Johnson and Bollinger Rotation

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
I've heard plenty of commentary on one verses the other, but no mention of a possible rotation. Would this be a reasonable approach?

Perhaps we should try to utilize the strengths of both players, which could minimize their weaknesses.

Any thoughts on this?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
STAR GAZER;2380732 said:
I've heard plenty of commentary on one verses the other, but no mention of a possible rotation. Would this be a reasonable approach?

Perhaps we should try to utilize the strengths of both players, which could minimize their weaknesses.

Any thoughts on this?

I brought this up already. I had thought about the game against the Broncos several years ago when Dan Reeves was swapping Elway and some other QB that I can't remember in and out against us.

It was I believe in the early 90s.

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;2380740 said:
I brought this up already. I had thought about the game against the Broncos several years ago when Dan Reeves was swapping Elway and some other QB that I can't remember in and out against us.

It was I believe in the early 90s.

So I guess it's not such a crazy idea after all. I'm wondering if Red could get creative with it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
STAR GAZER;2380747 said:
So I guess it's not such a crazy idea after all. I'm wondering if Red could get creative with it.

It would be like a change of pace back. No matter what they are going to blitz, but at least Bollinger can throw deep!

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;2380759 said:
It would be like a change of pace back. No matter what they are going to blitz, but at least Bollinger can throw deep!

When Johnson is shaken up from any possible sacks, then he could be relieved by Bollinger. At Johnsons age, I would imagine that would help him to refocus.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'm not in favor, at all, of rotating QBs. This isn't the NCAA. That won't work at this level and there is Cowboys history to prove that rotating QBs, during a game, doesn't work and causes problems.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I said this yesterday, .. not a rotation, but a set of plays set up for Bollinger, playing to his strengths in the right situation to catch the Giants off guard. And maybe a few other surprises. We don't stand much of a chance lining straight up against them.

Link:
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134486

So I say we start Johnson, and hope he plays turnover free again, ... BUT, I would prepare a certain package for Bollinger, and I would prepare a package for snapping directly to Barber.

Put together a set of plays that play to Bollingers strengths, that could catch the Giants off guard.

And a set for snapping directly to Barber in short yardage, etc.

I would look for the right situation to throw a fake punt in too.

It sounds crazy but we have to pull out all of the stops since we are so undermanned.

And then hope that our D can play like they did against the Bucs.

We can't hope to win playing the Giants straight up. IMO

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2380813 said:
I said this yesterday, .. not a rotation, but a set of plays set up for Bollinger, playing to his strengths in the right situation to catch the Giants off guard. And maybe a few other surprises. We don't stand much of a chance lining straight up against them.

Link:
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134486

So I say we start Johnson, and hope he plays turnover free again, ... BUT, I would prepare a certain package for Bollinger, and I would prepare a package for snapping directly to Barber.

Put together a set of plays that play to Bollingers strengths, that could catch the Giants off guard.

And a set for snapping directly to Barber in short yardage, etc.

I would look for the right situation to throw a fake punt in too.

It sounds crazy but we have to pull out all of the stops since we are so undermanned.

And then hope that our D can play like they did against the Bucs.

We can't hope to win playing the Giants straight up. IMO

Well, it appears that enough of us have had this thought. So I wonder if the coaches are tossing this idea around.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Would love to know what Brads srengths are. If you're going to tell me error free football don't waste your breath. A few INT's were in the making last week, he was very lucky most corners don't have WR hands in this league.

He has sound knowledge of the offense? Definitely useful as long as your arm can utilize the playbook at least up to 20 yards down the field.

Please do not tell me accuracy, please do not. Leadership and huddle managment/presence I'll give Brad as strengths because of his experience and past results but other than that he is not even a 1 dimensional QB who is as much as a liabilty if more than not.

Brooks should be bagging groceries as well but at least we can see a 20 yard pass that sometimes hits the WR in stride. At least there is some mobility. There is absolutely no huddle presence, barely game management past 1 game and definitely not much leadership but we need to give ourselves a chance at 21 points. I doubt Brooks can find us 21 himself but I think he poses a better chance than Brad at this point.

Will Brooks screw up field position and let the Giants score defensively? You have to coach the importance up this week. If you are looking to have Johnson available in the red zone so that we can get at least 3 points or set up a nice jump ballfor RW or T.O to go up and get then I can see this QB switch up worth while. Otherwise I want Brooks in, even though he stinks also. T.O and RW have to be considered in this game by the defense because MBIII is going to be their main focus and rightfully so.