John Stephens Jr

exciter

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/team/players-roster/john-stephens-jr/

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...urprise-tight-end-luke-schoonmaker-prediction

What happened with this guy? I assume he is still on the roster and recovered. I rarely see him spoken about. He was a bright flash last year in training camp and preseason showing good hands and fluid route running. He is listed as a WR but he played more as a receiving TE from what I recalled. He is an interesting combo guy that seems like he is too big for DB's to cover but too fast for LB's.
Tore his ACL. He’s a 220lb converted WR who caught some balls mostly ad libbing routes similar to the 6’8” TE who created the board uproar years back. He’s the epitome of a developmental player and doesn’t have much of a clue as to how to actually play TE. If you look at the TEs they brought in as UDFAs their focus is blocking. He may be competing with Hendershot but he’s more of a multi year practice squad type!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Tore his ACL. He’s a 220lb converted WR who caught some balls mostly ad libbing routes similar to the 6’8” TE who created the board uproar years back. He’s the epitome of a developmental player and doesn’t have much of a clue as to how to actually play TE. If you look at the TEs they brought in as UDFAs their focus is blocking. He may be competing with Hendershot but he’s more of a multi year practice squad type!
He was 232 last year. Could be bigger now. He is not an inline TE. He's a move TE also called an H/back. McCarthy used that position at GB when he had a "receiving TE"

exciter

Reaction score
He was 232 last year. Could be bigger now. He is not an inline TE. He's a move TE also called an H/back. McCarthy used that position at GB when he had a "receiving TE"
His playing weight in college was 220s. He put on weight for his pro day because he didn’t have a chance at WR. Wasn’t much of a receiver in college 41 rec for 650 yards in 5 seasons and had issues with drops. Hendershot is by far a much better option at H back!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
His playing weight in college was 220s. He put on weight for his pro day because he didn’t have a chance at WR. Wasn’t much of a receiver in college 41 rec for 650 yards in 5 seasons and had issues with drops. Hendershot is by far a much better option at H back!
Hendershot was not used on any of the plays that Stephens ran. Once he was hurt all those plays disappeared from the offense.

exciter

Reaction score
Hendershot was not used on any of the plays that Stephens ran. Once he was hurt all those plays disappeared from the offense.
So the 3rd/4th string TE was out running some mysterious plays that the regular offense doesn’t run… Or was he just running around because he doesn’t have a clue as to what he’s doing and the quintessential hback type TE who actually knows how to play the position can’t.
OK!

Chasing6

Reaction score
So the 3rd/4th string TE was out running some mysterious plays that the regular offense doesn’t run… Or was he just running around because he doesn’t have a clue as to what he’s doing and the quintessential hback type TE who actually knows how to play the position can’t.
OK!
Stephens is a tweener. He can run plays that a normal TE can not. Just like Stephens will most likely not be a good in-line blocker.

exciter

Reaction score
Stephens is a tweener. He can run plays that a normal TE can not. Just like Stephens will most likely not be a good in-line blocker.
He played 2 seasons here in Louisiana… he can’t catch either unless the ball is perfectly located. Couldn’t get on the field at TCU with their spread offense because of drops!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With a rookie QB (basically) the more large targets on the field at once the better.

blueblood70

Reaction score
People have heard of him. He was making plays in preseason last year and was likely to make the team before he got hurt.
You know how many training camp and preseason heroes we've had around here on all sides of the ball that don't even make the 53 man roster that barely even make the practice squad injury or not you guys have this guy as your pet cat and we have 7 tight ends to choose from he's gonna have a hard time making this roster I said it and I'm gonna stand by it hey if I'm wrong I'm wrong but who cares we're talking about a dude 5th or 6th on the depth chart... I mean we heard about all those wide receivers last year in training camp some of them that have been invited back about how they should beat out tober and how Gallup should be cut because all these dudes and preseason look so good and none of them seen a single snap not one of them I'm talking about all the guys people were talking about this very thing about about how impressive they were in preseason... That is why it's called preseason most of the teams are not running actual schemes they're not playing against better talent and then you have to add in there's a numbers game on how many of each position you could put on your team and some are gonna run long some are gonna run short and I have a feeling that tight end is gonna run short this year because we're gonna need help at other positions that are more dire..

But thanks for the information and I'll be sure to look for the man to become the next overrated Rico or you can name a whole bunch of third or fourth tight ends we've had in the last 10 years that people were like excited about they never did a single thing or like you said they're injuries kept them from doing more...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Last year is not two years and as I already stated "they" say he was going to make the team. He was also the only "TE" that ran the plays he was running. He was the only player that had the physical type to run those plays. They don't have anyone else to do it.
Sorry I'm being honest about your pet cat but move on this dude is a training camp hero we've had guys like him like Rico and others and a bunch of wide receivers from last year's hell there was some of those Hard Knocks guys like what was his name karma everyone thought was gonna make the team as a great pass rusher it never happened so good I'm glad you loved the guy I'll keep an eye on it for him but I have a feeling he's not gonna make the team... It's a numbers game and we're gonna go short at some positions long at others and I believe tight end are gonna lose a lot of the low hanging fruit over the numbers game...

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You know how many training camp and preseason heroes we've had around here on all sides of the ball that don't even make the 53 man roster that barely even make the practice squad injury or not you guys have this guy as your pet cat and we have 7 tight ends to choose from he's gonna have a hard time making this roster I said it and I'm gonna stand by it hey if I'm wrong I'm wrong but who cares we're talking about a dude 5th or 6th on the depth chart... I mean we heard about all those wide receivers last year in training camp some of them that have been invited back about how they should beat out tober and how Gallup should be cut because all these dudes and preseason look so good and none of them seen a single snap not one of them I'm talking about all the guys people were talking about this very thing about about how impressive they were in preseason... That is why it's called preseason most of the teams are not running actual schemes they're not playing against better talent and then you have to add in there's a numbers game on how many of each position you could put on your team and some are gonna run long some are gonna run short and I have a feeling that tight end is gonna run short this year because we're gonna need help at other positions that are more dire..

But thanks for the information and I'll be sure to look for the man to become the next overrated Rico or you can name a whole bunch of third or fourth tight ends we've had in the last 10 years that people were like excited about they never did a single thing or like you said they're injuries kept them from doing more...
There’s no telling how he’ll do this year. Just saying he did well last year. Maybe he isn’t the same after injury but he has just as much of a chance as any tight end besides Ferguson and Schoonmaker. I really like Stephens and Spann-Ford but idk if the Cowboys will carry four tight ends and a fullback also.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think Stephens might have just been the flavor of the month last season prior to his injury. Has a lot of development ahead of him. I feel more hope and optimism with Spann-Ford this season. He is a legit TE and reminds me of ......should i say?....Novacek... Bigger, but just as athletic. No, not saying he is him, but a guy can dream, right? :starspin:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Dude, shuddup.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/team/players-roster/john-stephens-jr/

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...urprise-tight-end-luke-schoonmaker-prediction

What happened with this guy? I assume he is still on the roster and recovered. I rarely see him spoken about. He was a bright flash last year in training camp and preseason showing good hands and fluid route running. He is listed as a WR but he played more as a receiving TE from what I recalled. He is an interesting combo guy that seems like he is too big for DB's to cover but too fast for LB's.
Rumor was he was about to take Hendershot’s job if he kept playing like that in preseason. Sucks that the injury took him out. Hopefully can come back.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last year is not two years and as I already stated "they" say he was going to make the team. He was also the only "TE" that ran the plays he was running. He was the only player that had the physical type to run those plays. They don't have anyone else to do it.
Interesting athlete.

At 6'6-1/2", 232 he ran a 1.55 10-yard split.

For reference:
WR A.J. Brown: 1.59 Ten-Yard
WR Mike Evans: 1.60 Ten-Yard

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You do realize that people speaking about this guy it's all just opinion to know if this guy will even make the roster let alone take somebody spot that goes for all of those seems like McCarthy's in love with Mckeon being the third guy as a blocker or whatnot but it's going to be a numbers game they got like 7 tight ends on this roster right now for camp it's ridiculous.... I think they might need to go deep at running back and possibly wide receiver before they worry about all these hanger ONS at tight end..
It's all about probability and statistics.

UDFAs and mid/late rounds picks represent an extra raffle ticket.

Trying to predict which one will develop into a quallity player is insanity; however, the probability is good that a few of many will make it.

I'll roll the dice an a guy that's 6-6 and ran a 1.55 10-yard split with a 36" vert.

Back in 2012, they drafted an off-ball LB in the 6th round that ran a 4.97 forty. The probability of that guy ever becoming a quality playerr was basically zero.