Jordan Mills added to roster

conner01

Reaction score
I don't know a thing about him but probably a fair assessment
The odds are in your favor

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Started the last 2 yrs for the Bears at RT and let go today, can't be any worse than Weems for the swing tackle.....

I reviewed him in the Cowboys game and Bills game from last season. He was decent. His pass protection was reasonably good. The Cowboys pass rush couldn't do anything to him and he held up OK against the Bill and Mario Williams. His run blocking was not too good, but pass pro is the primary concern with a backup OT, IMO.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
I have a problem with this whole "can't be worse" thing. That shouldn't be the standard. We should be thinking "he's definitely better than..." Otherwise, we're just rearranging chairs on the Titanic. Mills might be better than Weems, but Weems has been with the team, and he knows the system and the plays. Most of us don't see every play, or break it down like the coaches do. I'm sure they look at guys like Mills, and then compare him to Weems, and if they like him better, they make a change. If not, then they don't. Same goes for Weeden. I keep hearing names like Flynn, Cassell, Ponder...but I don't think those guys are any better. Yeah, Flynn has had a couple of good games in his career. He's also been released by a bunch of teams, good and bad. Same for Cassell. Ponder has washed out with the Vikings and the Raiders. But everyone has basically adopted the ABW philosophy when it comes to our BACKUP QB...Anybody But Weeden. I'm not a huge fan of the guy, and I'd love to see us do better. But it's pointless to go after someone because he had a couple of good games over a 5 year span, or he was awesome in college, or for nothing more than he's just a different guy.

Questfor6

Reaction score
They got him according to Twitter, Weems days are numbered

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I reviewed him in the Cowboys game and Bills game from last season. He was decent. His pass protection was reasonably good. The Cowboys pass rush couldn't do anything to him and he held up OK against the Bill and Mario Williams. His run blocking was not too good, but pass pro is the primary concern with a backup OT, IMO.

The couldn't do anything against anyone last year. :laugh:

BoysWin

Reaction score
Started the last 2 yrs for the Bears at RT and let go today, can't be any worse than Weems for the swing tackle.....

pre-draft scouting report from nfl.com
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Mills has tremendous size and power in his upper and lower body. Mills is always hustling, and doesn't stop working until the whistle blows. He shows good awareness on stunts and sells play action passes very well. Mills has a very good first step. Takes a powerful inside step to cut off defenders. Showcases this step and balance on seal and reach blocks. Coordinated, with a good pass set.
WEAKNESSES
Inconsistent in his aiming point. Will grab outside of the chest plate, which will result in holding calls. Mills isn't very quick off the snap, and can be beaten almost instantaneously because of this. Mills can also be found lunging at his blocks too often. Never played left tackle.
NFL COMPARISON
Michael Oher
BOTTOM LINE
Mills is a powerful player with tremendous size. He combines this size with great hustle. Aside from a couple starts at guard his freshman season, Mills has only played at right tackle, but scouts will likely see him as a versatile prospect capable of playing left tackle, right tackle, or guard. Mills could find himself as a top-100 selection.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
pre-draft scouting report from nfl.com
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Mills has tremendous size and power in his upper and lower body. Mills is always hustling, and doesn't stop working until the whistle blows. He shows good awareness on stunts and sells play action passes very well. Mills has a very good first step. Takes a powerful inside step to cut off defenders. Showcases this step and balance on seal and reach blocks. Coordinated, with a good pass set.
WEAKNESSES
Inconsistent in his aiming point. Will grab outside of the chest plate, which will result in holding calls. Mills isn't very quick off the snap, and can be beaten almost instantaneously because of this. Mills can also be found lunging at his blocks too often. Never played left tackle.
NFL COMPARISON
Michael Oher
BOTTOM LINE
Mills is a powerful player with tremendous size. He combines this size with great hustle. Aside from a couple starts at guard his freshman season, Mills has only played at right tackle, but scouts will likely see him as a versatile prospect capable of playing left tackle, right tackle, or guard. Mills could find himself as a top-100 selection.

Almost sounds like he would be better off at guard (strong, hard working and physical). If he is slow off the snap, then he can't play LT, at least until he gets that fixed.

BoysWin

Reaction score
Almost sounds like he would be better off at guard (strong, hard working and physical). If he is slow off the snap, then he can't play LT, at least until he gets that fixed.

Gets me thinking that Leary, Collins, Mills will compete at OG and Zach Martin may become the next RT?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Mills will be backup right tackle and Weems will be back up left tackle.

My guess is that we let Mills/Weems fight for backup RT and plan to flip Free to LT if we ever have to use a backup. We can't let Weems protect Tony's blind side after how he showed in PS.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
My guess is that we let Mills/Weems fight for backup RT and plan to flip Free to LT if we ever have to use a backup. We can't let Weems protect Tony's blind side after how he showed in PS.

And it looks like Mills will win that battle. I think Weems days are numbered.

dallasdave

Reaction score

Good point !!! Weems is weak !!