John Madden laying some knowlege on us all!

proline

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Sounds like this is exactly what you did.

Translation for the over eagerly hypercritical (TFH): he's essentially saying college football has arrived and that matchup is a perfect college matchup.

TFH: Again he's saying in a conversational way that both passing games are having a hard time getting started. This is meant to be funny, not a conveyance of actual information.

TFH: Again in a funny way in a single sentence he's commenting on how a particular player demonstrated speed, was not caught, and of the importance of speed in general. I must say you would have to be dense not to understand this.

As does most of the football audience, the non-hyper-critical, full of themselves audience that is.

Are you Madden's mom or something? The OP was just having a little fun.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like madden.

Sometimes he says those crazy things but it is a good laugh to me.

He just loves the game and the players and nothing sounds forced.

The only time he annoys me is when he is slobbering over Brett Favre no matter what game they are covering.

Give me madden over 99% of the guys out there.

At least his voice doesn't annoy me or he does not turn into super homer sometimes like Joe Theezman.

And anyone but Theezman and McGwire (sp?).

Most of the guys calling the games may annoy me slightly but for the most part don't bother me.

Theezeman and MCGwire just killed me.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
CaptainMorgan said:
I grew up with Madden calling games. I actually like the guy alot. Ya know the "booms and the bangs", its just colorful. When I think of Thanksgiving, its hard to not hear Madden calling the Cowboys game anymore.

Ditto.

Nothing like a Cowboys game being called by Madden and Summerall.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
dbacklund said:
Al Michaels would call this thread "Dubious"

:laugh2:

You got that right.

Everyone has a favorite word, I suppose, but there's no doubt that Al loves "dubious."

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
J.Jones21 said:
I couldn't just sit around listening to Madden so i decided to write down some of his better quotes from tonights game.
btw AM is Al Michaels, and JM is John Madden

AM: Saturdays battle between Penn State and Notre Dame.
JM: "sounds like college football"

JM: "If neither of these teams can start completing passes its gonna be a low scoring game"

JM: "The good thing about having speed is when your being chased, you don't get caught."

Funnies

JM: "Daunte (culpepper) is a great Sneaker too, quarterback sneaker."

JM: "But i wonder if Ronnie Brown can take the whole load?"

Moral of the story.....the man loves to hear himself talk!

I had to laugh (at Madden because I think he's a fool) when they came back from the halftime show and he asks "why do they (costsas & co) sit with their back to the field"? Um, John its for us the audience.

Angus

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Back in the day he was great. Madden and Sumerall were the #1 NFL announcing team. The last few years sadly, not so much.

Back in the day you probably didn't know as much football as you do now, so it sounded wiser then. I don't think he has changed, but his listeners may have.:D

TX_Yid

Reaction score
I like Madden, he's got personality and is a likable guy.

He made me laugh last night when he said he was thinking about coming back if they would let him run on the field to throw the challenge flag. Said there would be no way the officials could miss him (unlike Saban):laugh2:

WarC

Reaction score
Yeah, Madden is the brunt of jokes for the boys and I whenever he's announcing a game. My friends always crack on him about the stupid shiite he says all the time.

But Madden is a part of football. He's been around for as long as I've been watching football (I'm only 20), and I think we'll all miss him when he's gone for good.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
J.Jones21 said:
I couldn't just sit around listening to Madden so i decided to write down some of his better quotes from tonights game.
btw AM is Al Michaels, and JM is John Madden

AM: Saturdays battle between Penn State and Notre Dame.
JM: "sounds like college football"

JM: "If neither of these teams can start completing passes its gonna be a low scoring game"

JM: "The good thing about having speed is when your being chased, you don't get caught."

Funnies

JM: "Daunte (culpepper) is a great Sneaker too, quarterback sneaker."

JM: "But i wonder if Ronnie Brown can take the whole load?"

Moral of the story.....the man loves to hear himself talk!

what!!!!he went a whole game without a Brett Favre comment???

dwmyers

Reaction score
When Madden first started announcing, some of the habits that people complain about now were considered refreshing. He wasn't as bad about the sound effects, the All-Madden team wasn't a video game, and EA Sports hasn't made a franchise out of his thoughts on pro football.

He was a Super Bowl winning coach who could dissect games simply and make them easy to understand. That is still his greatest asset, when you can get him out of being folksy and "Madden" to an extreme. Just, there is less and less analysis and more and more sound effect and more folklore as he gets older. It's harder for him to work at the game these days.

David.