Jones goes official today - its the 3-4 Defense!

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Nors said:
3-4 For Real

Don't think Parcells had the Cowboys rookies and eligible first-year players lining up in a 3-4 defense at this past mini-camp just to see how it looks. Jones said the Cowboys will open their full-squad, May 27-29 mini-camp lining up in a 3-4 defense.

Now this does not mean the Cowboys will line up exclusively in a 3-4 defense, but it appears Parcells will use the formation he's most familiar with as a staple. Thanks to this draft, the Cowboys now have some players capable of transitioning between the 3-4 and 4-3.

And the big question has been, what happens with La'Roi Glover? Jones said he'll be on the nose, and Glover, also out at Cowboys Golf Course to participate in the tournament, says he played the nose in New Orleans when the Saints dabbled in the 3-4 alignment.

:D
c'mon nors. 3-4 just gives the D extra ammo. we pretty much all agree on that point. but you didn't invent the dang scheme. :D

of course they will open up camp in the 3-4. being it's the alignment the team is least familiar with - it would be the obvious candidate to receive the most practice attention.

don't bury the 4-3 yet. i think you'll be seeing that formation a lot more than you appear to be prepared for.

it's conceivable dallas could go mainly 3-4. but, as most of the experienced (and proven) D-lineman on the cowboys roster are also least familiar with the 3-4, i think we'll see 4-3 on majority of defensive snaps when the regular season unfolds.

whatever... i just wanna passrush. :banghead:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now, every time I get stuck at a train crossing I'm going to be thinking about Nors at the front of the train hanging out the window wearing his little engineer cap with "3-4" on it screaming out the window "Ty Law .. Ty Law .. where for art thou Ty Law?" :D :D :D

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Reality said:
Now, every time I get stuck at a train crossing I'm going to be thinking about Nors at the front of the train hanging out the window wearing his little engineer cap with "3-4" on it screaming out the window "Ty Law .. Ty Law .. where for art thou Ty Law?" :D :D :D

:lmao2:

I wish now that I knew what Nors looked like. That blue and white pinstriped overall suit would just be too much to resist imagining him in....

blindzebra

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
:lmao2:

I wish now that I knew what Nors looked like. That blue and white pinstriped overall suit would just be too much to resist imagining him in....

here you go...

56542544lg.jpg

The doctor of the hybrid.:D

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I still wouldn't be surprised to see 4-3 over and under schemes. Its "3-4" ish and gets the best front 7 on the field. I had a thread about it with diagrams. It would get called a 3-4, but whatever, it would get Spears, Ellis, Glover, Ferguson, Ware, Nguyen and Burnett on the field at the same time, which is what I want.

I guess it is what Saban runs some of.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Reality said:

This is the 3-3 train reality. Want on?

Ty Law signs in Big D we are building the mother of all intergalactic spaceships. He is still available!

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
This is the 3-3 train reality. Want on?

Ty Law signs in Big D we are building the mother of all intergalactic spaceships. He is still available!
It was a great call Nors.

Most posters didn't believe we were going to implement or make the move to the 3-4 because we didn't have the personnel. If we are talking primary starters on the front 7 then I am in total agreement, but if you look at the big picture or entire defensive roster since Parcells took over it's very evident that Parcells has been making the transition to the 3-4 defense. Parcells started with the role or back-up players and finally worked his way into some of starting spots this off-season.

Good call Nors some folks are just better at reading the tea leaves.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Hostile said:
So do I. Stopping LT is paramount, and the 3-4 is suspect to the run.
Between the tackles it might be suspect (depending on the NT, DEs, and ILB play). However, I think it is pretty stout on the edges where LT can really hurt you.

Hoov

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
yeah Brain, thats the only way us thick headed people will ever learn that Nors was right. My mind will forever word associate Nors and 3-4

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoov said:
yeah Brain, thats the only way us thick headed people will ever learn that Nors was right. My mind will forever word associate Nors and 3-4

Well....Pavlov's dogs and you have something in common eh?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Charles said:
It was a great call Nors.

Most posters didn't believe we were going to implement or make the move to the 3-4 because we didn't have the personnel. If we are talking primary starters on the front 7 then I am in total agreement, but if you look at the big picture or entire defensive roster since Parcells took over it's very evident that Parcells has been making the transition to the 3-4 defense. Parcells started with the role or back-up players and finally worked his way into some of starting spots this off-season.

Good call Nors some folks are just better at reading the tea leaves.

Thanks - you are were in at the ground floor of this movement.
There was a minority that saw Parcells plan in motion. We are where we need to be now to kick major *** with our upgraded, bigger and more diverse defense.

Bring some football!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
Thanks - you are were in at the ground floor of this movement.
There was a minority that saw Parcells plan in motion. We are where we need to be now to kick major *** with our upgraded, bigger and more diverse defense.

Bring some football!

This is surprising to me. Vertually eveybody saw Parcells and put two and tow together. At some point, a 3-4 would probably be used but it's the timing of the whole thing. You have been screaming this since BP got here. Most have been saying that it would take time to do this. I do not understand the need for you to point this out as if the idea was unique to only you and a few of your hand picked mouskateers. The fact here is that most were correct and you were wrong. We are now into our 3rd season and the 3-4 will start to take shape. If I run around and claim that the world is going to end, would I be wrong? Eventually, it will happen but probably not tomorrow. Who would be correct in that instance? Me, who says the world is going to end or the guys in the white coats with the tazer guns who come to cart me away?

I don't see it as the defense but simply another defensive set. What's the big deal?

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
You really are that dense. It's not an act.

I never said we weren't going to a 3-4. I said weren't going with the personnel we had.

I was right. Game, set, and match.

Hos ... Nors isn't dense ... he's been talking about tweeners and hybrids for a long time. I respect your football insight, but he was right about the direction the team would go.

The same is going to happen to you and your BZ when seaseon comes around and Henson never sniffs the field.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hybrids, Tweeners - 3-4 Defense

Doesn't get much better than that!