Jonathan Casillas, Strong Safety

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a lot of Casillas? As an Ohio State fan, I saw him a couple of times, and think he would make an intriguing prospect as a SS. With his size/speed ratio of 6-1, 230, 4.48, & ability to cover TEs & RBs out of the backfield, has me thinking of picking him in my mock draft with one of the 4th round picks for the Cowboys.

Darren Woodsen made the same conversion from LB to safety in the 90s & became our all-time tackler & one of the best safeties in the league.

Any thoughts?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I just don't see it. I think he is more in the Darrin Smith, Dexter Coakley mold rather than Darren Woodson.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
I had a dream we selected this guy..lol. I had the same dream about Mike Jenkins last year...Coincidence?? Don't ask why I dream this....

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I dont know what I'm more scared about...
the fact that you think we will draft Casillas or the fact that you dream about the Draft.

Here try these...

Beyonce3.jpg

Megan-Fox6.jpg

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2728325 said:
I dont know what I'm more scared about...
the fact that you think we will draft Casillas or the fact that you dream about the Draft.

Here try these...

Beyonce3.jpg

Megan-Fox6.jpg

It's happened twice in my life lol..funny you mention Megan Fox..she was last week. Crazy dream.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2728331 said:
It's happened twice in my life lol..funny you mention Megan Fox..she was last week. Crazy dream.

here is some info on him for you,

PROJECTION:

Arizona Cardinals

Round 5, Pick 31

they have him going to cardinals in 5th round

JONATHAN CASILLAS MEASURABLES
Height: 6-1 Weight: 228
40-yard dash: 4.46 10-yard dash:
20-yard shuttle: 60-yard shuttle:
Broad jump: 225-lb. bench: 24
3-cone drill: Vertical jump:
Wonderlic: 20-yard dash:

KEY » *
Jonathan Casillas
OLB, Wisconsin
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is an extremely fast and agile player who is always around the football. Does a nice job getting off blocks to make tackles. Shows the ability to read and react quickly. Is a fluid and athletic player with the ability to wrap up well on tackles. Has good coverage skills.

Weaknesses: Needs to add more bulk and get stronger. Is not the most physical linebacker, which will hurt him in the NFL. Gets manhandled by athletic linemen and can easily be pushed aside because of his slenderness. Needs to polish technique.

Bottom line: Casillas is one of the fastest linebackers in the country, but he is also one of the most undersized. He will likely struggle to make the transition to the NFL. Casillas may be able to move to strong safety, which would fit his build better. Nevertheless, his athleticism is too good to pass up in the draft, and if nothing else, he'll be a solid special teams player early on.

Woods

Reaction score
I had him in one of my mock drafts.

I guess the big question is whether he can cover TEs and RBs in the pros?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Woods;2729065 said:
I had him in one of my mock drafts.

I guess the big question is whether he can cover TEs and RBs in the pros?

the report said he had good coverage skills

Woods

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2729238 said:
the report said he had good coverage skills

Yes, I was wondering if someone else could confirm? I have to check out some other reports on him.

I like his size and speed for sure.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Woods;2729269 said:
Yes, I was wondering if someone else could confirm? I have to check out some other reports on him.

I like his size and speed for sure.

Casillas is very good in coverage, even able to cover WRs. Other than their size, that is the closest he gets to Darren Woodson. Casillas is nowhere as physical as Woodson was. And he is coming off a leg injury. But that is why is falling so far, b/c he is a true speed merchant_as for the run, excels more in pursuit than POA (not a thumper but a good tackler). SS may be his best position, he's at least going to be a very good nickle LBer.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/565189

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/Jonathan-Casillas.php

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Height: 6-11/8 | Weight: 228 | 40-Time: 4.50

Official Bio

Strengths:
Great athleticism...Excellent speed and quickness with a burst...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Doesn't get hung up in traffic...Smooth and fluid...Is able to match up in coverage...Fantastic in pursuit...Reliable tackler...A team leader...Special teams potential...A ton of experience.

Weaknesses:
Severely undersized...Not very strong or powerful...Struggles to take on and shed blockers...Lacks top instincts and awareness...Slow to read and react...Not much of a pass rusher...Health / Durability issues.

Notes:
A three-year starter for the Badgers...Played extensively in a backup capacity as a true freshman...Started every single game in 2006 and 2007...Was cited for a DUI on a moped in 2007...Missed the first two games of the 2008 season after suffering an MCL sprain...Played through the injury as a senior but eventually underwent surgery to repair the damage which knocked him out of the Champs Sports Bowl, the Senior Bowl and really hindered him throughout the pre-Draft process...Could also be looked at as a safety prospect...Won't interest everyone and is limited in terms of his schematic versatility...Profiles as a weakside linebacker at the next level...Will have to land with a team that emphasizes speed and athleticism and will overlook his size.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
2005 12 10 0.5 0.0 0 0
2006 13 83 12.5 2.0 5 2
2007 13 96 9.0 1.0 1 0
2008 10 62 6.0 1.0 0 1
Totals

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange
Latest News
02/07/2009 - NFL DRAFT SCOUT FALLER: Jonathan Casillas OLB Wisconsin: Casillas is coming off a knee injury and was not able to participate at Wisconsin's Pro Day on March 4. He won't be able to work out for scouts until April 2. After playing through the injury last season and having surgery before the team's bowl game, Casillas has to prove he's healthy going into the draft. - Rob Rang, NFL Draft Scout
Overview
Casillas' excellent speed stands out on film. He's a three-time honorable mention All-Big Ten on the weak side (averaging nearly 90 tackles, including more than 11 for loss in 2006-2007) following a season in which he lit up special teams units as a true freshman. He played well in 2008 (62 tackles, six for loss) but missed three games -- including their bowl game -- and played through a knee injury. Casillas is considered too small for some NFL defensive schemes, but others covet his ability to flow to the ball.

Analysis
Positives: Runs to the ball very well and has excellent quickness for a linebacker. … A sideline-to-sideline player; can track down quick backs from the opposite side of the field. … Safety-like in coverage, able to shadow tight ends and slot receivers. … Also handles coverage responsibilities against running backs in the flat or on wheel routes. … When running free, he closes fast, brings his hips and is a strong wrap-up tackler. … Also uses his long arms to trip up ballcarriers on the move. … Was a real force on special teams early in his career because of his speed and tackling ability. … Played through knee pain throughout his senior season.

Negatives: Undersized, and some view him as a safety-linebacker "tweener." … Not strong enough to get off blocks from linemen or fullbacks, and inconsistent against receivers. … Does not keep cut blocks off his knees consistently. … Will run around blocks inside instead of taking them on. … Has the tools to be a good blitzer, but does not get home often enough. … Could be effective in a stack system in which the defensive linemen protect him from blockers. … Missed three games in 2008 with a knee injury and had surgery after the season.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BAT;2729710 said:
Casillas is very good in coverage, even able to cover WRs. Other than their size, that is the closest he gets to Darren Woodson. Casillas is nowhere as physical as Woodson was. And he is coming off a leg injury. But that is why is falling so far, b/c he is a true speed merchant_as for the run, excels more in pursuit than POA (not a thumper but a good tackler). SS may be his best position, he's at least going to be a very good nickle LBer.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/565189

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/Jonathan-Casillas.php

my thoughts exactly.

great special teamer and nickel backer. he is burnett minus the desire to crush people.

dmoore

Reaction score
jterrell;2729892 said:
my thoughts exactly.

great special teamer and nickel backer. he is burnett minus the desire to crush people.

If he can be great on special teams, I'd take a chance on him. He could find a role somewhere on defense.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
dmoore;2729941 said:
If he can be great on special teams, I'd take a chance on him. He could find a role somewhere on defense.

yeah but i dont want him running around fullbacks, tight end, to make a tackle, thats what bobby carpenter does, the whus;

we need a killer if this kid hits like darren woodson, but he has to be able to hit and make the player he hits feel the pain, and he has to be able to cover

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2729980 said:
yeah but i dont want him running around fullbacks, tight end, to make a tackle, thats what bobby carpenter does, the whus;

we need a killer if this kid hits like darren woodson, but he has to be able to hit and make the player he hits feel the pain, and he has to be able to cover

He's not an "ole" tackler. And unlike Carpenter, he will get his hands dirty. He is not a thumper, but he is a sure tackler (averaged about 90 tackles a season when healthy).

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2728393 said:
here is some info on him for you,

PROJECTION:

Arizona Cardinals

Round 5, Pick 31

they have him going to cardinals in 5th round

JONATHAN CASILLAS MEASURABLES
Height: 6-1 Weight: 228
40-yard dash: 4.46 10-yard dash:
20-yard shuttle: 60-yard shuttle:
Broad jump: 225-lb. bench: 24
3-cone drill: Vertical jump:
Wonderlic: 20-yard dash:

KEY » *
Jonathan Casillas
OLB, Wisconsin
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is an extremely fast and agile player who is always around the football. Does a nice job getting off blocks to make tackles. Shows the ability to read and react quickly. Is a fluid and athletic player with the ability to wrap up well on tackles. Has good coverage skills.

Weaknesses: Needs to add more bulk and get stronger. Is not the most physical linebacker, which will hurt him in the NFL. Gets manhandled by athletic linemen and can easily be pushed aside because of his slenderness. Needs to polish technique.

Bottom line: Casillas is one of the fastest linebackers in the country, but he is also one of the most undersized. He will likely struggle to make the transition to the NFL. Casillas may be able to move to strong safety, which would fit his build better. Nevertheless, his athleticism is too good to pass up in the draft, and if nothing else, he'll be a solid special teams player early on.

So, going by this scouting report, why is it so far-fetched, Chris & Slate? The reason his stock is low is that he is small for a LB. Put a 6-1, 230 lb. SS out there with wideout speed who can cover, and is a reliable tackler, and I'm good to go. He's the same size as Roy W. with much better cover skills, so I say we'd be better off than we were. The biggest problem I see with him is that he's not particularly strong. In an NFL strength/conditioning program, he will get a lot stronger and a little bigger. I like him. Especially if he can be had in the bottom of the 5th rd. I'd take him in a heartbeat at that spot!

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think this kid is a football player but just not one I would like to see in Dallas. He is a weakside backer IMO. Even if could play SS, he's the type of SS I want us to stay away from. I want interchangeable cover guys back there. Casillas and Hamlin is too much like what we've had back there.