John Neal, Oregon’s DB coach for 14 years: “I think Kellen Moore is smarter than me”

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We should just go to MIT than if we are looking for smart people to be coaches

Or we can just look for idiots to coach because from what I can tell from posters in this thread, being smart is a poor trait for a coach.

I’m not sure if people have noticed though that the references to Moore being smart is tied to “football IQ” and not SAT scores or academic success.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Garrett has a winning record, how did he prove he was unqualified for this job? Because internet fans disagree with his fourth down calls?

If Tony Romo doesn't get hurt in 2015 Garrett would likely have the third best winning percentage among active head coaches.

Marvin Lewis has a winning record too.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Marvin Lewis has a winning record too.

Answer the question. Why was Garrett unqualified? He had been an NFL player and then an NFL Coach for 7 years, with a year as Offensive Coordinator and then three more years as Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator.

Then when he took the job he has a winning record.

How exactly was he unqualified for the job?

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Answer the question. Why was Garrett unqualified? He had been an NFL player and then an NFL Coach for 7 years, with a year as Offensive Coordinator and then three more years as Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator.

Then when he took the job he has a winning record.

How exactly was he unqualified for the job?

He was unqualified to even be an offensive coordinator to begin with. Just like Moore. He got a QB coaching job because of a friend, and because he was the guy who everyone always said "should be a coach some day." He was mediocre as a QB coach, but got the Offensive Coordinator job anyway, because it was preordained. From there, it was just a matter of if, not when, that he took over from Wade.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Circling back to the post above from links18, the hope here is that the Princeton-educated, and fairly experienced head coach is going to be so involved with the offense that, between the two of them, it proves to be a success like couldn't be anticipated.

Picture 3 months ago someone telling you that by February the hope for the offense was getting Garrett really really involved in it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He was unqualified to even be an offensive coordinator to begin with. Just like Moore. He got a QB coaching job because of a friend, and because he was the guy who everyone always said "should be a coach some day." He was mediocre as a QB coach, but got the Offensive Coordinator job anyway, because it was preordained. From there, it was just a matter of if, not when, that he took over from Wade.

Garrett was christened HC in Waiting the day he was hired, well before Wade was.

I'm hoping Boy Genius II replaces him.

For the lolz!

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
I got that last line backward, by the way.. a matter of WHEN, not if!

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Garrett is coach because he does EXACTLY what Jerry tells him to ..period

Kaiser

Reaction score
He was unqualified to even be an offensive coordinator to begin with.

So your theory is that Garrett was completely unqualified at each step but got promoted twice and was successful at the jobs he was promoted into. Every time. And that somehow makes him unqualified.

tenor.gif

_sturt_

Reaction score
Picture 3 months ago someone telling you that by February the hope for the offense was getting Garrett really really involved in it.

I can tell it bothers you based on your preaching. Doesn't bother me.

I'm not in the church that teaches Jason Garrett is incompetent.

He has proved himself, at minimum, an average NFL head coach, and possibly in a tier just below the best... and when he was an offensive assistant, he obviously was pretty well regarded.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
So your theory is that Garrett was completely unqualified at each step but got promoted twice and was successful at the jobs he was promoted into. Every time. And that somehow makes him unqualified.

tenor.gif

Yes, unqualified - or underqualified - people get hired/promoted in the NFL all the time based solely upon who they know.

"Successful" is clearly a relative term here as it relates to Garrett's tenure.