Jonathon Stewart has surgery

heir

Reaction score
STEWART GETS SURGERY

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2008, 8:05 p.m.
"In a draft that has plenty of tailbacks, one of them has a question mark sprouting from his shoes.
According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Oregon running back Jonathan Strewart had surgery on Wednesday to repair a fracture in his foot.
As a result, Stewart will be out for four months, and will miss his Pro Day workout. The goal in having the surgery now was to ensure that Stewart would be ready for the start of training camp.
Stewart had the injury in February, when he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds at the Scouting Combine. He also churned out a 36-inch vertical jump.
The situation has drawn comparisons to Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, whose broken collarbone arguably prompted a mini-slide to No. 7 in the 2007 draft. But most running backs don’t use their collarbones to, you know, run.
Really, how can anyone justify a first-day pick (which is now only rounds one and two) on a guy with a surgically-repaired foot? "​

The above is from PFT. He will definately slide. He may have a great value if he does. Obvious risk related with it too.​

BigWillie

Reaction score
heir;1997760 said:
STEWART GETS SURGERY

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2008, 8:05 p.m.
"In a draft that has plenty of tailbacks, one of them has a question mark sprouting from his shoes.
According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Oregon running back Jonathan Strewart had surgery on Wednesday to repair a fracture in his foot.
As a result, Stewart will be out for four months, and will miss his Pro Day workout. The goal in having the surgery now was to ensure that Stewart would be ready for the start of training camp.
Stewart had the injury in February, when he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds at the Scouting Combine. He also churned out a 36-inch vertical jump.
The situation has drawn comparisons to Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, whose broken collarbone arguably prompted a mini-slide to No. 7 in the 2007 draft. But most running backs don’t use their collarbones to, you know, run.
Really, how can anyone justify a first-day pick (which is now only rounds one and two) on a guy with a surgically-repaired foot? "​

The above is from PFT. He will definately slide. He may have a great value if he does. Obvious risk related with it too.

1st day? Hell, I'd use our 1st pick on the guy.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
BigWillie;1997772 said:
1st day? Hell, I'd use our 1st pick on the guy.

Exactly my thoughts. If he can move that fast and show that explosiveness with the broken foot, why wouldn't he be able to do it without?

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Why would anyone use a first day pick on a RB with a surgically repaired knee like Willis McGahee?

Why would anyone use a first day pick on a RB with two surgically repaired knees and a surgically repaired shoulder like Frank Gore?

Why would anyone use a first day pick on a WR with a surgically repaired wrist, as is the case with Limas Sweed?

Maybe because this isn't the 1930's and surgical medicine has advanced to the point where an athlete can still preform at a high level after, and in many cases because of, a surgery.

heir

Reaction score
masomenos85;1997774 said:
Why would anyone use a first day pick on a RB with a surgically repaired knee like Willis McGahee?

Why would anyone use a first day pick on a RB with two surgically repaired knees and a surgically repaired shoulder like Frank Gore?

Why would anyone use a first day pick on a WR with a surgically repaired wrist, as is the case with Limas Sweed?

Maybe because this isn't the 1930's and surgical medicine has advanced to the point where an athlete can still preform at a high level after, and in many cases because of, a surgery.

To Add to that. Why would anyone use a first day pick on a RB with a surgically repaired shoulder like Adrian Peterson?

If he is there at 22, you GOT to pull the trigger.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

good call.

you'd think amputation was lined up with the way PFT dumps on him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I might roll the dice at #28 but I think it's a safe bet that he'll slide at least somewhat because of this. This draft is deep at running back already, giving teams plenty of options.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thehoofbite;1997770 said:
I'd pick him if he were there at 22.
Not me.

Very well said.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SOME DON’T THINK INJURY WILL HURT STEWART
Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2008, 8:27 a.m.

On the surface, Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart’s surgery to repair a broken bone in his foot has raised red flags. But some league insiders appreciate the fact that Stewart addressed the situation now, even though it puts his short-term financial interests at risk.

“It’s not a real big deal,” said one league source. ”I don’t think he gets out of round one. He’s simply too talented. It’s not really, in my opinion, any different than Heath Miller having surgery to repair a sports hernia before the draft.

“I actually think it’s responsible and somewhat honorable that he had it fixed now. He did it so he’d be ready for camp at the expense of his draft stock. A lot of players would not have done that. I think it reflects positively on the kid and I don’t think teams will hold it against him. He’s too good. The Bills drafted Willis McGahee in round one, and Stewart is every bit as good with a much less serious injury.”

newlander

Reaction score
Interesting development. I tend to lean toward what Hos said: VERY hard to let him slide past 22. He'll be gone shortly after that and we could regret it for a LONG time. This could be good guys. Question: can OUR doctors examine the foot before draft time? I would certainly think so......... :confused:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score

I wouldn't use a 1st round pick on Stewart because I don't think he's going to be that good in the NFL.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the system he played in than the injury.

Spread Option offense normally = poor NFL skill player

until I see that trend change I'd be very leery of drafting someone from that scheme early in the draft

David

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1997770 said:
I'd pick him if he were there at 22.

He will slide. I would thnk he's available at #22.
Now, if you get a chance to get McKelvin, DRC, or Mike Jenkns at #22 and then you still have the option of Felix Jones or a WR in the 1st round at #28 that would be my mindset as a wishful fan. Stewart is great, but he laks that big time burst in game action. I think Mike Mayock ponted that out well the other night on NFLN.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
dbair1967;1997808 said:
I wouldnt

David
Seriously. Aren't people around here tired of rookies missing time with injuries in camp?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
It wouldn't really effect my choice to much if I were looking at him. There are other RBs I would take first. No matter what, I wouldn't use a first one him though. There are other options I would easily take first even without the surgery.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
dogunwo;1997985 said:
Seriously. Aren't people around here tired of rookies missing time with injuries in camp?

Thats why he elected to have the surgery now rather than waiting till after his pro day.