer. He really does a great job.

i agree totally with you....especially the bolded part

always give me a nice little chuckle

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
J.Jones21 said:
Not that I dislike him.....just that he babbles on and on, and says some amazingly stupid things. Sometimes i think he is trying to explain football to a two year old.

Read this board sometimes, and you can understand why.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Well you know, he does get paid to talk. At least he speaks in intelligible sentences.

ravidubey

Reaction score
J.Jones21 said:
I couldn't just sit around listening to Madden
Sounds like this is exactly what you did.

J.Jones21 said:
AM: Saturdays battle between Penn State and Notre Dame.
JM: "sounds like college football"

Translation for the over eagerly hypercritical (TFH): he's essentially saying college football has arrived and that matchup is a perfect college matchup.

J.Jones21 said:
JM: "If neither of these teams can start completing passes its gonna be a low scoring game"

TFH: Again he's saying in a conversational way that both passing games are having a hard time getting started. This is meant to be funny, not a conveyance of actual information.

J.Jones21 said:
JM: "The good thing about having speed is when your being chased, you don't get caught."
TFH: Again in a funny way in a single sentence he's commenting on how a particular player demonstrated speed, was not caught, and of the importance of speed in general. I must say you would have to be dense not to understand this.

J.Jones21 said:
Moral of the story.....the man loves to hear himself talk!
As does most of the football audience, the non-hyper-critical, full of themselves audience that is.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
VACowboy said:
Did anyone else think the halfitime show seemed really awkward?

I didn't watch the halftime show but the pregame was terrible. I turned the tv over to Pimp My Ride. :D

JonCJG

Reaction score
Ravidubey

:thumbup:

Football wouldn't be the same without Madden.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I personally love Madden. I'll take him over listening to Theismann any day.