Recap: Jones Boys 105.3FM TheFan - Will McClay & Coach Requests, Injury Update, McCarthy comment clarify

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Links on pictures if want more info and audio version. These are just quick snapshots.

• Current NFL schedule used to be 2 College schedules combined. Long journey. Not a sprint. I think team is as good a shape as could ever imagine.
  • I don't know when we've ever been this healthy going into Playoffs.
  • This is a battle-tested group. Been shot at and hit this regular season. And have changed mid-season which is impressive.
  • Most these guys had ups and downs this year. Either had to overcome a significant injury or been challenged on their performance.
  • The other teams had the same challenges. Which is why it's so competitive going into Playoffs.
  • Difference between Super Bowls 1-2, and SB 3, was we added Larry Allen & Deion Sanders. We have rare talent on this team too.
  • Tyler Smith. We were lucky with full tear. He is one of our best players at playing with pain. Highly intelligent too and understands how to play with it.
  • Stephon Gilmore. Could have been worse. We know what he means to our team. Yes, there is a realistic chance we can count on him Sunday. All our professional medical staff are saying go easy on him this week and he can probably make it.
  • Jordan Love impresses me. They had a plan for him since draft day 1. They are very talented with their receiver group.
  • Green Bay has evolved into a much better team which is the definition of a successful season.
  • I think those nasty Green Bay fans will try and mess up our all-white. Packer fans travel big time. Greatest fan base in sports.
  • We've had several of our coaches receive requests this week. That's what happens when you win. We don't have to give permission anymore under most circumstances.
  • Will McClay. Just willing to say we've had over a handful of offers and by time day is over, we may have three handfuls to talk to him. 15-20.
  • To talk a Coach into staying, you have to offer some logic on why staying 1-2 years will give them a better opportunity. Improving finances is something to talk about too, you have the ability to counter with money.
  • McCarthy follow-up: I was surprised that people took my comment the way they did. He is under contract. I couldn't be more pleased with what he has done. Apart from going over daily receipts, I don't know how to answer that question any different. I certainly haven't sat down in middle of playoffs and talked to McCarthy about his contract. By the way, he is the busiest cat in all of Texas. Last thing I want to do is talk to him about extensions, especially when I have one. He is the big difference this year and made as much a dent as any coach in the NFL could.

• We are gelling at the right time. Proud of how team overcame mistakes against Washington. Perfect game other than those 2 turnovers.
  • Offensive line was a great performance with the 2 young guys stepping up. Coach Solari done an amazing job. Great to know they are coming up in our organization. But yes, we definitely want Zack Martin and Tyler Smith back, and feel good about both being able to play against the Packers.
  • Biggest thing with Commanders game - Running game. All phases of offense worked. CeeDee, Fergy and Dak continued to do their thing. Defense stopped the run and had its signature turnover plays. Team is in the right direction.
  • We're glad its Sunday this year. Full week to prepare and normal week next week. Most optimal spot. And we have homefield advantage.
  • I never got nervous about Aubrey's missed FG. Good to get it behind us and move on. Would have liked the NFC record, but Aubrey is amazing coming from the soccer world. What a great story. We were laughing in the box that maybe we just need to back him up to 50 yards each time.
  • Feel good about Gilmore. He knows how to prepare himself. Ultimate pro. MRIs all looked good.
  • Craziest Injury I've seen someone go back on field and play with? I've seen guys with ACLs that didn't know they had them. Michael Irvin was one. Will to play is big for some of these athletes. Tank Lawrence has been one of our toughest guys on team lately with how much injury and pain he has played through.
  • Everybody knows what is at stake here. Elimination. I would bring up what Dak did with his NFC East hat. They have their sights on bigger things. They are focused, and I expect will play at a high level this week.
  • Zack Martin quarantine considered? It has moved through locker room, hopefully coming to a close. No one wanted to play that game more than him. Micah played with a flu bug. Zack wanted to also but his went the other direction.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Wow. 15-20 request for Will McClay?? That's what Jerry said. And it sounds like Cowboys are blocking most of the requests too. Didn't realize they could do that with new rules.

Jerry has a point about McCarthy. Sad that he isn't getting more COTY recognition because he actually TOOK OVER the offense, changed it and made it work better. Not many head coaches that have put that much time into it.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Links on pictures if want more info and audio version. These are just quick snapshots.

• Current NFL schedule used to be 2 College schedules combined. Long journey. Not a sprint. I think team is as good a shape as could ever imagine.
  • This is a battle-tested group. Been shot at and hit this regular season. And have changed mid-season which is impressive.
  • Most these guys had ups and downs this year. Either had to overcome a significant injury or been challenged on their performance.
  • The other teams had the same challenges. Which is why it's so competitive going into Playoffs.
  • Difference between Super Bowls 1-2, and SB 3, was we added Larry Allen & Deion Sanders. We have rare talent on this team too.
  • Tyler Smith. We were lucky with full tear. He is one of our best players at playing with pain. Highly intelligent too and understands how to play with it.
  • Stephon Gilmore. Could have been worse. We know what he means to our team. Yes, there is a realistic chance we can count on him Sunday. All our professional medical staff are saying go easy on him this week and he can probably make it.
  • Jordan Love impresses me. They had a plan for him since draft day 1. They are very talented with their receiver group.
  • Green Bay has evolved into a much better team which is the definition of a successful season.
  • I think those nasty Green Bay fans will try and mess up our all-white. Packer fans travel big time. Greatest fan base in sports.
  • We've had several of our coaches receive requests this week. That's what happens when you win. We don't have to give permission anymore under most circumstances.
  • Will McClay. Just willing to say we've had over a handful of offers and by time day is over, we may have three handfuls to talk to him. 15-20.
  • To talk a Coach into staying, you have to offer some logic on why staying 1-2 years will give them a better opportunity. Improving finances is something to talk about too, you have the ability to counter with money.
  • Once in Arkansas, when talking to a lobbyist about giving Governor Clinton a few thousand from Exxon. The Exxon guy told me: "Jerry, governors come and go, Exxon is infinity. We're gonna give your little governor some money." So the NFL is infinity, and in a sense the Cowboys are too. So all of us that get to be a part of this thing come and go. So we value our relationships with everybody associated with us but I can use that same word - thousands.
  • McCarthy follow-up: I was surprised that people took my comment the way they did. He is under contract. I couldn't be more pleased with what he has done. Apart from going over daily receipts, I don't know how to answer that question any different. I certainly haven't sat down in middle of playoffs and talked to McCarthy about his contract. By the way, he is the busiest cat in all of Texas. Last thing I want to do is talk to him about extensions, especially when I have one. He is the big difference this year and made as much a dent as any coach in the NFL could.

• We are gelling at the right time. Proud of how team overcame mistakes against Washington. Perfect game other than those 2 turnovers.
  • Offensive line was a great performance with the 2 young guys stepping up. Coach Solari done an amazing job. Great to know they are coming up in our organization. But yes, we definitely want Zack Martin and Tyler Smith back, and feel good about both being able to play against the Packers.
  • Biggest thing with Commanders game - Running game. All phases of offense worked. CeeDee, Fergy and Dak continued to do their thing. Defense stopped the run and had its signature turnover plays. Team is in the right direction.
  • We're glad its Sunday this year. Full week to prepare and normal week next week. Most optimal spot. And we have homefield advantage.
  • I never got nervous about Aubrey's missed FG. Good to get it behind us and move on. Would have liked the NFC record, but Aubrey is amazing coming from the soccer world. What a great story. We were laughing in the box that maybe we just need to back him up to 50 yards each time.
  • Feel good about Gilmore. He knows how to prepare himself. Ultimate pro. MRIs all looked good.
  • Craziest Injury I've seen someone go back on field and play with? I've seen guys with ACLs that didn't know they had them. Michael Irvin was one. Will to play is big for some of these athletes. Tank Lawrence has been one of our toughest guys on team lately with how much injury and pain he has played through.
  • Everybody knows what is at stake here. Elimination. I would bring up what Dak did with his NFC East hat. They have their sights on bigger things. They are focused, and I expect will play at a high level this week.
  • Zack Martin quarantine considered? It has moved through locker room, hopefully coming to a close. No one wanted to play that game more than him. Micah played with a flu bug. Zack wanted to also but his went the other direction.
Appreciate the recap.
Thanks

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
2-2 the last 4 games including the Detroit game. Not sure crushing a weak Commanders team means much. But hey, we're jelling!
Agree. Do you think Jerry's comment about healthiest team he's ever seen is true? Is this one of those comments I'll see every year before the postseason if I rewind? LOL

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Thanks Vaguero for the cliff notes. Excellent!

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Wow. 15-20 request for Will McClay?? That's what Jerry said. And it sounds like Cowboys are blocking most of the requests too. Didn't realize they could do that with new rules.

Jerry has a point about McCarthy. Sad that he isn't getting more COTY recognition because he actually TOOK OVER the offense, changed it and made it work better. Not many head coaches that have put that much time into it.
Four things working against McCarthy getting recognition as Coach of the Year:
  1. The 12-5 record this year is no different than the prior two seasons with Kellen Moore as the Offensive Coordinator and game-day play caller
  2. The Cowboys weak opponents record indicates that the record may not be as impressive as prior seasons with the same 12-5 record.
  3. The 4-5 away record hurts McCarthy's chances.
  4. The Cowboys being among the most penalized teams hurts McCarthy's chances.
Certainly, there are mitigating factors to each of the above reasons, but the reality is that the perceptions of the Sports Writers who vote on the award is the deciding factor. Cleveland's coach overcoming multiple starting QB's to end the season on a high note is certainly a factor. Also, Sports Writers seem to want to give awards to coaches who do the unexpected. Why aren't John Harbaugh and Kyle Shanahan also not mentioned more as candidates? Because they are EXPECTED to win, much like the Cowboys are expected to win. This is why Dan Campbell will also get high consideration, since the Lions haven't been winners in 3 decades, and he's turned the team around.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
FYI - There was a bulletin point in original post with a story by Jerry that was taken out because of the ‘P Word‘ and the story’s reference to a certain Ex-Governor. Really was no way to write it other than telling the story, it’s just how Jerry talks sometimes. Usually throws in 2-3 stories in each interview. But important to note in it Jerry was fully confident the Cowboys would be able to replace Will McClay if he did sign somewhere else. That was the morale of the story explained with a ‘Jerry-ism.’ LOL. Click audio if you want to hear what he said.

Mr_437

Reaction score

This was awesome how you put this together. Salute.

chagus

Reaction score

Great post!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Shots fried, he called the Packers fans the greatest fan base in all of sports
Before it turns into something it isn't.... LOL.... Just to be clear, he probably said "one of the greatest fan bases." But like I wrote up top, just a snapshot of longer interview.

He spent a few seconds talking about the GB/DAL legend. He obviously knows how much it means to NFL and Cowboys ratings.

rambo2

Reaction score
Agree. Do you think Jerry's comment about healthiest team he's ever seen is true? Is this one of those comments I'll see every year before the postseason if I rewind? LOL
For sure it's true. Just look at what the other teams have on their reports.

kevm3

Reaction score
I like what McCarthy is doing with the offense, but I need to see him do it against a legit contender. We still are getting beat up by the likes of San Francisco and other physical teams.

rags747

Reaction score

Cannot block, can offer more money.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So does Dallas get comp picks if McClay leaves for a GM spot or is that just for coaches?