Jordan Phillips the 3 tech?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

New Cowboys DT Jordan Phillips said he’s familiar with Mike Zimmer’s defensive scheme because he has worked with some other coaches from Zimmer’s coaching tree. “It’s just like riding a bike.”

On why the Cowboys are a good scheme fit for him: “The (3-tech DT) comes off the ball and they get to make a lot of plays, and that’s what I like to do.”

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

New Cowboys DT Jordan Phillips said he’s familiar with Mike Zimmer’s defensive scheme because he has worked with some other coaches from Zimmer’s coaching tree. “It’s just like riding a bike.”

On why the Cowboys are a good scheme fit for him: “The (3-tech DT) comes off the ball and they get to make a lot of plays, and that’s what I like to do.”

Phillips has really never been a good run stopper

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So it's Osa, Phillips at the 3 and Mazi, Rogers at the 1 right now.

I mean I know Phillips had 9 sacks one season but that was years ago and has been a complete outlier in his career. He doesn't get the sacks a 3 tech needs to get.

Then again, neither does the starter. So there shouldn't be a drop off.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So it's Osa, Phillips at the 3 and Mazi, Rogers at the 1 right now.

I mean I know Phillips had 9 sacks one season but that was years ago and has been a complete outlier in his career. He doesn't get the sacks a 3 tech needs to get.

Then again, neither does the starter. So there shouldn't be a drop off.
They did move gholston and fehoko back to de so that helped and opened up more of a need for depth

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

More…

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Zimmer and Jones alluded to adding more inside. This makes it clearer they’re looking for a 1T. If they can’t find a trade, Joseph as a FA is probably the fallback option.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Zimmer and Jones alluded to adding more inside. This makes it clearer they’re looking for a 1T. If they can’t find a trade, Joseph as a FA is probably the fallback option.
Yeah he's a vet who doesn't want to do camp, will sign and will start on the PS or whatever then he'll be activated for games

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think if they had interest in Joseph they would have at least brought him in for a workout.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

In Saturday's game, we lined up Phillips and Huggins next to each other on early downs. Zimmer might want to put Phillips next to Mazi on early downs rather than having Osa out there. Could do essentially a three-man rotation with Phillips and Osa playing 3-tech and Mazi and Phillips playing 1-tech.