0/2

KJ

1/1

Green Bay 14th Ranked Rushing D

33-156-1td ........4.7 ypc

Some thoughts

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think both teams got very good RB. I love the fact that Dallas was able to get a back like J. Jones and I'm sure the Detriot fans feel the same about their guy.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I think both teams got very good RB. I love the fact that Dallas was able to get a back like J. Jones and I'm sure the Detriot fans feel the same about their guy.

I like the fact we got Jones and the extra number one this year.

Had we stuck to our guns and took Kevin Jones like rumoured, we would not have had the oppurtunity to select Spears.

I will take that all day, every day.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:

Had we stuck to our guns and took Kevin Jones like rumoured, we would not have had the oppurtunity to select Spears.

I agree with you. I just did not want to add the other factor into this (getting the extra 1) but just wanted to look at the RB as individuals and even without the extra 1 Ju. Jones to me looks just as good as any back out there. I love his speed and quick change of directions, I think once he gets comfortable and more involved in the passing game I think he will become even a greater threat

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:

Agreed...It appears we were going to take Kevin or Julius so that makes me feel good that either way it seems we would have came out looking good.

But to add Julius Jones AND Marcus Spears...at this point just makes it look great.

If Marcus Spears does half as well as I think he can, and Julius stays healthy and keeps putting up good numbers.. then we got the better end of the deal by far.

dallasblue05

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Agreed...It appears we were going to take Kevin or Julius so that makes me feel good that either way it seems we would have came out looking good.

But to add Julius Jones AND Marcus Spears...at this point just makes it look great.

If Marcus Spears does half as well as I think he can, and Julius stays healthy and keeps putting up good numbers.. then we got the better end of the deal by far.

You said it. I remember watching Julius in that first game he was back. Man, I was so excited. And everytime he made a play, my eyes were glued. I didnt even want to grab food or anything, I was so afraid I would miss something he did. I think it will be the same way this year with our defense. When they line up that first time of the season, I already know how big of a smile my face will have, that really goofy smile that my girlfriend doesnt like to see. She says its not the cutest in the world, but hey, its a Cowboys thing, and because of that I will wear it loud and proud.

31smackdown

Reaction score
I haven't seen enough of KJ, but I really like the way that JJ runs both between the tackles and with a burst to get outside. He always "squirms" for extra yards at the end of his runs and almost always fall foward which is great. He seems to be able to make himself small to get between the last couple of tacklers. If he could pick up his route running and catching out of the backfield I think he will be deadly.

KJ didn't seem too impressive early last year, I'm interested in watching him some more. Anyone watch a lot of him? What is his style? He seems like he might be more of a glider than JJ and that number 34? makes him look bigger.

parchy

Reaction score
Found this from here... http://two.mostvaluablenetwork.com

Julius Jones vs. Kevin Jones

Will: Julius Jones: Julius Jones will prove himself as the most exciting player in pro football this year… and no, I’m not delusional. I’ve had the privelege of studying hours of game tape on Julius Jones and he is a special player, no doubt about it. He has unbelievable breakaway speed and break-tackling ability for a man his size, not to mention his ankle-breaking side-to-side moves. His ‘durability issues’ may raise questions in everybody’s mind on Jones, but rest your weary thoughts at easy. Julius doesn’t have injury problems… remember this. Julius Jones has had one major injury in his entire football career, which he suffered in Week 2 last year. Add to that that he became just the third running back in NFL history to have 30 carries in three straight games, and I don’t see how he has true durability issues. Jones also has a better supporting cast around him this year. Drew Bledsoe is an obvious upgrade from the woeful Vinny Testaverde (who stacked the box because of his inabilities), and his line is stocked with two perennial pro bowlers in Larry Allen and Marco Rivera and two consistant blockers in Flozell Adams and Al Johnson. The holes will be there… it’s a matter of Julius juking the secondary out of their respective shoes, which he will do with ease. Add Parcells’ genius running schemes to the mix and you have the recipie for one explosive running game in Dallas this year. Expect nothing less than 1,400 yards and 10 touchdowns from Julius Jones this year.

Mike: Kevin Jones: Kevin Jones in my opinion will have the best breakout season of all running backs, so I believe you should draft him in the first round. Why you may ask? Simply because Jones ran for 906 yards in the second half of his rookie season. He even ended up running for 1133 yards in an offense where Joey Harrington is on the edge of being replaced by now journeyman Jeff Garcia. This year looks to be no different for Jones, but much different for Harrington. With arguably the three best young receivers in all of football, the Lions and Joey Harrington will have no excuse in not producing offense in the air next year. With three solid receivers, the Lions’ offense should open up well for Jones to run in as many times opposing defenses will be forced to put three cornerbacks on the field to cover the gifted receivers. This translates into big gains for Kevin Jones who already averaged 4.7 yards a carry in his rookie season. Julius on the other hand does not have the same situation in Dallas, as many teams will be ready to stack the box for Julius as there is no proven deep threat on the Cowboys. Therefore, Kevin, not Julius is the back that breaks out and the back you should not let slip out of your hands late in round one.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Looking at yards per carry given up, Kevin Jones played - literally - the worst teams in the league in his great 7 game stretch. I believe only one of the teams he faced 'held' their opponents to below 4.6 yards per carry on the season. Look at the list of defenses according to yards per carry and you won't have to look above the bottom 8 slots to find almost every team he faced to close the season. I believe the best run defense he faced was actually Chicago, and we know how Julius did against them. Green Bay didn't give up a lot of yards rushing, but it's probably because they had the 6th lowest rushing attempts against in the league. They still gave up an average of 4.6 yards per rush.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If you are going to try and make comparisons of these players, the most logical way to do it is to compare commen opponents.

In 2004, Kevin Jones and Julius Jones had four commen opponents. The Bears, the Eagles, the Skinz and the Gmen.

Interestingly enough, 3 of the 4 were Eastern Division games.

Here is how each performed:

Bears -

Kevin Jones:
25 Atts, 123 Yrds, 4.9 YPC, 1 TD, 1 Fmbl, 1 Rec, 8 Yrds, 8 YPR.

Julius Jones:
33 Atts, 150 Yrds, 4.5 YPC, 2 TDs, 1 Rec, -1 Yrd, -1.0 YPR.

Philly -

Kevin Jones:
4 Atts, 8 Yrds, 2 YPC,

Julius Jones:
25 Atts, 80 Yrds, 3.2 YPC, 2 Rec, 21 Yrds, 10.5 YPR.

Skinz -

Kevin Jones:
12 Atts, 20 Yrds, 1.7 YPC, 1 Rec, 3 Yrds, 3 YPR.

Julius Jones:
22 Atts, 57 Yrds, 2.6 YPC, 1 Fmbl, 2 Rec, 10 Yrds, 5.0 YPR.

Gmen -

Kevin Jones:
13 Atts, 65 Yrds, 5.0 YPC, 1 TD.

Julius Jones:
29 Atts, 149 Yrds, 5.1 YPC, 1 TD, 5 Rec, 46 Yrds, 9.2 YPR.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Another factor, Julius ran for 7 TDs in his final 7 games, Kevin ran for 4. Julius could have boosted his average if the field was just a little longer. ;)

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
yards against Rushing D by average per carry:

KJ

Arizona - 32 ranked Rushing D--4.7 ypc

26-196-1td...........7.5 ypc

Indy- 30 ranked rushing D ---4.6 ypc

12-99-0td ............8.3 ypc

Greenbay- 28 ranked rushuing D---- 4.6 ypc

33-156-1td.........4.7 ypc

Minnesota (twice)- 27 ranked rushing D------4.6

19-100-0td.......5.3 ypc

19-790td......4.2 ypc

Tennesee -26 ranked rushing D------4.6 ypc

19-72-0td..........3.8 ypc

Chiacgo- 17th ranked D-4.1 YPC

25-123-1td..........4.9 ypc

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
now JJ

Baltimore-4th ranked D 3.6 ypc

30-81-0yd ......2.70 ypc

Chiacgo- 17th ranked D-4.1 YPC

33-150-2td.....4.5

Seattle 24 ranked rushing D 4.6 ypc

30-198-3td......6.6 ypc

New Orleans 29 ranked rushing D- 4.6 YPC

23-88-1 td ........3.8 ypc

Ealges 19 ranked rushing D--4.6 ypc

25-80-0td.............3.2 ypc

Washgton 1 ranked rushing D-3.1 ypc

22-57-0td........2.6 ypc

New York Giants 20th ranked rushing D- 4.3 ypc

29-149-1td............5.1 ypc

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
If you are going to try and make comparisons of these players, the most logical way to do it is to compare commen opponents.

In 2004, Kevin Jones and Julius Jones had four commen opponents. The Bears, the Eagles, the Skinz and the Gmen.

Interestingly enough, 3 of the 4 were Eastern Division games.

Here is how each performed:

Bears -

Kevin Jones:
25 Atts, 123 Yrds, 4.9 YPC, 1 TD, 1 Fmbl, 1 Rec, 8 Yrds, 8 YPR.

Julius Jones:
33 Atts, 150 Yrds, 4.5 YPC, 2 TDs, 1 Rec, -1 Yrd, -1.0 YPR.

Philly -

Kevin Jones:
4 Atts, 8 Yrds, 2 YPC,

Julius Jones:
25 Atts, 80 Yrds, 3.2 YPC, 2 Rec, 21 Yrds, 10.5 YPR.

Skinz -

Kevin Jones:
12 Atts, 20 Yrds, 1.7 YPC, 1 Rec, 3 Yrds, 3 YPR.

Julius Jones:
22 Atts, 57 Yrds, 2.6 YPC, 1 Fmbl, 2 Rec, 10 Yrds, 5.0 YPR.

Gmen -

Kevin Jones:
13 Atts, 65 Yrds, 5.0 YPC, 1 TD.

Julius Jones:
29 Atts, 149 Yrds, 5.1 YPC, 1 TD, 5 Rec, 46 Yrds, 9.2 YPR.

the problem with that is that Jones played them at differnt stages, hte chigaco game yes, but other games Jones palyed early in the seaosnw hile he was still getting used ot the game, the last 7 games both were starting and made most of their yards, thats what i went off of

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
the problem with that is that Jones played them at differnt stages, hte chigaco game yes, but other games Jones palyed early in the seaosnw hile he was still getting used ot the game, the last 7 games both were starting and made most of their yards, thats what i went off of

I don't see why. You can easily make the case that when JJ came back from injury, they were all early games for him.

JDSmith

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:

While it's true that Kevin (I assume that's the Jones you mean in this case) played those teams early and was getting used to the game - isn't it also true that Julius was getting used to the game when he played them? Having sat out and rehabbed rather than practicing for the vast majority of his time away he didn't really have much chance to adapt to the game prior to being thrown to the wolves.

JDSmith

Reaction score
I think this year Julius will put up much better numbers than he did last year. It was absolutely amazing how many good to great runs he made when defenders were in the backfield. If we get some better blocking (and Rivera for Gurode is a guaranteed upgrade), Julius will have the opportunity to get through the line before he has to juke anyone, rather than having to do it 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
SO julius wasn't getting used to the nfl?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
One thing to consider in this debate is that, after Julius came back, Parcells kept giving him the ball even when he wasn't having a lot of success (see the Baltimore and Philly games, for example). On the other hand, Detroit often abandoned running with Kevin if he wasn't doing much. Anytime Kevin averaged less than 4.0 yards per carry in the first half, he never got the ball more than seven times in the second half.